PetSmart Pet Care Associate Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

1.8

Pet Care Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview

It was very informal. It was one on one first with the store manager then with the customer service manager. They only asked a few questions. Was hired on the spot. Suppose there's not a lot they need to know about you beyond your previous work history and impression.

Other Interview Reviews for PetSmart

Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at PetSmart (Federal Way, WA).

Interview

I applied on a Thursday night and was called the next day asking when they could have me in for an interview. I walked in 5 minutes early the manager greeted me right away, saying they had just had a meeting and she had to clean up. She then told me to walk around a bit until and she would come find me when she was ready. We sat down in the dog training area, and she asked me situational questions. Then she got the other manager and he asked more about my situation, why I was applying, and if I had ever been late of missed work at my last job for any reason.

Interview Questions

• Why petsmart?   1 Answer
    • If you see someone standing in the leash and collar isle looking confused, what would you do?   Answer Question
    • How far away do you live from this location?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever missed work for illness or been late for unexplained reasons to your previous jobs?   Answer Question
    • What animals do you have?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at PetSmart (Fort Lauderdale, FL).

Interview

Supper brief, asked if I had pets and if I was willing to learn. Was tolled what I was going to be paid and asked my availability. Sent me to get a drug test. Next day I received my shirt and began the training.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Pet Care Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview

Easy interview. The manager was very friendly and laid back. He mainly talked about himself and the company. He said to expect a phone call within the next week and he called me the next day saying I got the job.

Pet Care Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at PetSmart in July 2015.

Interview

Well I had an interview at nine today, I show up at nine and the manager introduces himself and steps away for like 10 minutes. So I'm standing there by myself awkwardly. Later, when the manager comes back he takes me into this tiny messy room and starts asking me a few questions. Needless to say, the interview was very relaxed because he only talked about himself. considering this was my first ever interview it went okay until he told me I would only be getting around 17 hours a week! On top of that, he was reviewing me for the cashier position in which I didn't want.

Interview Questions

No hours, not professional, not the position I wanted

Pet Care Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview

I was interviewed by the HR manager and another manager. They were very friendly and relaxed and asked me basic questions about the job. After asking some questions, they took me out on the floor and had me pretend to sell them pets and products. The interview portion was done in private in the break room.

Interview Questions

• I'm a mother of a ten-year-old boy. I'm looking for a first pet for my son. What would you recommend?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mansfield, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PetSmart (Mansfield, OH) in June 2015.

Interview

Called for an interview for the next day with the OP Manager and then was interviewed the next day by the Store Manager. Both were very friendly and seemed pleasant. Was asked typical questions like why do you want to work here and what hours are you available for. One or two questions about certain situations and what animal had you worked with previously.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at PetSmart (Atlanta, GA) in May 2015.

Interview

Filled out an online application, never heard back to about 5 weeks later I called them an they gave me an interview the same day. Went in and interviewed with the HR manager and then the GM straight after. The GM gave me somthing like a second interview then he offered me a spot on the job if i passed the drug screen.

Interview Questions

• Any animals your are not comfortable with   1 Answer
    • Name a time where you had to work with a difficult customer   Answer Question
    • what was a previous job you held like?   Answer Question
    • why petsmart? where do i see myself in the fall, or down the line?   Answer Question
    • How do you feel about punctuality and dress code   Answer Question

Negotiation

He looked at my asking Pay which was 8.00, then looked at my current job pay which is higher and offered 8.50. I took it and was happy

Pet Care Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at PetSmart in May 2015.

Interview

After applying to about 10 different Petsmart's (it's really hard to get an interview with them), I got a phone call on the 15th of May telling me I got an interview. I went in within about three days, and interviewed with one manager. I got a second interview, and they offered me a job position. You do have to go take a mandatory pre-employment drug test, and it takes them FOREVER to get you the results. About two weeks. I started my job over a month later-- the 24th of June. It was a long process, but I think it will have definitely been worth the wait!

Interview Questions

• Pick any item from the sales floor and sell it to me.   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Petsmart?   Answer Question
    • There were many different "case scenario" questions. 1. Was there a time you went above and beyond for a customer? 2. Have you ever talked a guest into buying an item other than what they were intending to buy? 3. Was there ever a time that you disagreed with a manager/other authority? How did you handle that situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at PetSmart (Orlando, FL) in April 2015.

Interview

I went right in, about 10 minutes before my interview, told the cashier that I was there for an interview & she directed me to the manager. Manager was very friendly, I shook his hand, introduced myself, & he lead me to the office where my interview was to be held. There, I met another manager, she was very sweet & funny as well.

Interview Questions

• Are there any specific animals that you would have a problem handling?   1 Answer
    • Have you worked with animals in the past?   1 Answer
    • Do you have any pets?   1 Answer
    • What kind of small animals/reptiles/exotic animals have you handled?   1 Answer
    • Would you be willing to work at different positions around the store?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I asked for $9.00 to start, since I had previous work experience & experience handling money since they might've been putting me as a cashier sometimes. The manager told me they typically like to start associates off at $8.25 & then depending on your performance, you get raises after your first three months, then again at six, then a year, and so on. I settled for $8.25 since this was a job I really wanted. I just love working with animals, I would've even settled for minimum wage. I still stand by my decision to settle.