Petco Interview Questions

Updated Jul 3, 2015

2.1

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Petco.

Interview

Group interview. You get a call if they pick you for a second interview. The manager didn't like that one of the other candidates would be attending school and was kind of rude about it. I'm thumbing down because I feel that group interviews (walking around the store) doesn't give you a chance to sell yourself.

Pet Stylist Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Petco (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I applied online, got a call, and arranged an interview time. At my first interview, there were several applicants and the assistance store manager had us each answer various questions. At my second interview I talked one on one with the store manager. She recommended me to a location closer to home and I talked to that manager, who officially hired me.

Interview Questions

• Do you have customer service experience?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Be clear about what you expect from the company. They will drain you as much as you allow. Tell them firmly what days and hours you are available.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Petco (San Diego, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Went in half an hour early. Walked around the store to get a feel for the vibe of the employees. When it was time for my interview, they told me that there office was in use and to wait another 10 minutes, so I continued to walk around. I was under the impression that the man who called me would be interviewing me, but I then found out that it was him and a woman. The man who called me to come in for the interview was just jotting down notes on the side while the woman asked me questions. A lot of the questions she asked me were very inappropriate and constantly reminded me that this was a retail job and not directly working with animals (duh, I could have told her that myself). She only asked me about three questions about the job and the rest were personal questions. She constantly cut me off to put in her two cents. She was cut and dry, only smiled once and that was when I walked out the door. I was offended and this is overall the worst experience I've had when it came to an interview. Towards the end of the interview she asked me what my other interests were and I told her. She said I should look in to working in jobs that fall into that interest, and then directed me out of the office. Overall the experience was uncomfortable and I know I have a sliver of a chance hearing back but even if I did, I wouldn't accept the offer.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any fears of snakes? rats? crickets? scorpions? tarantulas?
      Explain a time you had good customer service.
      Explain a time you had bad customer experience.

Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Petco.

Interview

I applied online and got called for an interview about a week later. The interview process was very easy and pretty brief. The hiring manager was very friendly and asked basic questions. I was offered the job at the end of the interview

Interview Questions

• What background experience do you have working with animals?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Petco.

Interview

Super casual and all personal questions. I was quite surprised actually. They called me to come in for an interview after about a week of waiting. I was hired on the spot. The only thing they wanted was a background check which was fine with me. 2 people were interviewing me and they were both really nice.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Petco? Are you comfortable handling animals? Do you get stressed out or upset easily?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Petco.

Interview

I submitted my application online about a three weeks before I received a call for an interview. I was surprised, and it seems like Petco generally operates on the fly like this and will hold applications for up to a month. I went in for a group interview that same day I was called. It was held in the dog training classes box and both the AM and the GM interviewed about seven of us. They were honest, open, and up front about who generally works out in the job we all applied for and who doesn't. They seem really flexible with your level of comfort with certain animals (or lack thereof) and being afraid of spiders doesn't disqualify you. They called me four hours later and offered me a position.

Interview Questions

• Animal fears? As a customer, when was a time you remember being treated really well by an employee of a store ? How would you deal with an impossible-to-please customer?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Petco (New York, NY).

Interview

Easy, less than an hour. The person interviewing me made me feel comfortable and not nervous. Applied to the job online and about an hour and half later they called to set up an interview, I set it for the next day. And 3-4 days later after the interview, I received a call saying I got the job.

Store Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corvallis, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Petco (Corvallis, OR).

Interview

The interview was casual and the questions were typical. I applied to work part time while I attended university.

The manager was friendly and nice and the interview only took about 30 minutes. She mentioned she thought I was overqualified for the position but I was honest and let her know that I just needed a part time job to help pay the bills while going to Uni. The questions were typical interview questions.

The next day I received an email that they wanted to hire me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Petco (Torrance, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very easy-going. The manager did the interview kinda weird because we talked as we walked around the store. It was very chill, he said I passed the first interview and that I would have to go to a second interview with the general manager who was only there on Wednesdays.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Petco in May 2015.

Interview

I came in and met the assistant/hiring manager. She asked me basic interview questions and then invited me to a job fair the next day. When I showed up for the job fair there was maybe 5-7 other applicants. We had a walkthrough of the store, where we were introduced to employees from the different departments, and briefed on what working for Petco entails. At the end I, and the other aplicants she had interviewed the previous day, were offered a job. (The rest were told to apply online)

Interview Questions

• Previous work history? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Why should I choose you over the other people I'll interview? Are there any animals you're afraid of? What pets do you have?   Answer Question