Petco

Updated Feb 24, 2015
Updated Feb 24, 2015

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Petco in August 2014.

I had 2 interviews and didn't get the job however the process was very long. I applied back in like January and I finally got a call in August and they were actually surprised at how over dressed I was for such a job.

Interview Questions
    • What products does the company carry, and why don't they carry certain brands?   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Petco in August 2014.

I applied on Aug 27 and got a call on September 2nd for an interview on the 3rd. Interview started at 2pm and ended around 2:45. The GM was the one who called but 2 assistant managers were the ones who interviewed me. At around 4pm the same day I got a call with a verbal offer and a written offer in my email a couple of hours later. First day of work was the 10th.

Interview Questions
    • All really easy. Just asked about myself. They asked if I would be ok handling spiders and I said definitely not.   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate but I needed the job

Pet Stylist Interview

One group interview with store managers, grooming manager and coworker, and a store manager from another location. Typical questions on knowledge of animal care and customer service. They require that you groom a dog in the interview process. I also met with the manager previous to the interview and dropped off my resume in person. Be sure to bring a portfolio of your previous grooms. It helps for them to have a reference of your ability.

Interview Questions
    • What dog breed are you most uncomfortable working with and why?   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate much. My advice would be to negotiate for a higher hourly in case business is slow.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I filled out a job application online and was called by a store manager two weeks later. The interviewer was kind. He read off of a list of seven questions and altered them to make them specifically geared towards my resume. The interview was going great until he heard I would have to leave for school in four months.

Interview Questions
    • What did you dislike about a person that had power over you in the past?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Petco.

you walk in, sit in back room, talk about nothing, you get hired because they're desperate for employees... boom that's it you have now earned a job that you will hate and eventually quit. congrats.

but seriously they accept walk ins. they are only really looking for cashiers though so be prepared to be asked to apply for that instead of what you originally wanted.

there was none

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Petco in July 2014.

Group interview. Open interviews are held every Wednesday. Fill out online application first. Be prepared for IQ/Graduate school entrance exam questions on the timed test. Making change is an expected question, but number sequences and proportionals were overdoing it for a part-time minimum wage position. For a place that is likely to discriminate against a degree holder for being over qualified, this seemed a bit of over-kill.
    Interview fairly easy. More relaxed and friendly than most group interviews have been. Appropriate "sell us an item" of your choice opportunity. At times called out and mocked gently for being over-professional.

Interview Questions
    • Mocked me for not being rude. They want to hear: why do you want to work here? I like animals and I need money.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Petco.

I applied online and didn't hear anything, so I called and they said to come in at a specific time any week for a group interview. I did exactly that. They said we could expect to hear back from them in a week - called them after a week, and they weren't ready. Called them after 2 weeks and they said they still haven't gotten back to anyone (despite mentioning how desperately they need workers) and they would get back to me. They never got back to me again.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult. Simple questions, like do you have pets/allergies/previous experience with animals or retail, and availability.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Mesa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Mesa, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Petco in June 2014.

I saw a sign outside and went in to ask for an application. The lady told me to apply online and come back in a few days for open interviews, so I did. There was only one other person there, so the manager saw us individually. It was laid back and simple, nothing out of the ordinary. Don't rave about how much you love birds or fish, just answer the questions and relax.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle uncomfortable situations?   View Answer
    None

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Petco in June 2014.

I applied online and called the store they told me to come in for the open interview and basically the interview was like a roleplay exercise first you had to tell them about yourself etc then you had to get a pet product and sell it to them after that the manager said she would call me back in about a week got the job cause they needed store associates.

didn't negotiate

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Petco.

I was promoted from within so the interview process was pretty quick and easy because I was already known. I did make sure to come prepared with all of my inventory numbers (I was inventory manager at the time). And I had thought ahead about my areas of opportunity. This was also for a new position all together (but considered to be at the assistant manager level) so the interview was over the phone and no one in upper management really seemed to know what to ask or what was to be expected.

Interview Questions
    • Since they didn't really know what to expect with the new endeavor, the interview consisted with questions of my management experience and how the weather was in my area versus theirs.   Answer Question
    Fortunately, as I previously mentioned, I was promoted from within so I had friends with pull that got me halfway from what I deserved and what I was offered. If it hadn't been for them, there would have been no negotiations and I would have been low-balled.