Petco

Updated Jan 15, 2015
Updated Jan 15, 2015

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Petco.

you walk in, sit in back room, talk about nothing, you get hired because they're desperate for employees... boom that's it you have now earned a job that you will hate and eventually quit. congrats.

but seriously they accept walk ins. they are only really looking for cashiers though so be prepared to be asked to apply for that instead of what you originally wanted.

there was none

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Petco in July 2014.

Group interview. Open interviews are held every Wednesday. Fill out online application first. Be prepared for IQ/Graduate school entrance exam questions on the timed test. Making change is an expected question, but number sequences and proportionals were overdoing it for a part-time minimum wage position. For a place that is likely to discriminate against a degree holder for being over qualified, this seemed a bit of over-kill.
    Interview fairly easy. More relaxed and friendly than most group interviews have been. Appropriate "sell us an item" of your choice opportunity. At times called out and mocked gently for being over-professional.

Interview Questions
    • Mocked me for not being rude. They want to hear: why do you want to work here? I like animals and I need money.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Petco.

I applied online and didn't hear anything, so I called and they said to come in at a specific time any week for a group interview. I did exactly that. They said we could expect to hear back from them in a week - called them after a week, and they weren't ready. Called them after 2 weeks and they said they still haven't gotten back to anyone (despite mentioning how desperately they need workers) and they would get back to me. They never got back to me again.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult. Simple questions, like do you have pets/allergies/previous experience with animals or retail, and availability.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Mesa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Mesa, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Petco in June 2014.

I saw a sign outside and went in to ask for an application. The lady told me to apply online and come back in a few days for open interviews, so I did. There was only one other person there, so the manager saw us individually. It was laid back and simple, nothing out of the ordinary. Don't rave about how much you love birds or fish, just answer the questions and relax.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle uncomfortable situations?   View Answer
    None

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Petco in June 2014.

I applied online and called the store they told me to come in for the open interview and basically the interview was like a roleplay exercise first you had to tell them about yourself etc then you had to get a pet product and sell it to them after that the manager said she would call me back in about a week got the job cause they needed store associates.

didn't negotiate

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Petco.

I was promoted from within so the interview process was pretty quick and easy because I was already known. I did make sure to come prepared with all of my inventory numbers (I was inventory manager at the time). And I had thought ahead about my areas of opportunity. This was also for a new position all together (but considered to be at the assistant manager level) so the interview was over the phone and no one in upper management really seemed to know what to ask or what was to be expected.

Interview Questions
    • Since they didn't really know what to expect with the new endeavor, the interview consisted with questions of my management experience and how the weather was in my area versus theirs.   Answer Question
    Fortunately, as I previously mentioned, I was promoted from within so I had friends with pull that got me halfway from what I deserved and what I was offered. If it hadn't been for them, there would have been no negotiations and I would have been low-balled.

Store Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Williamsville, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Williamsville, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Petco in June 2014.

When I came to the interview an extra 10 minutes before my interview time, the assistant manager informed me that they were waiting for more people to sho up to do a "group interview". There were 5 other people there waiting for the interview and then the store manager and assistant manager walked us to the back stockroom to ask us questions, we had to "fight" to respond to their questions to see whose answer they would most like. Also management said we did not have to answer questions if we did not want to. It was a very uncomfortable experience and I dont think that management took it seriously.

Interview Questions
    • Competing between the other interviewers to answer questions from the managers before they went to the next question,   Answer Question

Dog Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clovis, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clovis, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Petco in June 2014.

I applied online and went in the next day to turn in my resume. I was told there was open interviews the following week and to attend. I got a call from one of the store managers two days later saying she wanted me for their dog trainer position. She was impressed by all my past experiences with animals and explained that they would train me as a Petco dog trainer. I went in the following week for the open interview which was also a group interview. The man doing the interview asked everyone only one question (everyone got a different question) which didn't seem fair considering none were alike. I later found out that the manager that had called me earlier had also told 4 other people she wanted them as their new dog trainer which was extremely disappointing. After the interview I called back multiple times within the following weeks and each time they said they were still deciding. I never heard back. Overall it was discouraging and I would not recommend it.

Interview Questions
    • What are signs that a dog needs training?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Petco in June 2014.

I applied online through their career services and was called for a phone interview about a month later. I was asked basic questions like, why did I want the job, what is my experience, education, when could I work etc. Phone interview went well and a week later I was called for an in-person interview. The in-person interview went well also. I was asked how I would handle a situation where there was dog pee on the floor, a customer waiting in line, and a phone call.

Interview Questions
    • This may be a weird question to have a problem with but I was asked, "Tell me about a time when you received excellent customer service". I had to think about it for a good few seconds.   Answer Question
    They told me their average pay was $8.15, and they were flexible with hours which is ideal for a student like myself.

Vendor Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Petco in June 2014.

Applied online, Interviewed with Recruiter on the phone, Interviewed with two analysts on the phone, interviewed for 2.5 hours with 6-7 people in person panel interview. Had to complete a personality test, and a reference "checkster" that all of your references have to complete with in 48 hours and submit to the company online.