Petco Interview Questions in San Diego, CA

18 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Mesa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Mesa, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Petco in June 2014.

I saw a sign outside and went in to ask for an application. The lady told me to apply online and come back in a few days for open interviews, so I did. There was only one other person there, so the manager saw us individually. It was laid back and simple, nothing out of the ordinary. Don't rave about how much you love birds or fish, just answer the questions and relax.

None

Vendor Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Petco in June 2014.

Applied online, Interviewed with Recruiter on the phone, Interviewed with two analysts on the phone, interviewed for 2.5 hours with 6-7 people in person panel interview. Had to complete a personality test, and a reference "checkster" that all of your references have to complete with in 48 hours and submit to the company online.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Petco.

Completed lengthy application process online, was contacted for a phone screen by third party company.

Interview Questions
    • The rep blew off the scheduled interview and I never heard from her again.   Answer Question

Corporate Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Petco.

Applied online & received contact from HR department, set up phone interview for following week. Approx. 30 min phone interview took place. Went in for in person interviews approx. 3 weeks later. Had multiple interviews within one day. Did not receive feedback in terms of positive or negative or when the position would be filled. Was only to reach out to HR department for follow-up. Received a request for a background check and personality test. Was to complete all items within 7 days. Received great marks on background check (must have at least 5 contacts complete the background check for you - "regarding your skills / work ethic"). Did not receive any update from Petco in regards to them receiving my survey and background check successfully. Had to follow-up with HR department numerous times to ensure all items were completed and received successfully (I was concerned about technical issues in their system). Did not receive any communications from HR in terms of updates on hiring process and if I remained a candidate. Finally received generic email stating that I "did not receive the position" but it was unclear as to why and if they had hired someone else or if position was just no longer needed. Very cold from company that requested so much of a candidate in terms of time as well as having candidate handle all follow-ups for any progress. I understand that not all applicants with interviews receive a position, but just thought a phone call or personalized email to notify me as a candidate would have been more appropriate.

Interview Questions
    • Not much was asked in way of questions - pretty much just have to share your background well and what you feel is relevant to the position on your own to make a good case for yourself as a candidate.   Answer Question

Change Management Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Petco in April 2013.

Straight forward interview process with a 1:1 discussion to start followed by a panel interview with colleagues and the hiring manager. The company is split across 2 corporate locations - San Antonio and San Diego - so much of the process happens with video calls or conference calls.

Interview Questions
    • If you were added to the team how would you align the executives in the first week?   View Answer
    No negotiations available - hr dictated the bands and terms - hiring manager was not involved.

Product Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Petco.

Digitally applied online, one week for response, then message for phone interview. Phone interview was basic and roughly 15 min. No follow up.

Marketing Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Petco.

Hiring process is a bit lengthy for an entry-level position. Met with an analyst, a supervisor, a manager, 2 directors, 2 or 3 merchants that I would be supporting, and the VP. A little much for the level of role it is.... the questions are not too bad, but they expect advanced degrees and an MBA for some of the entry level roles- very high expectations. Ask for a tour of the office to make sure you know what you are in for.

Interview Questions
    There is zero negotiation whatsoever (for an entry-level role). You can negotiate at higher levels coming in- and make sure you do so because you will not be able to with internal promotions.

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Petco.

I am a neighborhood shopper and a manager told me how they had lost a few employees, because of school. The hiring manager invited me in for an interview and hired me on the spot, because of my retail experience. My hiring manager is no longer there. Be aware that Petco now has a group interview process.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Petco in January 2012.

I was contacted and had a phone interview with the talent acquisition specialist which went very well. (Very relaxed, very pleasant to talk to, and very professional. Overall a great conversation.)

I was then contacted by the hiring manager for a 30 minute phone interview which went well (a little dry, not very pleasant).

From there I received an e-mail (actually four separate e-mails) from a different talent acquisition specialist and was asked to complete the following:

a) a written application request which needed to be faxed back within 48hrs (which requires a Social Security Number)
    b) a behavioral exam which needed to be completed within 48hrs.
    c) a username for a separate online program that required you to request 7-25 recommendations from other people. They need to reply within 4 days, you need to assess yourself, and most of my professional references indicated the questions to be extensive. The program states you will receive a report showing what the results are, however, if I recall correctly you have to pay for it.

*Note - I received this request on the Friday before a three day Holiday weekend. Personally, I feel it was unreasonable to ask an applicant to complete this process within 48hrs. Given the national Holiday weekend it was tough to ask your references to complete the request quickly.

I was given a time and date for the interview, along with a map and written instructions on how to get there which was helpful. I received confirmation I would be meet two people, one in the first hour, the second would enter for thirty minutes after that.

The first discussion was professional but very dry. The hiring manager made every indication that the meeting was over and had body language that suggested I should follow. I started following him/her to the door. While walking out the door I met his/her manager, and WAS NOT INTRODUCED verbally but instead the Sr. Manager told me to "STAY". I must admit my surprise- it is the first meeting I've ever been to where a manager did not introduce their direct manager by name when they walk into a room during an interview. The exchange was rough to say the least.

Overall the interview conversation could have been more professional on their part with even a simple introduction to the second party joining the room, conversation was very dry, and lacked a friendly atmosphere from the start and throughout. There was no small talk to make a guest feel comfortable and/or welcome. I would normally not mention this, however, in the call I asked the hiring manager what the environment was like, and was told it was much more relaxed and personable than many of the other places he/she had experienced. (The website also mentioned dogs and pets were welcome in the office which painted a very friendly environment in my mind.) I also noticed the receptionist was unfriendly and did not return a smile when I smiled and said "hello" and "goodbye". In retrospect, this was probably a great indication as to the environment and what was to come next.

In summary, I felt the process could have been more professional, more welcoming, took way to much effort upfront (from myself, AND my professional references), and the location lacked a friendly environment to pursue a career in. I also do not like being asked for my social security number prior to being offered a position. I understand background checks are needed, however, I believe that can be conditional to employment when the offer is extended. I would have had to overcome serious doubts before accepting the opportunity given that environment. Luckily I was not put in that position as the company did not extend an offer.

I hope my experience was just due to the individuals I was meeting with (as the first talent specialist was VERY friendly). Unfortunately given the rank of the managers and the unhappy receptionist, the unwelcoming environment in that building may have been created from the top down.

There are several buildings to interview in, so you may have a better experience than I did.

I hope this helps and Good Luck!

Merchandise Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Petco in January 2012.

Ludicrous interview process. After a surprisingly in-depth phone interview with the HR recruiter, I was given an online personality test to complete before being scheduled for my in-person interview. The personality test was at least 45 minutes of answering inane questions that would make just as much sense if I was interviewing to work at a day care center or as a janitor rather than a merchandise analyst in a corporate setting.

The in-person interview wasn't a panel, but three solid hours broken up into half-hour interviews with 1-2 people at a time. That means I got to answer the same standard interview questions 6 different times. By the third interview session, I simply started omitting details about my past because I was sick of repeating myself. The interview questions themselves were standard and everyone except the directors were friendly and welcoming.

To top it all off, after going through hours and hours of the interview process, I was never even notified about whether I had been accepted or rejected. I eventually followed up a week or so after my thank you letters went out and was ignored.

Then a couple months later they said there was a similar position that I could interview for, so they brought me back in for ANOTHER 3 hour interview process. Half the people I had already interviewed with the first time. Once again, I received friendly, glowing people during the interview and no follow up afterwards.

I'd also like to note that the actual interview took place in the most disgusting meeting room I've ever seen. Chairs were torn, the desk was chewed up, the walls were dirty, the carpet was stained...it was a terrible first impression to show a potential employee. While waiting in the meeting room, I could overhear the secretary as she explained to a co-worker how she was being laid off from her temp position so they could bring in a fresh temp to replace her instead of hiring her.

Years later, I still wonder whether there was even a position open or if they were just using me as a mock interview to sharpen up their own interview skills as part of their personal development plan. The job postings never went away, so it doesn't seem like they ever filled them. I guess they could also be trying to cherry pick over-qualified candidates to underpay for a non-managerial position...but the end result is the same. A gigantic waste of time for everyone involved.

Interview Questions
    • Estimate the number of pieces of gum chewed in America every day.   Answer Question