Petco Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

1.4

Customer Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Petco (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The initial application process was lengthy. I was contacted by the phone shortly after to come in for an interview. The interview itself was fairly easy; I was asked about my experience with animals and customer service. After I was hired, the training process was quite lengthy. Many hours were spent in front of a barely working computer watching employee training videos. My on the job training was not as long and involved shadowing other employees for a day or two.

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. They told me what I would start at, and mentioned that there was room for small raises after I was employed for a certain amount of time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Homewood, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Petco (Homewood, IL) in September 2014.

Interview

Initially it started off great. I'm a very frequent customer at Petco and have a huge love for animals. The customers always think I work there and ask me questions and I help them, even the employees recommended that I work there And even had the manager who's in charge of hiring talk to me to get me a job. I waited about a week or so before I got a call saying to come in during one of the open interviews held only one day a week for an hr. When I got there there wasn't anyone there and no one knew what I was talking about so I waited for about 20 minutes before someone led me to the back along with 2 other people to get interviewed. In the interview easy questions were asked and I did great and was told I would be a perfect fit because I was knowledgeable and could work any time. The interview took about 25 minutes for all 3 of us. I waited for a few days and never received a call. I decided to go back up there after weeks had gone by and ask when would I be expecting a call and they told me if I didn't get a call by now then they didn't want me and didn't need a lot of people, only on call people. Based off of the store hours and my schedule I could've easily been hired but they didn't want to work with a college student As I was told. The associate was rude about why I wasn't hired and that it's not that hard to work full time and go to school full time. I was more than qualified to work there and most of the people that work there have flexible hours so I was thrown off on why they didn't tell me beforehand that....it turns out they have no sympathy or flexibility with newbies who are in college but the people who've been there can do whatever they want, which I find unfair. The hours that they wanted could have been easily fulfilled with my schedule but when they tried to change up what they "wanted", working day to night, and making excuses because I said I could work right after school, arriving no later than 11 am- 12p.m until closing at 9 p.m., Monday through Friday and on weekends I realized that Petco wasn't the place for me.

Interview Questions

• Sell this product. What is your experience? Why would you be a good fit? Are you comfortable working with animals? Cleaning up? What is your availability?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Petco (Skokie, IL) in November 2013.

Interview

I was brought into the stock room in the back of the store with one other interviewee. The assistant store manager conducted the interview with the grooming manager, who only sat in on the interview. She asked me some basic questions that had to do with relating previous job experience to this position I was hoping to get. It was very informal. The twist was when she asked us to go out onto the sales floor and grab one item to give a sales pitch to an imaginary customer. She was just looking for enthusiasm and a good description about how to use the product and why I liked it. After the interview was through I was offered a job on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Please go out onto the sales floor and find a product to sell to an imaginary customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation because she claimed that the store did not have the budget to offer anything more than $8.50/hr. I later found out that the store was in fact, operating below maximum as far as employees.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Petco (Chicago, IL) in November 2013.

Interview

I've always wanted to work at a pet store. So one day, I decided to put in an application. Maybe a day later, I got a call back asking to come in for an interview. I was excited. At the interview, it was short and to the point. I would say no more than 5 minutes. I got a call back maybe a few days later asking if I wanted the job; and of course I said YES!

Interview Questions

• No difficult or unexpected questions. I think it really depends on the interviewer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. They gave me the average pay rate.

Dog Trainer Interview

Anonymous Employee in North Riverside, IL

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Petco (North Riverside, IL) in May 2010.

Interview

Durring the interview i was asked about past employment and skills that pertained to the job i was applying for. we did a roleplay where i was asked to handle a disgruntled customer and to sell a dog training class to the manager. it was an easy interview conducted by a nice but business like manager.