Petco Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2015

1.9

Sale Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Petco (Chico, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online, within a week received a call inviting me to an open interview. Came to the back of the petco store with 7 other people and had a group interview. We were partnered up and had to interview each other and then had to report back what we found out about the other person to the rest of the group. We also had to sell a pet product to the group. Very easy conversational light interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for petco?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Petco

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Petco (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I first called about a week after seeing a listing online and went in for an interview. Upon arrival I found that it was a massive group interview. I thought it would be one of those interviews where they do a two part process in the same day to see if they like you but it wasn't. There was over 10 people in my initial interview. I was about 10 minutes long and they asked the basics and made us fill out a short application and asked us to apply online if we hadn't already done so. I left feeling confident in my answers but I didn't receive a call back until 5 weeks later. (Geez) once I received the call for a second interview I expected it to be a one on one interview because obviously I had already gone through the group process already and why would they call me back to have another second interview? Well no I was wrong it wasn't so much a group interview but it was just a interview just like the first one but there was only 1 other person there with me. We were asked the same generic questions as he first time. I was extremely disappointed considering I had already been through this process. It was another 10 minute interview and we were done just as soon as we got there. The interview was done with the same lady as the first time who recognized me from before. I once again gave my answers to the best of my ability and thought it'd be good because I already done it before. When it ended she said she'd call us back if interested for a second interview but mind you that would've been my 3rd interview and we left on that note. I wait a few days to call and they stated that they were still calling people back so I waited. However I just called back and they said they're done with call backs for second interviews. Its a bit confusing because technically I already had my second interview and never heard anything back and couldn't get a straight answer from anyone. The whole process overall has been very discouraging and confusing and very much a let down.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Petco in January 2015.

Interview

I have job experience in both pet care and retail, so I figured a job was "in the bag". I got called in to do a group interview the same day I filled out an application, went in the next day. There was only two other people and we sat in a semi-circle, it felt very elementary school-like. I felt pretty good about it, as I was the only one who had the retail and professional pet care experience. The said they'd call us in for a second interview in 4 days. I ended up calling them on the 7th day and they said no decision had been made yet. Well, okay. It's kinda silly it's taking so long.

I had another interview at a different Petco the next week, it was supposed to be a group interview but the other person didn't show up so it was a 1-on-1. They asked me lots of questions, but I was prepared to answer all of them. Asked me if I was comfortable working with crickets, and I said I wasn't scared of them, but I've never handled crickets. They seemed pleased with how I answered the questions, and laughed when I told them something funny. They said they'd get back to me by the end of the week and they didn't.

I'm beginning to think Petco just likes to hold interviews and NOT hire people.

Interview Questions

• What skill do you need to improve upon?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Petco.

Interview

I applied online to a store that was 10 minutes from me. I called a couple days later to see if they reviewed my application, but the hiring manager told me she wouldn't be hiring till mid January, and I wanted a job now instead of when I start school again. So she forwarded my application to another store that's a bit far, but it's not too bad of a distance. That general manager called me within the next week and called me in for an interview. He basically was the one that was mostly talking. He asked me the obvious interview questions like "Why do you want to work at Petco? Why should we hire you? Do you like animals and if so what kind do you have? etc" Then I asked how many hours I'd be working and how much is pay and stuff like that. I mean it was chill and laid back, it wasn't hard or nerve wracking at all. And he said he will run a background check on me and then he will call me to start working. So he hired me right there on the spot.

Negotiation

I asked for 9$ or more an hour, and he asked what was my last jobs pay and I said it was 8.60, but he said he'll try to get it to 9$.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Petco.

Interview

Asked about my retail experience, if I had any pets at home, and if i was afraid of anything. Explained to me what the job entailed and what I would be expected to do and then offered me the position. A few months later I was promoted to a department manager position which had no interview process. It was more along the lines of do you want it here it is.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't really a question that was that difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't one.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Petco (Greenville, SC) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online months before, because it was for a location that wasn't built yet. A few weeks from the open date they brought in everyone for interviews. It was a pleasant experience. It took about an hour, and there were 5 of us doing it together. They basically went around and asked each of us the normal questions you ask in an interview. It was very laid back, and conversational.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you over anyone else?   Answer Question
    • What pets do you have at home, and what kinds have you had in the past?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Petco.

Interview

Store was too busy and didn't have much time to interview. seemed to be by the seat of there pants. interview was done on sales floor and was unprofessional feeling.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

described the highest wage at which a new hire could receive

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Petco.

Interview

The manager interviewed two of us at the same time. She basically explained to us how she runs the store and what she expects from us. She asked us a few questions but they were just about how we should treat "partners".

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this job. Was the only real interview question.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Homewood, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Petco (Homewood, IL) in September 2014.

Interview

Initially it started off great. I'm a very frequent customer at Petco and have a huge love for animals. The customers always think I work there and ask me questions and I help them, even the employees recommended that I work there And even had the manager who's in charge of hiring talk to me to get me a job. I waited about a week or so before I got a call saying to come in during one of the open interviews held only one day a week for an hr. When I got there there wasn't anyone there and no one knew what I was talking about so I waited for about 20 minutes before someone led me to the back along with 2 other people to get interviewed. In the interview easy questions were asked and I did great and was told I would be a perfect fit because I was knowledgeable and could work any time. The interview took about 25 minutes for all 3 of us.

I waited for a few days and never received a call. I decided to go back up there after weeks had gone by and ask when would I be expecting a call and they told me if I didn't get a call by now then they didn't want me and didn't need a lot of people, only on call people. Based off of the store hours and my schedule I could've easily been hired but they didn't want to work with a college student As I was told. The associate was rude about why I wasn't hired and that it's not that hard to work full time and go to school full time. I was more than qualified to work there and most of the people that work there have flexible hours so I was thrown off on why they didn't tell me beforehand that....it turns out they have no sympathy or flexibility with newbies who are in college but the people who've been there can do whatever they want, which I find unfair. The hours that they wanted could have been easily fulfilled with my schedule but when they tried to change up what they "wanted", working day to night, and making excuses because I said I could work right after school, arriving no later than 11 am- 12p.m until closing at 9 p.m., Monday through Friday and on weekends I realized that Petco wasn't the place for me.

Interview Questions

• Sell this product. What is your experience? Why would you be a good fit? Are you comfortable working with animals? Cleaning up? What is your availability?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

The process was easy and quick with a phone interview and a one on one interview to see how you perform. The interview was just like any typical retail job except involving animals in the store

Another opportunity