Petco Interview Questions

Updated Oct 13, 2014
Updated Oct 13, 2014

2.2

Groomer's Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Petco.

Applied for several positions online at different locations. It wasn't until an employee referral got me an interview. Some store managers were impossible to get a hold of. The whole process from submitting my application to the interview to being hired was about 20 days.

Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Petco.

Room I was interviewed in was really hot. But the guy was nice. Little eye contact but friendly. Lots of questions but little interest in the answer. Office I was in was not only hot but so dirty. The hair and dust on the fan was gross.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Petco.

The manager interviewed two of us at the same time. She basically explained to us how she runs the store and what she expects from us. She asked us a few questions but they were just about how we should treat "partners".

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want this job. Was the only real interview question.   Answer Question

Inventory and Pricing Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Avon, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Avon, OH

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Petco in September 2014.

The SM from Avon is very nice and professional. He called me about six months after applying, asking me if I was still interested in the position. As long as it would get me out of my current position I was stoked. Granted it was a long time since I applied maybe the position has high turnover. He was a refreshing interviewer. Very personal and genuine. We both have the same vision and beliefs so the interview went smoothly. He called me an hour after my interview asking me to apply on the website and take the assessment. I did take it and a week later he asked me to come back for a 2nd interview with the DM. In that interview with the DM he was a little hard to understand; with a few questions that are listed below in regards to those unexpected questions. The process is still pending as I just did my 2nd interview last wednesday.

Interview Questions
    • What percentage of people steal? What percentage of people use illegal drugs?   View Answer

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Petco in September 2014.

It was lengthy. Took a month to get hired. I was one of 60+ applicants and started off with a group interview. There were supposed to be four of us there but one guy did not show up. We filled out a sheet and then the manager asked us to summarize what we had written down for each question one at a time. Second interview was just like the first only individual, same questions just the other managers were also there.

Interview Questions
    • Obviously they "Why should I hire you" question.   View Answer
    My hours! They were really great about working around my hours. Must have at least one weekend day to work though.

Sales Associate Interview

The process was easy and quick with a phone interview and a one on one interview to see how you perform. The interview was just like any typical retail job except involving animals in the store

Another opportunity

Dog Training Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Petco in August 2014.

I called to see if they were hiring at my local store. The GM was extremely nice and friendly and answered all of my questions and encouraged me to apply online. The online application process was long and tedious, but well worth it. They generally have a group interview process, but I had sort of an informal group interview while I was waiting for my application to go through. I got to know the staff, learned what their expectations of me were, got a feel for the work environment and my co-workers, what I would get out of the position, and we were all able to get a feel for whether or not it would be a good fit. When my application went through, I was called in for the official interview. Since I had already covered almost everything a few days before, the actual interview was more of a formality and I had to answer a few additional required questions; how did you handle such and such situation, what is your approach to customer service, give an example of how you've dealt with a difficult customer or employee, give an example of when you've gone above and beyond with a customer and their response, etc...

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Just be prepared for some of the examples I gave above.   Answer Question
    I'm used to working in a small business environment, in which I have a lot of valuable experience, where there is much more room for negotiation. For an entry-level retail position in a large corporation there is not much room for negotiation. If you were looking for a management position, I am sure there would be more room for negotiation, but large corporations tend to have established salary ranges.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Petco in August 2014.

I applied on Aug 27 and got a call on September 2nd for an interview on the 3rd. Interview started at 2pm and ended around 2:45. The GM was the one who called but 2 assistant managers were the ones who interviewed me. At around 4pm the same day I got a call with a verbal offer and a written offer in my email a couple of hours later. First day of work was the 10th.

Interview Questions
    • All really easy. Just asked about myself. They asked if I would be ok handling spiders and I said definitely not.   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate but I needed the job

Pet Stylist Interview

One group interview with store managers, grooming manager and coworker, and a store manager from another location. Typical questions on knowledge of animal care and customer service. They require that you groom a dog in the interview process. I also met with the manager previous to the interview and dropped off my resume in person. Be sure to bring a portfolio of your previous grooms. It helps for them to have a reference of your ability.

Interview Questions
    • What dog breed are you most uncomfortable working with and why?   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate much. My advice would be to negotiate for a higher hourly in case business is slow.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I filled out a job application online and was called by a store manager two weeks later. The interviewer was kind. He read off of a list of seven questions and altered them to make them specifically geared towards my resume. The interview was going great until he heard I would have to leave for school in four months.

Interview Questions
    • What did you dislike about a person that had power over you in the past?   Answer Question