Petco Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

2.1

Companion Animal Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Petco (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Received a phone call to set up interview. Had an first interview. It was very casual and only asked a couple questions. Asked why I wanted to work for the company/ what I liked about working with pets.

Stocker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Avon by Sea, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Petco (Avon by Sea, NJ) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very short almost all the questions were directed in a way to say Petco looked bad don't work here. They even questioned why I would be applieing somewhere seeing as I have a bachelors degree in computer science they would not except I wanted a fun part time job for the weekends to pay off student debt.

Interview Questions

• Why would you want to work at Petco if you have a bachelors degree already   1 Answer

Merchandise Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Petco (San Diego, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received an email of interest within a week. I spoke with the recruiter, she was really nice and pleasant to speak with. Although the interview process was good, I loose a lot of respect for a company that leaves applicants hanging after an interview. It shows that they either dont really care, lack of leadership or are seriously under staff. One tip for Petco: Send a rejection email to applicants that are not moving forward, it only takes two seconds.

Interview Questions

• The questions were all very direct- I'm currently in school so a lot of the questions were focus on what I could apply from my program to the position.   Answer Question

Sale Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Petco (Chico, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online, within a week received a call inviting me to an open interview. Came to the back of the petco store with 7 other people and had a group interview. We were partnered up and had to interview each other and then had to report back what we found out about the other person to the rest of the group. We also had to sell a pet product to the group. Very easy conversational light interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for petco?   1 Answer

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Petco (Greenville, SC) in March 2015.

Interview

They called me a few days after I submitted my application online and we set up an interview for the next day. The interview was pretty typical for any retail jobs, though I was surprised to have two people interview me for the first interview. I thought it went okay, not awesome or anything. About two weeks went by and I figured they hadn't hired me because they had originally told me they would call me at the end of that week if I had been brought on or not; however, they called me soon after the two week mark and had me come in for paperwork. The pay was good and the staff was amazing, but unfortunately I had to go back on my original acceptance because I received a better offer.

Grooming Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Petco.

Interview

I just had a phone interview three days ago. I felt that I answered every question effectively but am still waiting for a call back from them. The manager asked me when a good time to schedule an interview with me, which I thought was a positive gesture, but then said he was going to go over my application with his manager before setting a face to face interview up so I'm not sure. Hoping I get the job and will give an update.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you'd be good for this position?   Answer Question
    • Do you have experience bathing dogs or clipping their nails?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Petco (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I first called about a week after seeing a listing online and went in for an interview. Upon arrival I found that it was a massive group interview. I thought it would be one of those interviews where they do a two part process in the same day to see if they like you but it wasn't. There was over 10 people in my initial interview. I was about 10 minutes long and they asked the basics and made us fill out a short application and asked us to apply online if we hadn't already done so. I left feeling confident in my answers but I didn't receive a call back until 5 weeks later. (Geez) once I received the call for a second interview I expected it to be a one on one interview because obviously I had already gone through the group process already and why would they call me back to have another second interview? Well no I was wrong it wasn't so much a group interview but it was just a interview just like the first one but there was only 1 other person there with me. We were asked the same generic questions as he first time. I was extremely disappointed considering I had already been through this process. It was another 10 minute interview and we were done just as soon as we got there. The interview was done with the same lady as the first time who recognized me from before. I once again gave my answers to the best of my ability and thought it'd be good because I already done it before. When it ended she said she'd call us back if interested for a second interview but mind you that would've been my 3rd interview and we left on that note. I wait a few days to call and they stated that they were still calling people back so I waited. However I just called back and they said they're done with call backs for second interviews. Its a bit confusing because technically I already had my second interview and never heard anything back and couldn't get a straight answer from anyone. The whole process overall has been very discouraging and confusing and very much a let down.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Petco in February 2015.

Interview

I interviewed for a GM position for their Unleashed brand. First interview was with a recruiter. He was very nice, and asked a few general background questions, as well as experience with animals. About a week later, I had a sit-down interview with the District Manager for the store I had applied to. He mentioned the store I had applied to was filled, but that he still needed someone at another location. It was a very enjoyable interview, lots of STAR-based scenario questions. About a week later, I was contacted for a 3rd interview with a corporate HR Manager. He gave me feedback he had received regarding my first 2 interviews, all positive. Our conversation ended up being more a general discussion regarding the company, and this brand in particular. The outlook was great, and he even sent me a package detailing the company's benefits package, which was very encouraging. Then I had a 4th(!) interview with the head of Operations, over the phone. This seemed to go well, short and sweet, no issues. After that, nothing. Silence. After about 3 weeks, I spoke with the District Manager, and he just told me things were in the works, and to be patient. Another week went by, and I got an automated rejection letter for the spot I had originally applied, but I knew that was filled already. I e-mailed the original recruiter, who seemed disappointed that that had happened, and he said he would find out what was going on. A few days later, still no answer, so I contacted the District Manager I had sat down with. He informed me they were still making decisions and there had been some structural changes that were causing delays. It's now 2 weeks since then, and nothing. I don't plan on calling again, and I hope what I've been told is truthful, but there is a slightly sour taste in my mouth from the whole process.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult. Know your strengths, know your weaknesses.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Petco.

Interview

Applied in December of 2014 and heard back within 3 days of applying. Manager called and held a 20 minute phone interview which went rather excellent. He then set up an interview for the following week. He did NOT mention it was group interview and he also failed to mention that he was not going to be present that day at all. Needless to say i got lost on the way to the store, ended up speaking to a different manager who then said it was group interview. I did not even bother to go into the stockroom where it was held I exited the store quickly and went back home. EXTREMELY unprofessional. Received a call in the beginning of January 2015 to schedule a 2nd interview. HOW ??? When there wasn't even a first one. The same manager called back stating to bring a copy of my resume because he did not want to look for my application. He then states that it is a 1 on 1 session. I did not even bother to show up as i accepted a job within a company elsewhere.

Interview Questions

There never was an interview to make an attempt to get to know me and the manager was extremely unprofessional. I do not participate in group interviews at all.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Petco in February 2015.

Interview

Was interviewed and basically guaranteed the job. He said he had one more interview the next day but they would have to blow him away for me to not get hired. Week went by and I never got a call so I called in and he said "we hired someone else" then rudely hung up. A week or so later I went in the store and people I had met from always shopping there asked me when I was starting. I said I didn't get the job, what do you mean? And they said that all my paperwork in the back said hire and my starting pay. He got confused and hired the wrong person apparently cause he's bad with faces and names and doesn't want anything to do with me now. So confused on what happened, hiring should be simple.