Petco Interview Questions

2.2

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Petco in September 2014.

It was lengthy. Took a month to get hired. I was one of 60+ applicants and started off with a group interview. There were supposed to be four of us there but one guy did not show up. We filled out a sheet and then the manager asked us to summarize what we had written down for each question one at a time. Second interview was just like the first only individual, same questions just the other managers were also there.

Interview Questions
    • Obviously they "Why should I hire you" question.   View Answer
    My hours! They were really great about working around my hours. Must have at least one weekend day to work though.

Sales Associate Interview

The process was easy and quick with a phone interview and a one on one interview to see how you perform. The interview was just like any typical retail job except involving animals in the store

Another opportunity

Dog Training Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Petco in August 2014.

I called to see if they were hiring at my local store. The GM was extremely nice and friendly and answered all of my questions and encouraged me to apply online. The online application process was long and tedious, but well worth it. They generally have a group interview process, but I had sort of an informal group interview while I was waiting for my application to go through. I got to know the staff, learned what their expectations of me were, got a feel for the work environment and my co-workers, what I would get out of the position, and we were all able to get a feel for whether or not it would be a good fit. When my application went through, I was called in for the official interview. Since I had already covered almost everything a few days before, the actual interview was more of a formality and I had to answer a few additional required questions; how did you handle such and such situation, what is your approach to customer service, give an example of how you've dealt with a difficult customer or employee, give an example of when you've gone above and beyond with a customer and their response, etc...

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Just be prepared for some of the examples I gave above.   Answer Question
    I'm used to working in a small business environment, in which I have a lot of valuable experience, where there is much more room for negotiation. For an entry-level retail position in a large corporation there is not much room for negotiation. If you were looking for a management position, I am sure there would be more room for negotiation, but large corporations tend to have established salary ranges.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Petco in August 2014.

I had 2 interviews and didn't get the job however the process was very long. I applied back in like January and I finally got a call in August and they were actually surprised at how over dressed I was for such a job.

Interview Questions
    • What products does the company carry, and why don't they carry certain brands?   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Petco in August 2014.

I applied on Aug 27 and got a call on September 2nd for an interview on the 3rd. Interview started at 2pm and ended around 2:45. The GM was the one who called but 2 assistant managers were the ones who interviewed me. At around 4pm the same day I got a call with a verbal offer and a written offer in my email a couple of hours later. First day of work was the 10th.

Interview Questions
    • All really easy. Just asked about myself. They asked if I would be ok handling spiders and I said definitely not.   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate but I needed the job

Pet Stylist Interview

One group interview with store managers, grooming manager and coworker, and a store manager from another location. Typical questions on knowledge of animal care and customer service. They require that you groom a dog in the interview process. I also met with the manager previous to the interview and dropped off my resume in person. Be sure to bring a portfolio of your previous grooms. It helps for them to have a reference of your ability.

Interview Questions
    • What dog breed are you most uncomfortable working with and why?   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate much. My advice would be to negotiate for a higher hourly in case business is slow.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I filled out a job application online and was called by a store manager two weeks later. The interviewer was kind. He read off of a list of seven questions and altered them to make them specifically geared towards my resume. The interview was going great until he heard I would have to leave for school in four months.

Interview Questions
    • What did you dislike about a person that had power over you in the past?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Petco.

you walk in, sit in back room, talk about nothing, you get hired because they're desperate for employees... boom that's it you have now earned a job that you will hate and eventually quit. congrats.

but seriously they accept walk ins. they are only really looking for cashiers though so be prepared to be asked to apply for that instead of what you originally wanted.

there was none

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Petco in July 2014.

Group interview. Open interviews are held every Wednesday. Fill out online application first. Be prepared for IQ/Graduate school entrance exam questions on the timed test. Making change is an expected question, but number sequences and proportionals were overdoing it for a part-time minimum wage position. For a place that is likely to discriminate against a degree holder for being over qualified, this seemed a bit of over-kill.
    Interview fairly easy. More relaxed and friendly than most group interviews have been. Appropriate "sell us an item" of your choice opportunity. At times called out and mocked gently for being over-professional.

Interview Questions
    • Mocked me for not being rude. They want to hear: why do you want to work here? I like animals and I need money.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Petco.

I applied online and didn't hear anything, so I called and they said to come in at a specific time any week for a group interview. I did exactly that. They said we could expect to hear back from them in a week - called them after a week, and they weren't ready. Called them after 2 weeks and they said they still haven't gotten back to anyone (despite mentioning how desperately they need workers) and they would get back to me. They never got back to me again.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult. Simple questions, like do you have pets/allergies/previous experience with animals or retail, and availability.   Answer Question