PetSmart

Relevance Date Difficulty

Bather Interview

Bather
Loganville, GA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at PetSmart in July 2013.

Interview Details – The manager of the Loganville PetSmart should really be ashamed of their employees. I arrived to my interview about 10 minutes early and was greeted by an employee. I told her why I was there and she told the office manager that I was interviewing with that I was there. She came back and told me that the manager said it would be about 15 minutes and to look around the store and she would come find me. So, I looked around the store for about 45 minutes to an hour and no one ever came to get me. Eventually, the employee who originally greeted me saw me and asked if the manager ever came and got me. I replied no and she went and informed the manager that I was still waiting. I saw the employee and the manager laughing and the employee came over and told me that she was ready. I walked into her office and she told me that she had forgotten about me. So, the interview starts and in the middle of me answering my first question, the phone rings and she answered it. She then leaves the room without saying anything and gets another employee to interview me. The employee was not prepared for the interview and barely asked any questions. The manager came in towards the end and messed around on her computer the whole time. Once it was over, the manager turned around and said she would inform me a few days later if they decided to hire me or not. I never received a call to inform me that I had not gotten the job.

Interview Question – Are you afraid of any dog breeds?   View Answer

Pet Care Associate Interview

Pet Care Associate
Warner Robins, GA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at PetSmart in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online on a Friday. Got a call for an interview the following Monday. Interview was set up for the upcoming Thursday. Interviewed with a manager (not sure if operations or general manager) for about 35 minutes. She had a clipboard and told me that she had questions that she was required to ask.The first question I was asked was why I wanted to work at PetSmart. Second question was if I owned any pets, what kind, how long, and if I had experience with animals other than the ones I have owned. All other questions were hypothetical retail-based questions, such as if you are dealing with an angry/difficult customer, how would you handle the situation? if a customer asks you a question you don't know the answer to, how would you handle the situation? if there is a policy that you don't agree with, how would you handle it? how would you explain something technical in an easily understandable way to a customer/associate? Etc Etc. It was a fairly straightforward interview. We talked about the dog that I had adopted from a local shelter that held it's adoption drives in that particular store, how I'm an animal science major and had extensive knowledge of animal behavior, animal anatomy and physiology, and illness prevention techniques. When she was done asking me questions, she brought in the second manager and she asked me to tell her a little about myself, etc. then she brought me out onto the floor where we did a roleplay exercise. She played a customer with a daughter that had a barbie themed room and wanted a fishtank to match. After that was over, they handed me the paperwork for a drug test and told me to go take it. Was worried about it, because one of my medications will give a positive. Told them this, and she thanked me for my candor. At no point, did she or the lab techs write down any medications I was on. Lab tech told me that if it came back positive, a medical review specialist would contact me to get my prescription info and they would verify it. This never happened. Drug test results came back on Tuesday of the next week, and the manager that called me said that everything came back good and wanted to know when I could come in to start my training, and what shirt size I wear.

Interview Question – If there is a policy that I didn't agree with, how would I handle it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – "Negotiation" was "We'll start you off at 7.75, is that ok with you?" Though, it was really more of a statement than negotiation.

Professional Bather Interview

Professional Bather
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at PetSmart in September 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed with salon manager and was asked very basic interview questions about things like strengths&weaknesses. Afterwards the store manager came in and talked to me briefly. Like a week later they called me to say I was hired.

Interview Question – What do you like the least about working?   View Answer

Cashier Interview

Cashier
New York, NY

I applied online and interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview Details – At the end, the store manager asks you basic questions. Hands you a product and will ask you to try to sell it to him

Very Easy Interview

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Tempe, AZ

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at PetSmart in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online. I got a call back less than a week later. I got an interview the next day after the phone call. I only had 1 interview and "got hired" on the spot, but would have to pass a drug test that they promptly gave me the lab work for and I went and took care of that right away. The interview only lasted about 10 minutes.

Interview Question – The questions were not difficult. He wanted to know why I wanted to work there, and for what schedules. He wanted to know what I was going to school for and what kind of experience I had with cashiering, customer service, and animals.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Well he offered me the job and I took it. We shook on it. My advice is to dress and look nice, smile, be prepared to answer questions, and go in there with experience in cashiering, customer service, and animal related work. I'm pretty sure that it's the animal related work that ultimately got me the job, because his face lit up when I told him about it.

ETL Developer Interview

Phoenix, AZ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at PetSmart in August 2009.

Interview Details – totally 3 interviewers interviewed me. they started the interview by introducing the company first. Then ask me to describe my previous project. Once I finished introducing my previous project they ask me about 20 questions. All questions are data warehousing tuning questions. Since this is a senior position they need people with a lot of experience all questions are related to real work problems. I answered all questions and got the offer next day after the interview.

Interview Question – questions are easy for me since I met all questions in my previous projects.   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

Reno, NV

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in October 2013.

Interview Details – First, there was a screening interview with a very professional HR Manager (nice lady). Then, there was a 30 minute test dealing with words meaning, basic math. One week later, I interviewed by a GM.

The interview was focused my job/skill interests AND the manager wanted to understand in great detail why I had left my last two employers. The GM got "stuck" on why I left each of my former employers which had a average stay time of 6 years each. He seemed want to understand motives.

There as very direct questions regarding what shifts I would be interested in working. I was asked what I liked most about working for X company.

I was asked questions about dealing with difficult people, improving employee satisfaction, and improving a process. Interviewer wanted examples....

Interview Question – The interview was focused my job/skill interests AND the manager wanted to understand in great detail why I had left my last two employers. The GM got "stuck" on why I left each of my former employers which had a average stay time of 6 years each. At one point, I heard myself saying "let's get on with the interview."

There as very direct questions about what type of shifts I would be interested in working. I was asked what I liked most about working for X company.

Petsmart has had the opportunity open for several months and still has yet to make a decision any another candidate. If you are looking for a job in 60 days you are wasting your time interviewing at the DC level. They can NOT make decisions in reasonable time.
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Pay is VERY low. DM's earn equal to supervisors are other DC's. One of the lower paying companies,
24/7 operations which means possible rotation on a shift you do you want.
4 day a week schedule still requires you come in for meetings on your day off every three weeks.
I did not feel I would grow here. It's more for those attending school and so on.
The pay is about the same as it was years ago according to those I know that were offered positiones there years ago.
The bonus package is average but not great.
Company seemed to want to sell themselves as a "preferred" employer but really they were not different than all others in the industry.
GM did not sell me that his site was a good place to work Vs other places.
During my research, I learned one supervisor recently left to another company for higher pay. This will be an ongoing issue with PetSmart, yet they hold DM's accountable turnover for not paying a fair wage of the warehouse work as a manager. People want to be paid to a fair wage.

Very Easy Interview

Stock Lead and Petcare Lead Interview

Wilmington, DE

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview Details – hiring is different depending on the store you work at . there is no set rules that any manager follows ...

Interview Question – I never even had a interview , I was hired on the spot   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – the don't negotiate at all there pay rates are set in stone

Bather Interview

Bather
Newnan, GA

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview Details – I applied over the internet and it took over two months. I was called in for an interview twice. The first time the manager who was supposed to interview me wasn't there because the manager who wrote my appointment down wrote it down wrong from what the other managers said. I had a quick interview by another manager. I never received a call back. The second time I was called in for an interview I was interviewed by the Grooming Manager. The manager who called me for the interview also gave me the wrong time to come in so I was about an hour and a half early.

Interview Question – There weren't any unexpected nor difficult questions. They simply want to know if you can multitask.   Answer Question

Early Morning Stocker Interview

Early Morning Stocker

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in September 2012.

Interview Details – A new store was opening near me so I put in an application. About a week later I got a call inviting me to an interview the next day at a nearby hotel. I answered the usual behavioral question and I was offered a job on the spot and went for a drug test the next day.

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you had someone try something new and how did it go?
A customer comes in and wants four comets for a ten gallon tank what do you tell them?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pay was based on my experience, there was no negotiation.

Interviews for Top Jobs at PetSmart