Petco Grooming Assistant Interview Questions

1.3

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  West Sacramento, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Sacramento, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Petco in April 2014.

Applied online and went to an open group interview on Friday. The next Wednesday I dropped off my resume and the gave me a second interview which I had that Friday with the store and grooming manager. It was a pleasant and easy interview.

Interview Questions
Non negotiable salary. grooming assistants start at $8.00/per hour or 40% commission

Other Interview Reviews for Petco

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ahwatukee, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ahwatukee, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Petco in November 2013.

The hiring manager contacted me about a week after I had submitted my application and we set up an interview. He was very nice, informative and was able to answer most of my questions.

Interview Questions
    • PetCo offers salon schooling through them, and he asked if that would be something I was interested in.   View Answer
    I took it right away, and they hired me on the following week.

Grooming Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Petco in September 2013.

I filled out an application about a month, month and a half before being contacted. I had completely forgotten I had applied as a grooming assistant/bather. I got a call to ask if I was still and was set up with an interview for the next day. I went. I was asked to "tell me a little bit about yourself" which is always a hard one to answer. I babbled off a bit and awkwardly left it hanging. I was asked if I had any experience, either as a bather or groomer. I hadn't, save washing my own dog a decade ago. I was extremely enthusiastic about the possibility of being paid to wash dogs/be around animals for a job, and apparently that showed, and about a minute and a half into the interview it was confirmed I would be hired, we talked about how commission worked (either hourly pay or 40% commission, whichever was higher), and opportunities for advancement which would be being sent to grooming school if things went well, etc., which Petco would pay for. I was given contact info, signed to give permission to have my background check be sent off, and was given a start date a few days later.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  North Little Rock, AR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Little Rock, AR

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Petco in August 2013.

I got a call back from Petco about a week after I applied for the Dog Trainer position. When I got in the Grooming Salon Manager asked me some questions then the manager called me afterwards and wanted to interview me himself. I ended up in the grooming salon.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult, the interviews are a breeze for the most part. I did get asked if I minded getting dirty.   View Answer
    • Are you scared of any type dogs, or have you ever been bitten?   View Answer
    They called and offered me the job over the phone. I said I'd take it and that was that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Watauga, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watauga, TX

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Petco.

I got a call from the grooming manager and she asked me to come in for an interview. I wore dress slacks And a nice shirt. We went into a nasty small office that was filthy and stunk. I sat in a broken rolling chair while we interviewed. Asked very basic questions, no questions that required a lot of talking.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here?
      Are you afraid of any animals especially dogs?
        View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Clarence, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clarence, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Petco in September 2012.

The store I worked at hired me right away from my resume. I only went in to meet them when they were explaining pay rate, and hours.

Grooming Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Petco in June 2012.

All you basically need is a love for pets. It doesn't take a genius to bathe a dog.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Corvallis, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corvallis, OR

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Petco in January 2012.

I was asked about my experience (which was limited and I had said so), about the situations that I had handled (both good and bad), and what my skills were strongest in. I was called about coming in for an interview, and that was pretty much that.

Interview Questions
    • What experience do you have bathing dogs?   View Answer
    I asked for a minimum of 35 to 40 hours, and was told that was possible. There was no negotiation for that. In terms of PETCO? Get it in writing. Never accept it otherwise, if you're going to be a grooming assistant.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Delafield, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delafield, WI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Petco in August 2011.

Manager asked if I had any questions about the job and the company. Was a very laid back interview.

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Spokane, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Petco in May 2010.

I didn't have much of an interview. I got asked "Do you like sticking fingers in dogs butts?" and once I replied mentioning that its part of expressing glands in the bath when your grooming a dog, he continued on with the hiring process. It was a quick interview.

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!