Petco

Updated Feb 7, 2015
Updated Feb 7, 2015

1.3

Grooming Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Petco.

I just had a phone interview three days ago. I felt that I answered every question effectively but am still waiting for a call back from them. The manager asked me when a good time to schedule an interview with me, which I thought was a positive gesture, but then said he was going to go over my application with his manager before setting a face to face interview up so I'm not sure. Hoping I get the job and will give an update.

Interview Questions
  • Why do you think you'd be good for this position?   Answer Question
  • Do you have experience bathing dogs or clipping their nails?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Petco

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Sacramento, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Petco in April 2014.

Applied online and went to an open group interview on Friday. The next Wednesday I dropped off my resume and the gave me a second interview which I had that Friday with the store and grooming manager. It was a pleasant and easy interview.

Interview Questions
    Non negotiable salary. grooming assistants start at $8.00/per hour or 40% commission

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at Petco in February 2014.

It was a group interview. Not many questions were asked. However, because the store was so unorganized I had to actually keep calling to reschedule my second interview because the manager wasn't showing up to work. Come to find out, he was fired. Anyway, they kind of just had to give me my job because I was already given an offer, by the previous manager who had been fired. If I didn't call they would have given my position to someone else. Crazy.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. The groomer's apprentice was supposed to make commission, or minimum wage- whatever was more at the end of the pay week. Since you have the "potential" to make a lot of commission, they will not offer more than minimum wage. Because we were a new location we didn't have many clients and commission was hard to come by.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ahwatukee, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ahwatukee, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Petco in November 2013.

The hiring manager contacted me about a week after I had submitted my application and we set up an interview. He was very nice, informative and was able to answer most of my questions.

Interview Questions
    • PetCo offers salon schooling through them, and he asked if that would be something I was interested in.   View Answer
    I took it right away, and they hired me on the following week.

Grooming Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Petco in September 2013.

I filled out an application about a month, month and a half before being contacted. I had completely forgotten I had applied as a grooming assistant/bather. I got a call to ask if I was still and was set up with an interview for the next day. I went. I was asked to "tell me a little bit about yourself" which is always a hard one to answer. I babbled off a bit and awkwardly left it hanging. I was asked if I had any experience, either as a bather or groomer. I hadn't, save washing my own dog a decade ago. I was extremely enthusiastic about the possibility of being paid to wash dogs/be around animals for a job, and apparently that showed, and about a minute and a half into the interview it was confirmed I would be hired, we talked about how commission worked (either hourly pay or 40% commission, whichever was higher), and opportunities for advancement which would be being sent to grooming school if things went well, etc., which Petco would pay for. I was given contact info, signed to give permission to have my background check be sent off, and was given a start date a few days later.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Little Rock, AR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Little Rock, AR

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Petco in August 2013.

I got a call back from Petco about a week after I applied for the Dog Trainer position. When I got in the Grooming Salon Manager asked me some questions then the manager called me afterwards and wanted to interview me himself. I ended up in the grooming salon.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult, the interviews are a breeze for the most part. I did get asked if I minded getting dirty.   View Answer
    • Are you scared of any type dogs, or have you ever been bitten?   View Answer
    They called and offered me the job over the phone. I said I'd take it and that was that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watauga, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watauga, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Petco.

I got a call from the grooming manager and she asked me to come in for an interview. I wore dress slacks And a nice shirt. We went into a nasty small office that was filthy and stunk. I sat in a broken rolling chair while we interviewed. Asked very basic questions, no questions that required a lot of talking.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here?
      Are you afraid of any animals especially dogs?

View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clarence, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clarence, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Petco in September 2012.

The store I worked at hired me right away from my resume. I only went in to meet them when they were explaining pay rate, and hours.

Grooming Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Petco in June 2012.

All you basically need is a love for pets. It doesn't take a genius to bathe a dog.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corvallis, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corvallis, OR

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Petco in January 2012.

I was asked about my experience (which was limited and I had said so), about the situations that I had handled (both good and bad), and what my skills were strongest in. I was called about coming in for an interview, and that was pretty much that.

Interview Questions
    • What experience do you have bathing dogs?   View Answer
    I asked for a minimum of 35 to 40 hours, and was told that was possible. There was no negotiation for that. In terms of PETCO? Get it in writing. Never accept it otherwise, if you're going to be a grooming assistant.