PetSmart

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Pet Care Associate

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at PetSmart in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online for two different stores, each within 5 miles of each other. Within a week, I was called in for an interview with the operations manager. The interview was casual yet professional. Best to go dressed with a nice collard shirt and khakis. The process took about 15 mins. After the interview, I was told I would be scheduled for another interview. The second interview was with the petcare manager, who would turn out to be my manager. She took me around the store, asked me a few questions, and that was about it. She said she would give me a call within a few days. She called 2 days after to introduce me to the head store manager. It was a 5 minute interview at most, and he gave me the strip to get drug tested, and we went from there. In all, it was a very easy interview. Just act confident but don't over inflate your ego.

Interview Question – No difficult questions, some might ask you to sell them a certain pet or item. All depends on the manager.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate. I was just happy to be able to get the job.

Leominster, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at PetSmart in September 2011.

Interview Details – I applied and was interviewed a couple days later. I only had one interview and it was very relaxed. I liked it and I still like the job. Definitely not a support your entire life sort of job, as full-time employees are not often hired (there are two at my store), but it's good for a college job, a second part time job, etc.

Interview Question – They asked me to sell them a bag of greenies. It was easy.   Answer Question

Pet Care Associate

I applied online and interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview Details – insane almost a month worth of interviews and waiting. you had to almost put your life on hold they make false statements, call at night, on holidays and expect you to drop what your doing to interview RIGHT NOW. i actually received a phone call at 6:45 am to schedule a 8 am interview . red flags. but i was blinded by what could be a great job.

Interview Question – they asked the obvious top 10 interview questions   View Answer

Negotiation Details – there wasnt any, although i was told i would be eligable for part time benefits, the day my beni. should of started i received a letter part time employees will no longer be elegable for benis.

Pet Care Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at PetSmart in November 2012.

Interview Details – I filled out applications repeatedly before I finally got a call (my manager said there were 26 applications on file...) The interview was private between me, the hiring manager and the store manager (but I know they'll sometimes choose to do group interviews instead). I wore a nice skirt and blouse. The overall vibe of the interview was professional but laid back. There weren't any difficult questions. The company requires a background check and drug test.

Interview Question – My hiring manager handed me a Sharpie and told me to sell it to her.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Asked for $9/hr, accepted $8.25. I was told that $7.50 is the norm for new associates.

Pet Care Associate

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at PetSmart in January 2014.

Interview Details – The first thing I should have done was to send them my resume, I took it with me the day of the interview and I don't think it was well received. The first interview was a panel interview, with more than one candidate and more than one interviewer. I was told that the first interview would lead to a second. The questions were basic, geared mostly towards your knowledge of animal care. They asked a few questions about my work history and asked about my knowledge of their company.

Interview Question – "What do you know about our company's mission?"   View Answer

Avondale, AZ

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in September 2012.

Interview Details – All applications are done online. 2 interviews. The interview were pretty relaxed, I was comfortable in both interviews. Just be yourself. If you not a pet or people lover this job is not for you.

Interview Question – Sell me this filter.   Answer Question

Warner Robins, GA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at PetSmart in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online on a Friday. Got a call for an interview the following Monday. Interview was set up for the upcoming Thursday. Interviewed with a manager (not sure if operations or general manager) for about 35 minutes. She had a clipboard and told me that she had questions that she was required to ask.The first question I was asked was why I wanted to work at PetSmart. Second question was if I owned any pets, what kind, how long, and if I had experience with animals other than the ones I have owned. All other questions were hypothetical retail-based questions, such as if you are dealing with an angry/difficult customer, how would you handle the situation? if a customer asks you a question you don't know the answer to, how would you handle the situation? if there is a policy that you don't agree with, how would you handle it? how would you explain something technical in an easily understandable way to a customer/associate? Etc Etc. It was a fairly straightforward interview. We talked about the dog that I had adopted from a local shelter that held it's adoption drives in that particular store, how I'm an animal science major and had extensive knowledge of animal behavior, animal anatomy and physiology, and illness prevention techniques. When she was done asking me questions, she brought in the second manager and she asked me to tell her a little about myself, etc. then she brought me out onto the floor where we did a roleplay exercise. She played a customer with a daughter that had a barbie themed room and wanted a fishtank to match. After that was over, they handed me the paperwork for a drug test and told me to go take it. Was worried about it, because one of my medications will give a positive. Told them this, and she thanked me for my candor. At no point, did she or the lab techs write down any medications I was on. Lab tech told me that if it came back positive, a medical review specialist would contact me to get my prescription info and they would verify it. This never happened. Drug test results came back on Tuesday of the next week, and the manager that called me said that everything came back good and wanted to know when I could come in to start my training, and what shirt size I wear.

Interview Question – If there is a policy that I didn't agree with, how would I handle it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – "Negotiation" was "We'll start you off at 7.75, is that ok with you?" Though, it was really more of a statement than negotiation.

Southfield, MI

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at PetSmart in June 2013.

Interview Details – I always wanted to work here and I applied in May to PetSmart. I got my interview in mid-June. I was with 2 people and they asked basic questions, including a "sell me this flea collar" question. Then I was called in for a second interview 2 days later. I was technically hired that day. I went for a drug test that SAME DAY. They told me it would take 48 hours. 1 week later, I hadn't heard from them, so I called PetSmart and they said they hadn't received anything from the drug company. The drug company said to call PetSmart. So I waited. Another week goes by, nothing. 2 weeks turns to 3. 3 weeks to 4. 4 weeks to 5. I called multiple times during these weeks and all I heard was "we haven't received anything yet on the computer." I finally just let the job go, until I received a call at the end of August asking me to come in for orientation! I already had 2 jobs by then so I asked him what on earth happened. He said he would call the store manager and call me back in 10 minutes. It is now almost October and I'm still waiting for that call back.

Interview Question – Sell me this ______________.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I didn't technically decline - I'm STILL waiting for a call-back from the store. But when a company sends you through a nightmare like that why on earth would you choose to work for them? It reflects poorly on the entire store! If they ever do call me back, I am declining the job.

Tampa, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in August 2013.

Interview Details – I walked in for my interview and another interview was going on at the time. I walked around the store for half an hour waiting to be called in for my interview. All of the questions were about past work experience. I had never had a job before so I couldn't properly answer most of the questions. The interviewer was really unprofessional, she asked what my hobbies were and I told her that I do really cheap photo shoots s she started talking about how she paid $500 to get pictures of her son taken and how she wanted to make photography a career. If she is a manager at petsmart shouldn't she be telling me how great the job is there instead of stating why she wanted to get out and have another job?

Interview Question – Explain a time you had to deal with a difficult customer; what is the best customer service you have ever provided   View Answer

Bend, OR

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at PetSmart in May 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online at Petsmart.com, got a call about a week later and was asked if I was interested in taking care of the smaller animals and to come in for an interview. We mostly talked about how to move up, previous experience, things like how often the cages are clean and what hours are like. Make sure you act like you actually want to work for and not just at Petsmart for money and hours. They will also ask about your previous and current jobs and how you liked them. Show that you care and want to interact with the animals and costumers and that you want to help costumers out and make sure you help them get the right pet and that it goes to the right home. Got offered the job web the interview was over, went to go do the drug test ( you have 24 hours ), and going in for training next week.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Was offered job right after interview, went to take a drug test and now I have training next week.

Interviews for Top Jobs at PetSmart

Worked for PetSmart? Contribute to the Community!

PetSmart Videos

PetSmart – Why Work for Us?

Company Information PetSmart, Inc. (NASDAQ: PETM) As the largest specialty pet retailer of services and solutions for the lifetime needs of pets, we employ approximately 52,000 associates and operate 1,278 stores and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PetSmart Pet Care Associate interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by PetSmart employees and interview candidates.