PetSmart

35 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Pet Care Specialist

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview Details – I went in for one interview, they offered me the job, got sent to take a drug test at the WRONG LOCATION. IT WAS SHUT DOWN. PHONE NUMBER DID NOT WORK. Made to be very difficult after getting sent to 4+ different hospital buildings and medical care facilities that would work with us. They offered me a review after 3 months for a possible raise which DID NOT HAPPEN AS EXPECTED.

Interview Question – The questions were very simple and straight-forward. Two of the girls interviewing were just going off of a paper and asking questions and just saying "okay" after I answered.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did negotiate. State your reasons why you are asking for more with evidence to support your request (I stepped in for employees when there was a difficult situation, I handled customer complaints in the absence of the department manager, etc)

Pet Care Specialist

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview Details – I was interviewed for a new store so I was interviewed by all of the managers. They all made it a relaxing environment which made it a lot easier. Basic questions like explaining your experience elsewhere and strengths and weaknesses. Pretty common interview for a part-time job like this. Seeing interviews while working there is just one-on-one with a manager. Same basic questions, but pretty short and sweet.

Negotiation Details – Might be able to negotiate a little, but they have pretty sturdy company standards. They'll start you off above minimum wage and you'll get raises every 3 months for the first year.

Sewell, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in April 2014.

Interview Details – Had two interviews. First was basic such as "What is your education?", "What is your experience with animals?" The second interview was much more in-depth. I was asked questions about why I wanted this job or why I stood out from the rest of the applicants.

Interview Question – If a customer came in with a new dog and hadn't owned one before, how would you approach them and help them out?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Lancaster, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in May 2010.

Interview Details – Very informal, regular interview. Dress business casual, be polite, you will get the job.

Interview Question – No difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotion

Interviewed at PetSmart

Interview Details – One interview

Interview Question – Nothing beyond normal questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate.

Peoria, AZ

I applied online - interviewed at PetSmart in January 2014.

Interview Details – It was casual and not intimidating but had a few difficult questions.

Interview Question – Asked to remember a specific time when a customer was difficult and I have had so many over the years I couldn't recall one in peticular.   Answer Question

Downers Grove, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at PetSmart in August 2013.

Interview Details – You go in for one interview, then interview again with store manager. Then you go out for a drug test if they plan to hire you.

Interview Question – They asked about which policy I didn't want to be in place.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't really a negotiation

Interviewed at PetSmart

Interview Details – Pretty simple interview, although it came a good deal of time after I submitted the application (approximately two months). The majority of time was spent going over my resume, and utilizing that to draw questions. After that there were the 'scripted' questions, and of course the dreaded "What is your greatest weakness?"

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness?   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in June 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, got called in for first interview by co-manager which went pretty well; asked simple question such as when I could work, if I had any animals, what kind and how many. Called in for second interview by Pet Care Manager, asked me questions such as if I was comfortable with small animals, scorpions, tarantulas, etc. Then a week later called in for final interview by Head Store Manager, negotiated pay rate, hours, and drug testing.

Interview Question – If an animal died while under your care, what would you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I asked for $9 because of all my experience in customer service, cashiering and animals, but was quickly denied and was offered only $8.

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at PetSmart in June 2013.

Interview Details – In order to be considered for this job you must apply online. No in person applications will be accepted nor are they available. Attempts to meet with the hiring manager in person will be ignored. Please DO NOT show up to the interview in jeans and a t-shirt. You will appear unprofessional and management looks down on that. With that being said, I applied online and surprisingly I got a call back. They call you in for an interview, then they ask questions like why you want to work there etc. They also ask a lot of questions about your personal life. Ex. what you plan to do with it. Overall its a pretty easygoing and relaxed interview. If they like you, you will be called for a second interview. The second interview is nearly identical to the first, but this time you meet with the store GM. If he likes you, you will be asked to take a drug test IMMEDIATELY following the interview, and if you pass it, you're hired!

Interview Question – To be honest, all of the questions were really easy.They won't throw you any curve balls. However, realize that all managers are not the same. My interview experience may not necessarily be the same as yours. Be prepared for anything, be yourself, and don't be nervous. Try to be as genuine as you possibly can. They really want to see who you are as a PERSON. Show some personality. Don't be robotic!   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at PetSmart

Worked for PetSmart? Contribute to the Community!

PetSmart Videos

PetSmart – Why Work for Us?

Company Information PetSmart, Inc. (NASDAQ: PETM) As the largest specialty pet retailer of services and solutions for the lifetime needs of pets, we employ approximately 52,000 associates and operate 1,278 stores and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PetSmart Pet Care Specialist interview questions and advice. All 35 interview reviews posted anonymously by PetSmart employees and interview candidates.