Petco Interview Questions & Reviews

2.2

Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bethlehem, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethlehem, PA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Petco in August 2013.

Petco hires genuinely kind people (at my location) and it truly is a family of co workers. As such, you almost need to know a current employee to get an interview.

Once I landed the interview, I was called in multiple times to get to know the manager. We would go outside and speak occasionally over the course of about 2 weeks which left a positive impact on me. Next I went into the store and took a tour for an hour with the general manager and a department manager, as all of the tasks of the workplace were explained and showed to me as we walked.

Finally the three of us sat down together and spoke for about another 30 minutes, but this time I was asked all of the basic interview questions. A few curveballs were thrown, so be prepared! They do want to hire people with a passion after all!

I started work one week later. Now nearly 9 months later, I love every minute I get to spend at work!

Interview Questions
    • If we decide to hire you, what will you be able to offer to the community, and why?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Petco.

I was promoted from within so the interview process was pretty quick and easy because I was already known. I did make sure to come prepared with all of my inventory numbers (I was inventory manager at the time). And I had thought ahead about my areas of opportunity. This was also for a new position all together (but considered to be at the assistant manager level) so the interview was over the phone and no one in upper management really seemed to know what to ask or what was to be expected.

Interview Questions
    • Since they didn't really know what to expect with the new endeavor, the interview consisted with questions of my management experience and how the weather was in my area versus theirs.   Answer Question
    Fortunately, as I previously mentioned, I was promoted from within so I had friends with pull that got me halfway from what I deserved and what I was offered. If it hadn't been for them, there would have been no negotiations and I would have been low-balled.

Sale Associate Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Petco.

I applied online and was called about two weeks later. I was asked to come in for an interview at the store. I was asked a few basic interview questions and what pets I currently have. I was also asked if I was comfortable handeling reptiles and I replied yes, because I have several snakes. The interviewer seemed impressed. After that, I was told that they would get back to me within a week and that they still had a few people to interview. Four days later I recieved a call back with an offer. I wore a decent cotton shirt, a cardigan, jeans and flats to the interview.

N/A

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  South Jordan, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Jordan, UT

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Petco in February 2014.

I applied online and forgot about it. Got a call back a couple months later for a group interview. It was very chill. No real interview questions. Just asked about availability and if you like dogs..Everyone in my group except one guy got the job because he gave one word answers and looked pretty stoned..

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. It's $8 an hour.

Aquatics Specialist Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Petco.

there will be two interviews one my general manager and by co manager you need to know your aquatic life.
    basic things like what are the 3 types of filtration, what fish can go with what fish, marine life is a must!
    basic understanding of customer service is another thing you need.

Interview Questions
    • define and list in order the nitrogen cycle   View Answer

Groomer's Assistant (Bather/Brusher) Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Petco in July 2013.

I was originally a sales associate but was offered the opportunity to transfer to the grooming salon as a bather. I took the opportunity because it gave me better pay and the chance to get more hands-on experience with animals. I did have to go through an interview, as if I was being hired for the first time, and a second background check.

Store Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  North Haven, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Haven, CT

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Petco in June 2010.

Applied online, received a phone call within a couple of weeks. The interview was conducted with the store manager, and only took about twenty minutes. We discussed expectations, what hours would be like, how I'd request my hours every pay period, etc. I was given a brief tour of the store and asked if I'd be willing to perform certain duties, none of which were anything unusual (for a pet supply store).

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, I was offered the standard wage, which was raised after training.

Grooming Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  West Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Sacramento, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Petco in April 2014.

Applied online and went to an open group interview on Friday. The next Wednesday I dropped off my resume and the gave me a second interview which I had that Friday with the store and grooming manager. It was a pleasant and easy interview.

Interview Questions
    Non negotiable salary. grooming assistants start at $8.00/per hour or 40% commission

Executive Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I interviewed through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Petco in November 2010.

My resume was forwarded to a recruiter who called me. I phone interviewed with her in June but she did not have anything for me at that time. I met with her the following month and had me met with one VP which did not work out. She had me follow up with her monthly and in November she had another Admin role come up and she called me to interview with that VP in person. I met him on a Friday and he wanted me to start the following Monday!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a project you had with multiple inputs with conflicting priorities   View Answer
    It as pretty straight forward with the amount that was offered. No negotiation as the salary that was shared with me during the interview process was it.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  West Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Sacramento, CA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Petco in April 2014.

Started with an online application and attended an open group interview on Friday (I had not originally planned on applying, but there was a sign on the door when I went to buy dog food)

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't one! It was very chill and laid back, I was only asked about my previous reptile and fish experience.   Answer Question