Petco General Manager Interview Questions

2.1

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milwaukee, WI
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Petco in January 2010.

Fill out app online. GM or ASM reviews and calls for interviews. If we like, we extend a job offer contingent on a background check. Then we call with a start date and bring you on board.

Interview Questions
Had to get salary approved through regional manager

Other Interview Reviews for Petco

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Petco in June 2012.

The hiring process can be quite lengthy as the company is experiencing issues with a program called "My Staffing Center", which is full of inexperienced operators and mangers with little experience with the hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are not difficult if you have a retail background.   Answer Question
    The salary's are very clear based on demographics.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New Orleans, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Petco in October 2013.

Applicant must pass personality type screening to be considered for an interview. Then timing is everything. They interview when they have or anticipate a need. For a manager position, you must interview with current General Manager and if liked, interview again with the district manager.

Interview Questions
    • This all depends on the Manager. Some use the standard questions, and others use a more conversational method.   Answer Question
    Back and forth, the DM had to "get approval" from HR. It took several days.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Statesboro, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Statesboro, GA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Petco.

Called into a restaurant for the interview. A group interview with 2 store managers and a district manager. The behavior from this group should've been the first sign of a problem. Felt like I was at a frat house. Obvious that the good old boy system was in place from the start. After a good 2 hours of discussion, I left. Most of the discussion was on the problems with the staff in place at the location I would be in, and past manager issues, as well as a member of the staff they were hot to terminate. I got the call to let me know I was being hired.

Interview Questions
    • Accountability-what do you do to hold your staff accountable?   Answer Question
    I told what I expected, and they met it. Even exceeded it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Allentown, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allentown, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Petco in June 2012.

Interview process consisted of a very thorough and detailed phone interview with a Petco Recruiter. This Recruiter impressed me very much and was informative, painted a clear picture of the position. Next interview was with the District Manager. This was informal and lacked professionalism. When hired I was asked to complete a 2-4 week training program at a store one and a half hours from my home. No travel expenses or hotel accommodations were offered. Training program was poorly executed and is very vague.

Interview Questions
    • What are my expectations when faced with an customer service issue in the grooming salon?   View Answer
    I was offered less than what I was earning with Petsmart (previous job). I was easily able to negotiate a higher salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Williamsburg, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Williamsburg, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Petco in April 2008.

I had already been an assistant manager for Petco for 10 months and the DM already liked my work ethic. He asked me a series of questions, obviously why I thought I was best for the job. It was like any other interview for a new company that you hadn't worked for before only tied in with experience from working as an assistant manager.

Interview Questions
    • He asked me if the other person going up for the position if I thought she was ready for it.   View Answer
    Never lowball yourself you get stuck at a wage that you know you deserve moreGener

Three Interview Process

Interview Questions
    • Having other people rate me, but it turned out ok, my work speaks for itself   Answer Question
    Very little negotiation

General Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Petco.

Average. Longer than average online questioning.

I asked, they countered, I re-countered, they re-countered, I accepted.

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!