PetSmart

2.1

39 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at PetSmart in October 2014.

Received a call on Friday asking me to come in on Monday for orientation. This is my second time being called in for their orientation. Typically, you're called in with a group of half a dozen or more applicants and you're brought into a little room with a number of chairs. You're handed print-outs of your most recent application and you're walked through the available positions by a couple of managers. Throughout the process you're given an opportunity to ask questions. They explained that multiple interviews are conducted before you can be hired. Applicants looking for short-term positions are weeded out. You must be able to speak English to make it through the hiring process (even in South Florida, where Spanish is the more commonly spoken language). Orientation, at least at this PetSmart location, is the first step of the hiring process. If they are interested in pursuing you further, you'll get a call within an allotted time-frame. If not, you get the picture.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing, really. Orientation is more about going over the available positions and discussing their duties than anything.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for PetSmart

Pet Care Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at PetSmart.

I went in for one interview, they offered me the job, got sent to take a drug test at the WRONG LOCATION. IT WAS SHUT DOWN. PHONE NUMBER DID NOT WORK. Made to be very difficult after getting sent to 4+ different hospital buildings and medical care facilities that would work with us. They offered me a review after 3 months for a possible raise which DID NOT HAPPEN AS EXPECTED.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were very simple and straight-forward. Two of the girls interviewing were just going off of a paper and asking questions and just saying "okay" after I answered.   Answer Question
    I did negotiate. State your reasons why you are asking for more with evidence to support your request (I stepped in for employees when there was a difficult situation, I handled customer complaints in the absence of the department manager, etc)

Pet Care Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at PetSmart.

I was interviewed for a new store so I was interviewed by all of the managers. They all made it a relaxing environment which made it a lot easier. Basic questions like explaining your experience elsewhere and strengths and weaknesses. Pretty common interview for a part-time job like this. Seeing interviews while working there is just one-on-one with a manager. Same basic questions, but pretty short and sweet.

Might be able to negotiate a little, but they have pretty sturdy company standards. They'll start you off above minimum wage and you'll get raises every 3 months for the first year.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sewell, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sewell, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart in April 2014.

Had two interviews. First was basic such as "What is your education?", "What is your experience with animals?" The second interview was much more in-depth. I was asked questions about why I wanted this job or why I stood out from the rest of the applicants.

Interview Questions
    • If a customer came in with a new dog and hadn't owned one before, how would you approach them and help them out?   Answer Question

One interview

I didn't negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, AZ

I applied online – interviewed at PetSmart in January 2014.

It was casual and not intimidating but had a few difficult questions.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to remember a specific time when a customer was difficult and I have had so many over the years I couldn't recall one in peticular.   Answer Question

Pet Care Specialist Interview

Pretty simple interview, although it came a good deal of time after I submitted the application (approximately two months). The majority of time was spent going over my resume, and utilizing that to draw questions. After that there were the 'scripted' questions, and of course the dreaded "What is your greatest weakness?"

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downers Grove, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downers Grove, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at PetSmart in August 2013.

You go in for one interview, then interview again with store manager. Then you go out for a drug test if they plan to hire you.

Interview Questions
    • They asked about which policy I didn't want to be in place.   Answer Question
    There wasn't really a negotiation

Pet Care Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at PetSmart.

Applied online few months early. Called when I applied no interview. Saw a sign by door few months later saying now hiring. So I called up again. This time manager said call in 2 weeks. So I waited, then called once more. That day I called the manager remembered me told me to come in the next day for a interview. That next day had interview. It was with the hiring manager. My interview was later in the day so he was tired but our interview was fun. Made small talk about my self and about him. Before walking away he said to me that he wants me to come in for a 2nd interview with store manager. 3 days later got a call to come in. So had 2nd interview. This time the manager asked more job related quistions. More stressful but stayed confident. He said he'll talk to hiring manager and see if I fit in to the openings they had. Next day got a call saying I got the job. :)

Interview Questions
    • Act as if I'm the customer and I'm looking at the fish. 2 tell me a time you had to be a team player. 3 tell me a time a customer was not happy and how did you fix it. 4 what animals do you not like to be around.   View Answer
    If you have had experience in retail before you get payed more then minimum wage.

Pet Care Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart in July 2013.

I filled out an online application and received a call about 3 weeks later; that was the longest part of the hiring process. When the hiring manager called me she gave me a brief phone interview for both cashier and pet care specialist, during which she asked me basic questions such as my name, my work history ( I had none), and my previous experience with animals. She then asked, "Why Petsmart?" and wanted to know if there were any animals I was unable to work with. The phone interview was very laid back-so much so that by the end of it we were talking about college football teams! The hiring manager asked me to come into the store for a formal interview, so I went in the next day. Again, this interview experience was very laid back. They are just trying to get a feel for you as a person, so that they can make sure you will be a good fit on their team. I was there for about an hour because I spoke with four different managers, including the store manager. The recurring question was ,"Why Petsmart?", so make sure you have an idea of what you're going to say when you go into the interview. At the end of the interview, I was sent for my drug test. I received a call about a week and a half later (the hiring manager was out of town) offering me the job, and I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something about yourself that isn't something I would usually hear in an interview.   View Answer