Petco

Relevance Date Difficulty

Cashier Interview

Cashier
La Mesa, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Petco in June 2014.

Interview Details – I saw a sign outside and went in to ask for an application. The lady told me to apply online and come back in a few days for open interviews, so I did. There was only one other person there, so the manager saw us individually. It was laid back and simple, nothing out of the ordinary. Don't rave about how much you love birds or fish, just answer the questions and relax.

Interview Question – How do you handle uncomfortable situations?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Executive Administrative Interview

Executive Administrative
San Diego, CA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Petco in November 2010.

Interview Details – My resume was forwarded to a recruiter who called me. I phone interviewed with her in June but she did not have anything for me at that time. I met with her the following month and had me met with one VP which did not work out. She had me follow up with her monthly and in November she had another Admin role come up and she called me to interview with that VP in person. I met him on a Friday and he wanted me to start the following Monday!

Interview Question – Tell me about a project you had with multiple inputs with conflicting priorities   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It as pretty straight forward with the amount that was offered. No negotiation as the salary that was shared with me during the interview process was it.

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
San Diego, CA

I applied online and interviewed at Petco.

Interview Details – Completed lengthy application process online, was contacted for a phone screen by third party company.

Interview Question – The rep blew off the scheduled interview and I never heard from her again.   Answer Question

Change Management Lead Interview

Change Management Lead
San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Petco in April 2013.

Interview Details – Straight forward interview process with a 1:1 discussion to start followed by a panel interview with colleagues and the hiring manager. The company is split across 2 corporate locations - San Antonio and San Diego - so much of the process happens with video calls or conference calls.

Interview Question – If you were added to the team how would you align the executives in the first week?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations available - hr dictated the bands and terms - hiring manager was not involved.

Corporate Position Interview

Corporate Position
San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Petco.

Interview Details – Applied online & received contact from HR department, set up phone interview for following week. Approx. 30 min phone interview took place. Went in for in person interviews approx. 3 weeks later. Had multiple interviews within one day. Did not receive feedback in terms of positive or negative or when the position would be filled. Was only to reach out to HR department for follow-up. Received a request for a background check and personality test. Was to complete all items within 7 days. Received great marks on background check (must have at least 5 contacts complete the background check for you - "regarding your skills / work ethic"). Did not receive any update from Petco in regards to them receiving my survey and background check successfully. Had to follow-up with HR department numerous times to ensure all items were completed and received successfully (I was concerned about technical issues in their system). Did not receive any communications from HR in terms of updates on hiring process and if I remained a candidate. Finally received generic email stating that I "did not receive the position" but it was unclear as to why and if they had hired someone else or if position was just no longer needed. Very cold from company that requested so much of a candidate in terms of time as well as having candidate handle all follow-ups for any progress. I understand that not all applicants with interviews receive a position, but just thought a phone call or personalized email to notify me as a candidate would have been more appropriate.

Interview Question – Not much was asked in way of questions - pretty much just have to share your background well and what you feel is relevant to the position on your own to make a good case for yourself as a candidate.   Answer Question

Product Design Interview

Product Design
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Petco.

Interview Details – Digitally applied online, one week for response, then message for phone interview. Phone interview was basic and roughly 15 min. No follow up.

Interview Question – How do you stay organized?   Answer Question

Marketing Data Analyst Interview

Marketing Data Analyst
San Diego, CA

I applied online and interviewed at Petco.

Interview Details – Hiring process is a bit lengthy for an entry-level position. Met with an analyst, a supervisor, a manager, 2 directors, 2 or 3 merchants that I would be supporting, and the VP. A little much for the level of role it is.... the questions are not too bad, but they expect advanced degrees and an MBA for some of the entry level roles- very high expectations. Ask for a tour of the office to make sure you know what you are in for.

Interview Question – Estimate the number of windows in NYC   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is zero negotiation whatsoever (for an entry-level role). You can negotiate at higher levels coming in- and make sure you do so because you will not be able to with internal promotions.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Petco in March 2011.

Interview Details – I was invited for an interview after the hiring manager received my resume as a referral. The job required a bit more PM experience and certifications that I had at the time. Petco is an outstanding company and I was very interested in working for them if the position was a good fit. This one was not.

Interview Question – What are the most important aspects of project management to you?   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

Coordinator
San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Petco in May 2008.

Interview Details – Disorganized. Uprepared. Unprofessional. Met with director of department who talked primarily about their own career advancement

Interview Question – None. The guy had zero questions for me. Poor interviewing skills or possibly not interested in my background or abilities.   Answer Question

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Customer Service Advisor
San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Petco.

Interview Details – I am a neighborhood shopper and a manager told me how they had lost a few employees, because of school. The hiring manager invited me in for an interview and hired me on the spot, because of my retail experience. My hiring manager is no longer there. Be aware that Petco now has a group interview process.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Petco.   View Answer

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!