Petco Interview Questions

Updated Jul 31, 2015

2.1

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Petco.

Interview

Normally, they do group interviews. I applied for a new store and was called in for an individual interview, one of the last to be interviewed. I spoke directly with the general manager of the new store opening and it seemed like a normal interview. But I felt as if I could talk to her as if we were close friends. The atmosphere was great. All of the employees were super nice. And everyone seemed to enjoy their time while working there.

Interview Questions

• My favorite question was: Do you have any pets and what do you like about having them?   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Petco (West Des Moines, IA).

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter, face to face with DM, then telephone interview with VPRO. Covered skill set, past experience, what would you do? type of questions. Laid out opportunities at the store and what plans I had for the future.

Interview Questions

• Basic "tell me about a time" questions. Do you have pets?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Petco.

Interview

Group interview. You get a call if they pick you for a second interview. The manager didn't like that one of the other candidates would be attending school and was kind of rude about it. I'm thumbing down because I feel that group interviews (walking around the store) doesn't give you a chance to sell yourself.

Pet Stylist Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Petco (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I applied online, got a call, and arranged an interview time. At my first interview, there were several applicants and the assistance store manager had us each answer various questions. At my second interview I talked one on one with the store manager. She recommended me to a location closer to home and I talked to that manager, who officially hired me.

Interview Questions

• Do you have customer service experience?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Be clear about what you expect from the company. They will drain you as much as you allow. Tell them firmly what days and hours you are available.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Hill, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Petco (Cedar Hill, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied and it actually took about a month, I had given up but the call was unexpected. I got called in for an interview and went in the next day. The managers were very nice. They asked if I had any pets and pet experience. What my work experience was and what my day looked like in my former job. They asked what I did when a customer was being difficult. All the basic questions.

Interview Questions

• What was your day like at your former job?   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Amarillo, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Petco (Amarillo, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

Quick interview maybe 30 minutes. It was very busy the day of so I was interviewed in the break room which was somewhat distracting when people kept coming in to eat. I don't believe that this is the norm though. Mostly they just wanted to know if I had any restrictions on when I could work, which i did not. Also they want to make sure that you are comfortable around animals and reptiles etc. Overall it was quick and simple.

Interview Questions

• If you had three super powers to pick, what would they be and why would you choose them?   Answer Question

EARLY MORNING STOCKER Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flanders, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Petco (Flanders, NJ) in July 2015.

Interview

Casual, quick, simple. One interview, got a call that day to come in tomorrow for a second interview. Offered a job on the contingent on passing a frog test. The managers were nice, the whole process was pretty simple and standard.

Interview Questions

• What do you think about teamwork?   1 Answer

Companion Animal Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sewell, NJ

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Petco (Sewell, NJ) in July 2015.

Interview

It was a series of two interviews. One with the General Manager, the other with the District Manager. Both were professional and pleasant to speak with. Each interview lasted approximately one half hour, and by the time I had fished with the second interview I was given the impression I should expect to receive an offer of employment in the near future.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Petco.

Interview

I applied online and got called for an interview about a week later. The interview process was very easy and pretty brief. The hiring manager was very friendly and asked basic questions. I was offered the job at the end of the interview

Interview Questions

• What background experience do you have working with animals?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Petco (San Diego, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Went in half an hour early. Walked around the store to get a feel for the vibe of the employees. When it was time for my interview, they told me that there office was in use and to wait another 10 minutes, so I continued to walk around. I was under the impression that the man who called me would be interviewing me, but I then found out that it was him and a woman. The man who called me to come in for the interview was just jotting down notes on the side while the woman asked me questions. A lot of the questions she asked me were very inappropriate and constantly reminded me that this was a retail job and not directly working with animals (duh, I could have told her that myself). She only asked me about three questions about the job and the rest were personal questions. She constantly cut me off to put in her two cents. She was cut and dry, only smiled once and that was when I walked out the door. I was offended and this is overall the worst experience I've had when it came to an interview. Towards the end of the interview she asked me what my other interests were and I told her. She said I should look in to working in jobs that fall into that interest, and then directed me out of the office. Overall the experience was uncomfortable and I know I have a sliver of a chance hearing back but even if I did, I wouldn't accept the offer.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any fears of snakes? rats? crickets? scorpions? tarantulas? Explain a time you had good customer service. Explain a time you had bad customer experience.   Answer Question