Petco Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Petco.

The interview process was farily basic. If you have experience in retail, meeting sales goals and employee training, its a shoe in. Had two interviews then offered the position.

Interview Questions
  • Explain how your work experince, personality and goals align with those of the petco community.   View Answer
It didnt exist. They said we are paying you $13/hr and that was the end of the story.

Other Interview Reviews for Petco

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fairfax, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Petco in April 2013.

I went through a great interview process. Both the GM and the DM were great and we seemed to be a good fit for working together. I was offered the position at what I felt was a low salary so I countered. I waited over 5 weeks for an answer, while being told it was at HR then I was informed that someone was transfering in and that they were going with that team member. The GM, who I called, told me this and that he then looked at other openings in the area to see if there was anything and he said he found none. I went to the career site and there are 5 listing for the postion within a 25 mile radius of my zip code including the store I was originally offered. So be cautious when countering an offer if you would like the job.

Interview Questions
    • Which of 3 things would you do first when you walk in before opening the store.   View Answer

tried to negotiate a better salary and wasn't even told I could only get original offer was just told we changed our mind.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Erie, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Erie, PA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Petco.

I was hired over nine years ago, but the interview process consisted of two phone interviews and one in person interview. The questions were fairly straight forward and pertained to managerial situations as well as retail applications.

Interview Questions
    • I do not remember the questions specifically, however my interviewer, who would be my DM, asked me about what I thought the most important aspect of retail was. i don't believe I gave him what he was looking for but it must have been adequate because I got the job.   Answer Question
    I was offered the "max" they said they could give me, which was slightly lower than I was currently making. I was willing to accept it because of the quality of life improvement. I later found out that others were brought in at a significantly higher rete.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Petco in January 2012.

First they asked about Pets. What sort I had, what I would be willing to deal with, my favorite animals, my least favorite animals, what I had as a kid. They quizzed me on all the different animals in the store. Next they asked me about my prior jobs. What I liked about them, what I didn't like. they wanted to know what sort of managers I had and their styles. They asked me about the last store I'd be WOW'd at. They want to know about what I thought was a great customer service experience. They also wanted to know how I handled stressful situations. With either employees or with customers. Be prepared to give several examples of all the questions above. Then they asked why they should hire me. Don't be fooled by thinking this is an easy question! Also they LOVED that I came prepared with questions about the company. Write a list!

Interview Questions
    • Why should we hire you over anyone else?   View Answer
    Start out high, it helps if you were being paid well in the first place.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Petco in May 2011.

I was working as a team lead for another store. I heard about an assistant manager position that was available and decided to look into it. I called the store manager and she talked with the district manager. She had done several interviews before but decided to give me one, as well. She was looking for someone with a lot more experience in management, she decided to hire someone outside of the company. She had made her decision before interviewing me but the district manager wanted her to interview me so she did. The questions weren't hard, they were situation based and if I had experience dealing with different associates. She wasn't very interested in the fact that I knew a lot of the reports, she wanted to know how much experience I had dealing with people.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer was upset that we no longer carry her food?   View Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Petco in May 2010.

Was referred by current manager to next highest position in another store.

Interview Questions
    No, pay was not negotiable.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Petco in October 2008.

I was interviewed one on one by the GM and then had a phone interview by the DM

Interview Questions

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!