PetSmart

Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.9

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Operations Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart in August 2014.

Well i had a good experience with the interview process. The store manager was really fun and laid back and made you feel really comfortable about everything. Then i had to meet with another store manager a week later where she was the opposite of the first manager but still a great interview. Petsmart process for some takes really long and they lose good candidates because of the slow process. My process took maybe 2 to 3 weeks only because they really liked me and said they didn't want this process to be slow so they actually went in and did everything to get me in there. Overall, it was a good process and the people seem genuine. I start next week and hope it'll be a great job.

Interview Questions
  • None really. Unless you never worked with pets a question for me was, "What would you do if a dog was injured or died while in the custody of petsmart."   View Answer
I was offered 50k so i didn't negotiate because i thought it was a fair an offer and above the average of 47k.

Other Interview Reviews for PetSmart

Operations Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at PetSmart in July 2014.

I am in the process of applying for positions and the interview is scheduled for later this week. Most people use this site as a way to prepare for the process, so it is difficult to answer these questions before the process is completed.

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at PetSmart.

Two interviews total, hired out of career center from college, interview process much longer if not out of college

Interview Questions
    Negotiate as high as possible, job hard on family/social life

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at PetSmart in August 2012.

the process is too long it may have as many as 5 or 6 steps it becomes redundant they can all ask the same questions in how you would handle your self and the expected out come if you do not get head spins as to the process. Find out what the pay range be for you spend the time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saltillo, MS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saltillo, MS

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart in June 2012.

I was internally promoted to this position but still had to do a phone interview with a store manager from another store. As I understand the process is similar for a candidate from a external source. Phone interview with a store manager from another Petsmart location.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about how you have handled difficult associates and difficult customers? What was the outcome? How could you have handled the situation differently?

Tell me how you would coach and struggling or underperforming associate?

What do you think this job entails? How do you think you are qualified for this position?

View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boardman, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boardman, OH

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at PetSmart in April 2012.

I had one interview. I went to the store, and met with the assistant manager. He asked me questions about my knowledge in inventory and stocking. He also wanted to know my experience in management; such as talking one on one with associates about problems and change. I was also questioned about my customer service skills and was asked to discuss times I have went out of my way for a customer. I was very surprised when the interview was finished and no questions about my experience with animals were asked. After the panel of questions, the manager showed me around the store. We then went back to the office were I gave all my information for a background check. The manager seemed very interested in hiring me and said, "I will definitely be calling you as soon as the background check comes back." However, I was very disappointed because after two weeks, I still received no call. I called him back several times and left messages with no call returned.

Interview Questions
    • How can you ensure every customer is 100% satisfied in with every visit?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at PetSmart in December 2011.

I applied online. After providing the standard job application info, applicants are asked to respond to a long list of statements with reactions between "Strongly Disagree" and "Strongly Agree". The statements are along the lines of, "I get along well with others."

A week or two after applying I received an email asking me to take another online assessment. This tested personality and math skills. The math was basic.

I did two phone interviews and at least three in-person interviews. The interviewers were all pretty green, and the questions were mostly softballs. A typical interview prompt was something like, "Tell me about a time you ran into a problem at work and how you solved it." The interview process took about two months altogether.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, LA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart in October 2009.

First interview was face to face with the DM. Second interview was with RHR.

Interview Questions
    • What do you feel that most difficult animal you would have problems working with?   View Answers (2)
    Pay was according to my work experance

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at PetSmart in October 2008.

fill out application online at Petsmart.com..will recieve call from management when interested. Will have 2-3 interviews, one with Operations Manager, one with Department Manager, and one with Store manager. If hired, LOTS of training videos and tests that you will be taking (important information you need). They are looking for great energy and enthusiasm. Expertise in any given area is not necessary, they train you for your position, you just need to have great communication and customer service skills

Interview Questions
    • One of the hardest for most is that they will ask you demonstrate your selling skills on the spot..you will need to be confident show your personality!   View Answer
    I had already been with a company for 15 years, they knew my salary then and they actually offered more...I accepted

Operations Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at PetSmart.

I applied online to the position of Operations Manager. After about a week I received a call and set up an interview. The first interview was with another Operations. Manager. I found this manager to be very personable and he put me at ease during the interview. He was very upbeat and really seemed to love working for Petsmart. The next day the Store Manager of the store needing to hire an Operations Manager called me and we set up an interview a few days latter.

This Store Manager had a very different personality then the previous one. He seemed to be a bit cold and was very direct. To this point I was not asked any really difficult questions but I did start to wonder if I would enjoy working here. He described the position of consisting of five 10 hour workdays. What ever happened to the 40-hour workweek in America and the idea of work/life balance? Anyway, I received a phone call from the Store Manager about 2 hours after leaving. He wanted me to come back in right away for my third interview this time with the District Manager and we set up a time for the next day.

When I arrived at the store the following day for the interview I alerted a cashier that I was here and if she could let the D.M. know. She stated that she didn't think the DM was in but she would tell Store Manager. Within less then 30 seconds two women one of them being the DM approached me. I was escorted to a small conference room where the interview would take place. As we were walking to the conference room we passed by the Store Manager who hardly even acknowledged me.

I am still not sure who the other woman was in the room with us as she said almost nothing and remained stoned faced throughout the interview. I assume she was from the HR department. Once the interview began it felt more like an interrogation then an interview. For the next hour I was drilled on my background, what I did, why I did things, how I did things and the outcome, what I would do differently etc.

Now I understand behavioral based interviews but I felt as though I was put on the defensive and I even felt as though the DM was a little condescending. Needless to say I did not come away with a good feeling I actually left feeling a little upset by the experience. Oh yes and as I was leaving the store the Store Manger was walking past me with another associate, again he hardly even acknowledged me as I walked past him.

The most unexpected thing that happened to me during the interview was at the end the DM asked me what questions I had and when I asked about growth opportunities. The DM responded in a way that made me feel like I was in a performance review. She said something along the lines of, "Well I think this position would be challenging for you because you don't have a lot of inventory experience. You have great experience in people development and coaching which is something that many of our Operations Mangers lack but I think you would have a lot to learn about our services and inventory systems etc."

Of course with any new position with a new company I expect challenges. I welcome them and I hope to learn new things. However, I have 20 years or retail experience and I have managed up to 100 employees at a store that did over $20MM in annual sales. During my 20 years don't you think I would have been responsible for inventory results? Don't you think I would know a little something about operations, inventory, shrink, scheduling etc? During my career some of the positions I have held have been Customer Service Manager, Assistant Manager, Inventory Coordinator, Store Manager, Associate Manager, General Manager and others. I have had Assistant Managers whose division of responsibility was inventory/operations report directly to me. So I was not only surprised but I nearly fell off my chair when she said this to me. I was so shocked by her statement that I was at a loss for words.

Being a customer of Petsmart I no longer feel like I even want to shop here never mind work here.