Petco

Updated Jan 15, 2015
Updated Jan 15, 2015

2.2

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Petco.

Applied in December of 2014 and heard back within 3 days of applying. Manager called and held a 20 minute phone interview which went rather excellent. He then set up an interview for the following week. He did NOT mention it was group interview and he also failed to mention that he was not going to be present that day at all. Needless to say i got lost on the way to the store, ended up speaking to a different manager who then said it was group interview. I did not even bother to go into the stockroom where it was held I exited the store quickly and went back home. EXTREMELY unprofessional. Received a call in the beginning of January 2015 to schedule a 2nd interview. HOW ??? When there wasn't even a first one. The same manager called back stating to bring a copy of my resume because he did not want to look for my application. He then states that it is a 1 on 1 session. I did not even bother to show up as i accepted a job within a company elsewhere.

Interview Questions

There never was an interview to make an attempt to get to know me and the manager was extremely unprofessional. I do not participate in group interviews at all.

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Petco.

First Step is a Phone interview, The second step is a group interview with about 5-7 other applicants. Third Step is a panel interview with a Store Manager and two Assistant Managers.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, entry salary non-negociable

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Petco.

Just basic interview. The job was explained to me and what I would be doing. Ask about previous experience. What hours you were available. Why I applied for the position since I had not worked retail before.

Interview Questions
    There was a set salary with a raise after probation period. Then early raise.

Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Petco.

I was just called in and hired on the spot. No hard questions or slow turn arounds. The process was simple and within two days I was working. It was a fun interview and nothing unexpected.

No negotiations

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Petco.

I applied online to a store that was 10 minutes from me. I called a couple days later to see if they reviewed my application, but the hiring manager told me she wouldn't be hiring till mid January, and I wanted a job now instead of when I start school again. So she forwarded my application to another store that's a bit far, but it's not too bad of a distance. That general manager called me within the next week and called me in for an interview. He basically was the one that was mostly talking. He asked me the obvious interview questions like "Why do you want to work at Petco? Why should we hire you? Do you like animals and if so what kind do you have? etc" Then I asked how many hours I'd be working and how much is pay and stuff like that. I mean it was chill and laid back, it wasn't hard or nerve wracking at all. And he said he will run a background check on me and then he will call me to start working. So he hired me right there on the spot.

I asked for 9$ or more an hour, and he asked what was my last jobs pay and I said it was 8.60, but he said he'll try to get it to 9$.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Petco.

Asked about my retail experience, if I had any pets at home, and if i was afraid of anything. Explained to me what the job entailed and what I would be expected to do and then offered me the position. A few months later I was promoted to a department manager position which had no interview process. It was more along the lines of do you want it here it is.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't really a question that was that difficult.   Answer Question
    There wasn't one.

Companion Animal Department Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Petco in January 2015.

Applied online, it took 1 1/2 weeks to get a call back. On the careers site it said I was no longer being considered, but still got the interview. I've worked for Petco twice before, so that was only to my benefit

No offer yet but it was a very positive interview

I applied online – interviewed at Petco.

Store was too busy and didn't have much time to interview. seemed to be by the seat of there pants. interview was done on sales floor and was unprofessional feeling.

Interview Questions
    described the highest wage at which a new hire could receive

Dog Trainer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Petco.

The interview was with the store manager and the dog trainer. It was about 30 minutes and didn't have the standard interview questions and instead asked things directly related to the job and my previous work experience, like what I did and why I left.

Interview Questions
    • What experience do you have with dog training.   View Answer
    No negations

Customer Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Petco.

The initial application process was lengthy. I was contacted by the phone shortly after to come in for an interview. The interview itself was fairly easy; I was asked about my experience with animals and customer service. After I was hired, the training process was quite lengthy. Many hours were spent in front of a barely working computer watching employee training videos. My on the job training was not as long and involved shadowing other employees for a day or two.

There was no negotiation. They told me what I would start at, and mentioned that there was room for small raises after I was employed for a certain amount of time.