Petco Interview Questions in San Diego, CA

Updated Jul 2, 2015

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Petco (San Diego, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Went in half an hour early. Walked around the store to get a feel for the vibe of the employees. When it was time for my interview, they told me that there office was in use and to wait another 10 minutes, so I continued to walk around. I was under the impression that the man who called me would be interviewing me, but I then found out that it was him and a woman. The man who called me to come in for the interview was just jotting down notes on the side while the woman asked me questions. A lot of the questions she asked me were very inappropriate and constantly reminded me that this was a retail job and not directly working with animals (duh, I could have told her that myself). She only asked me about three questions about the job and the rest were personal questions. She constantly cut me off to put in her two cents. She was cut and dry, only smiled once and that was when I walked out the door. I was offended and this is overall the worst experience I've had when it came to an interview. Towards the end of the interview she asked me what my other interests were and I told her. She said I should look in to working in jobs that fall into that interest, and then directed me out of the office. Overall the experience was uncomfortable and I know I have a sliver of a chance hearing back but even if I did, I wouldn't accept the offer.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any fears of snakes? rats? crickets? scorpions? tarantulas? Explain a time you had good customer service. Explain a time you had bad customer experience.   Answer Question

Merchandise Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Petco (San Diego, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received an email of interest within a week. I spoke with the recruiter, she was really nice and pleasant to speak with. Although the interview process was good, I loose a lot of respect for a company that leaves applicants hanging after an interview. It shows that they either dont really care, lack of leadership or are seriously under staff. One tip for Petco: Send a rejection email to applicants that are not moving forward, it only takes two seconds.

Interview Questions

• The questions were all very direct- I'm currently in school so a lot of the questions were focus on what I could apply from my program to the position.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Mesa, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Petco (La Mesa, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

I saw a sign outside and went in to ask for an application. The lady told me to apply online and come back in a few days for open interviews, so I did. There was only one other person there, so the manager saw us individually. It was laid back and simple, nothing out of the ordinary. Don't rave about how much you love birds or fish, just answer the questions and relax.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle uncomfortable situations?   1 Answer

Negotiation

None

Vendor Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Petco (San Diego, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Applied online, Interviewed with Recruiter on the phone, Interviewed with two analysts on the phone, interviewed for 2.5 hours with 6-7 people in person panel interview. Had to complete a personality test, and a reference "checkster" that all of your references have to complete with in 48 hours and submit to the company online.

Interview Questions

• How many windows are in NYC?   1 Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Petco (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Completed lengthy application process online, was contacted for a phone screen by third party company.

Interview Questions

• The rep blew off the scheduled interview and I never heard from her again.   Answer Question

Corporate Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Petco (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Applied online & received contact from HR department, set up phone interview for following week. Approx. 30 min phone interview took place. Went in for in person interviews approx. 3 weeks later. Had multiple interviews within one day. Did not receive feedback in terms of positive or negative or when the position would be filled. Was only to reach out to HR department for follow-up. Received a request for a background check and personality test. Was to complete all items within 7 days. Received great marks on background check (must have at least 5 contacts complete the background check for you - "regarding your skills / work ethic"). Did not receive any update from Petco in regards to them receiving my survey and background check successfully. Had to follow-up with HR department numerous times to ensure all items were completed and received successfully (I was concerned about technical issues in their system). Did not receive any communications from HR in terms of updates on hiring process and if I remained a candidate. Finally received generic email stating that I "did not receive the position" but it was unclear as to why and if they had hired someone else or if position was just no longer needed. Very cold from company that requested so much of a candidate in terms of time as well as having candidate handle all follow-ups for any progress. I understand that not all applicants with interviews receive a position, but just thought a phone call or personalized email to notify me as a candidate would have been more appropriate.

Interview Questions

• Not much was asked in way of questions - pretty much just have to share your background well and what you feel is relevant to the position on your own to make a good case for yourself as a candidate.   Answer Question

Change Management Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Petco (San Diego, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Straight forward interview process with a 1:1 discussion to start followed by a panel interview with colleagues and the hiring manager. The company is split across 2 corporate locations - San Antonio and San Diego - so much of the process happens with video calls or conference calls.

Interview Questions

• If you were added to the team how would you align the executives in the first week?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations available - hr dictated the bands and terms - hiring manager was not involved.

Product Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Petco (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Digitally applied online, one week for response, then message for phone interview. Phone interview was basic and roughly 15 min. No follow up.

Marketing Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Petco (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Hiring process is a bit lengthy for an entry-level position. Met with an analyst, a supervisor, a manager, 2 directors, 2 or 3 merchants that I would be supporting, and the VP. A little much for the level of role it is.... the questions are not too bad, but they expect advanced degrees and an MBA for some of the entry level roles- very high expectations. Ask for a tour of the office to make sure you know what you are in for.

Interview Questions

• Estimate the number of windows in NYC   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is zero negotiation whatsoever (for an entry-level role). You can negotiate at higher levels coming in- and make sure you do so because you will not be able to with internal promotions.

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Petco (San Diego, CA).

Interview

I am a neighborhood shopper and a manager told me how they had lost a few employees, because of school. The hiring manager invited me in for an interview and hired me on the spot, because of my retail experience. My hiring manager is no longer there. Be aware that Petco now has a group interview process.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Petco.   2 Answers