Petco

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Milwaukee, WI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Petco in January 2010.

Interview Details – Fill out app online. GM or ASM reviews and calls for interviews. If we like, we extend a job offer contingent on a background check. Then we call with a start date and bring you on board.

Interview Question – all pretty straight forward   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Had to get salary approved through regional manager

Very Easy Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Petco in June 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring process can be quite lengthy as the company is experiencing issues with a program called "My Staffing Center", which is full of inexperienced operators and mangers with little experience with the hiring process.

Interview Question – Questions are not difficult if you have a retail background.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The salary's are very clear based on demographics.

New Orleans, LA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Petco in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applicant must pass personality type screening to be considered for an interview. Then timing is everything. They interview when they have or anticipate a need. For a manager position, you must interview with current General Manager and if liked, interview again with the district manager.

Interview Question – This all depends on the Manager. Some use the standard questions, and others use a more conversational method.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Back and forth, the DM had to "get approval" from HR. It took several days.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Statesboro, GA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Petco.

Interview Details – Called into a restaurant for the interview. A group interview with 2 store managers and a district manager. The behavior from this group should've been the first sign of a problem. Felt like I was at a frat house. Obvious that the good old boy system was in place from the start. After a good 2 hours of discussion, I left. Most of the discussion was on the problems with the staff in place at the location I would be in, and past manager issues, as well as a member of the staff they were hot to terminate. I got the call to let me know I was being hired.

Interview Question – Accountability-what do you do to hold your staff accountable?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I told what I expected, and they met it. Even exceeded it.

Allentown, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Petco in June 2012.

Interview Details – Interview process consisted of a very thorough and detailed phone interview with a Petco Recruiter. This Recruiter impressed me very much and was informative, painted a clear picture of the position. Next interview was with the District Manager. This was informal and lacked professionalism. When hired I was asked to complete a 2-4 week training program at a store one and a half hours from my home. No travel expenses or hotel accommodations were offered. Training program was poorly executed and is very vague.

Interview Question – What are my expectations when faced with an customer service issue in the grooming salon?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was offered less than what I was earning with Petsmart (previous job). I was easily able to negotiate a higher salary.

Williamsburg, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Petco in April 2008.

Interview Details – I had already been an assistant manager for Petco for 10 months and the DM already liked my work ethic. He asked me a series of questions, obviously why I thought I was best for the job. It was like any other interview for a new company that you hadn't worked for before only tied in with experience from working as an assistant manager.

Interview Question – He asked me if the other person going up for the position if I thought she was ready for it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Never lowball yourself you get stuck at a wage that you know you deserve moreGener

Interviewed at Petco

Interview Details – Three Interview Process

Interview Question – Having other people rate me, but it turned out ok, my work speaks for itself   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very little negotiation

General Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Petco.

Interview Details – Average. Longer than average online questioning.

Negotiation Details – I asked, they countered, I re-countered, they re-countered, I accepted.

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!