Petco General Manager Interview Questions

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Petco (New Orleans, LA) in October 2013.

Interview

Applicant must pass personality type screening to be considered for an interview. Then timing is everything. They interview when they have or anticipate a need. For a manager position, you must interview with current General Manager and if liked, interview again with the district manager.

Interview Questions

• This all depends on the Manager. Some use the standard questions, and others use a more conversational method.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Back and forth, the DM had to "get approval" from HR. It took several days.

Other Interview Reviews for Petco

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Statesboro, GA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Petco (Statesboro, GA).

Interview

Called into a restaurant for the interview. A group interview with 2 store managers and a district manager. The behavior from this group should've been the first sign of a problem. Felt like I was at a frat house. Obvious that the good old boy system was in place from the start. After a good 2 hours of discussion, I left. Most of the discussion was on the problems with the staff in place at the location I would be in, and past manager issues, as well as a member of the staff they were hot to terminate. I got the call to let me know I was being hired.

Interview Questions

• Accountability-what do you do to hold your staff accountable?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I told what I expected, and they met it. Even exceeded it.

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Petco in July 2013.

Interview

Standard interview. Very friendly outgoing people conducting interviews conducted on the phone and at regional office. The process was as follows: Recruiter>Assessment>DM>RVP and it took about 3 weeks. It was conducted over the phone and 1 on 1.

Interview Questions

• Nothing stands out. Very common structured interview questions. Give me an example of a time...   Answer Question

Negotiation

A little wiggle room. Negotiation process was slow. Took a couple weeks.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Petco (Washington, DC) in June 2012.

Interview

The hiring process can be quite lengthy as the company is experiencing issues with a program called "My Staffing Center", which is full of inexperienced operators and mangers with little experience with the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• Questions are not difficult if you have a retail background.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The salary's are very clear based on demographics.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allentown, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Petco (Allentown, PA) in June 2012.

Interview

Interview process consisted of a very thorough and detailed phone interview with a Petco Recruiter. This Recruiter impressed me very much and was informative, painted a clear picture of the position. Next interview was with the District Manager. This was informal and lacked professionalism. When hired I was asked to complete a 2-4 week training program at a store one and a half hours from my home. No travel expenses or hotel accommodations were offered. Training program was poorly executed and is very vague.

Interview Questions

• What are my expectations when faced with an customer service issue in the grooming salon?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was offered less than what I was earning with Petsmart (previous job). I was easily able to negotiate a higher salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Petco (Milwaukee, WI) in January 2010.

Interview

Fill out app online. GM or ASM reviews and calls for interviews. If we like, we extend a job offer contingent on a background check. Then we call with a start date and bring you on board.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Had to get salary approved through regional manager

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Williamsburg, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Petco (Williamsburg, VA) in April 2008.

Interview

I had already been an assistant manager for Petco for 10 months and the DM already liked my work ethic. He asked me a series of questions, obviously why I thought I was best for the job. It was like any other interview for a new company that you hadn't worked for before only tied in with experience from working as an assistant manager.

Interview Questions

• He asked me if the other person going up for the position if I thought she was ready for it.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Never lowball yourself you get stuck at a wage that you know you deserve moreGener

General Manager Interview

Interview

Three Interview Process

Interview Questions

• Having other people rate me, but it turned out ok, my work speaks for itself   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very little negotiation

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Petco.

Interview

Average. Longer than average online questioning.

Negotiation

I asked, they countered, I re-countered, they re-countered, I accepted.