Petco Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2015

1.8

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Petco.

Interview

Group interview. You get a call if they pick you for a second interview. The manager didn't like that one of the other candidates would be attending school and was kind of rude about it. I'm thumbing down because I feel that group interviews (walking around the store) doesn't give you a chance to sell yourself.

Other Interview Reviews for Petco

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Petco.

Interview

Super casual and all personal questions. I was quite surprised actually. They called me to come in for an interview after about a week of waiting. I was hired on the spot. The only thing they wanted was a background check which was fine with me. 2 people were interviewing me and they were both really nice.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Petco? Are you comfortable handling animals? Do you get stressed out or upset easily?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Petco.

Interview

I submitted my application online about a three weeks before I received a call for an interview. I was surprised, and it seems like Petco generally operates on the fly like this and will hold applications for up to a month. I went in for a group interview that same day I was called. It was held in the dog training classes box and both the AM and the GM interviewed about seven of us. They were honest, open, and up front about who generally works out in the job we all applied for and who doesn't. They seem really flexible with your level of comfort with certain animals (or lack thereof) and being afraid of spiders doesn't disqualify you. They called me four hours later and offered me a position.

Interview Questions

• Animal fears? As a customer, when was a time you remember being treated really well by an employee of a store ? How would you deal with an impossible-to-please customer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Petco (Torrance, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very easy-going. The manager did the interview kinda weird because we talked as we walked around the store. It was very chill, he said I passed the first interview and that I would have to go to a second interview with the general manager who was only there on Wednesdays.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Petco in May 2015.

Interview

I came in and met the assistant/hiring manager. She asked me basic interview questions and then invited me to a job fair the next day. When I showed up for the job fair there was maybe 5-7 other applicants. We had a walkthrough of the store, where we were introduced to employees from the different departments, and briefed on what working for Petco entails. At the end I, and the other aplicants she had interviewed the previous day, were offered a job. (The rest were told to apply online)

Interview Questions

• Previous work history? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Why should I choose you over the other people I'll interview? Are there any animals you're afraid of? What pets do you have?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Petco (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in May 2015.

Interview

Very simple and thorough. The manager was nice and knowledable about what the company wants from their employees. They do a 1:1 and ask you questions as if they were the customer. They do this to show your communications skills which is not nessarily the best way to approach the situation because many people are very nervous on the first day.

Sale Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Petco (Chico, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online, within a week received a call inviting me to an open interview. Came to the back of the petco store with 7 other people and had a group interview. We were partnered up and had to interview each other and then had to report back what we found out about the other person to the rest of the group. We also had to sell a pet product to the group. Very easy conversational light interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for petco?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Petco (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I first called about a week after seeing a listing online and went in for an interview. Upon arrival I found that it was a massive group interview. I thought it would be one of those interviews where they do a two part process in the same day to see if they like you but it wasn't. There was over 10 people in my initial interview. I was about 10 minutes long and they asked the basics and made us fill out a short application and asked us to apply online if we hadn't already done so. I left feeling confident in my answers but I didn't receive a call back until 5 weeks later. (Geez) once I received the call for a second interview I expected it to be a one on one interview because obviously I had already gone through the group process already and why would they call me back to have another second interview? Well no I was wrong it wasn't so much a group interview but it was just a interview just like the first one but there was only 1 other person there with me. We were asked the same generic questions as he first time. I was extremely disappointed considering I had already been through this process. It was another 10 minute interview and we were done just as soon as we got there. The interview was done with the same lady as the first time who recognized me from before. I once again gave my answers to the best of my ability and thought it'd be good because I already done it before. When it ended she said she'd call us back if interested for a second interview but mind you that would've been my 3rd interview and we left on that note. I wait a few days to call and they stated that they were still calling people back so I waited. However I just called back and they said they're done with call backs for second interviews. Its a bit confusing because technically I already had my second interview and never heard anything back and couldn't get a straight answer from anyone. The whole process overall has been very discouraging and confusing and very much a let down.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Petco in January 2015.

Interview

I have job experience in both pet care and retail, so I figured a job was "in the bag". I got called in to do a group interview the same day I filled out an application, went in the next day. There was only two other people and we sat in a semi-circle, it felt very elementary school-like. I felt pretty good about it, as I was the only one who had the retail and professional pet care experience. The said they'd call us in for a second interview in 4 days. I ended up calling them on the 7th day and they said no decision had been made yet. Well, okay. It's kinda silly it's taking so long. I had another interview at a different Petco the next week, it was supposed to be a group interview but the other person didn't show up so it was a 1-on-1. They asked me lots of questions, but I was prepared to answer all of them. Asked me if I was comfortable working with crickets, and I said I wasn't scared of them, but I've never handled crickets. They seemed pleased with how I answered the questions, and laughed when I told them something funny. They said they'd get back to me by the end of the week and they didn't. I'm beginning to think Petco just likes to hold interviews and NOT hire people.

Interview Questions

• What skill do you need to improve upon?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Petco.

Interview

I applied online to a store that was 10 minutes from me. I called a couple days later to see if they reviewed my application, but the hiring manager told me she wouldn't be hiring till mid January, and I wanted a job now instead of when I start school again. So she forwarded my application to another store that's a bit far, but it's not too bad of a distance. That general manager called me within the next week and called me in for an interview. He basically was the one that was mostly talking. He asked me the obvious interview questions like "Why do you want to work at Petco? Why should we hire you? Do you like animals and if so what kind do you have? etc" Then I asked how many hours I'd be working and how much is pay and stuff like that. I mean it was chill and laid back, it wasn't hard or nerve wracking at all. And he said he will run a background check on me and then he will call me to start working. So he hired me right there on the spot.

Negotiation

I asked for 9$ or more an hour, and he asked what was my last jobs pay and I said it was 8.60, but he said he'll try to get it to 9$.