Petco Interview Questions in San Diego, CA

Updated Aug 26, 2014

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Merchandise Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Petco in January 2012.

Ludicrous interview process. After a surprisingly in-depth phone interview with the HR recruiter, I was given an online personality test to complete before being scheduled for my in-person interview. The personality test was at least 45 minutes of answering inane questions that would make just as much sense if I was interviewing to work at a day care center or as a janitor rather than a merchandise analyst in a corporate setting.

The in-person interview wasn't a panel, but three solid hours broken up into half-hour interviews with 1-2 people at a time. That means I got to answer the same standard interview questions 6 different times. By the third interview session, I simply started omitting details about my past because I was sick of repeating myself. The interview questions themselves were standard and everyone except the directors were friendly and welcoming.

To top it all off, after going through hours and hours of the interview process, I was never even notified about whether I had been accepted or rejected. I eventually followed up a week or so after my thank you letters went out and was ignored.

Then a couple months later they said there was a similar position that I could interview for, so they brought me back in for ANOTHER 3 hour interview process. Half the people I had already interviewed with the first time. Once again, I received friendly, glowing people during the interview and no follow up afterwards.

I'd also like to note that the actual interview took place in the most disgusting meeting room I've ever seen. Chairs were torn, the desk was chewed up, the walls were dirty, the carpet was stained...it was a terrible first impression to show a potential employee. While waiting in the meeting room, I could overhear the secretary as she explained to a co-worker how she was being laid off from her temp position so they could bring in a fresh temp to replace her instead of hiring her.

Years later, I still wonder whether there was even a position open or if they were just using me as a mock interview to sharpen up their own interview skills as part of their personal development plan. The job postings never went away, so it doesn't seem like they ever filled them. I guess they could also be trying to cherry pick over-qualified candidates to underpay for a non-managerial position...but the end result is the same. A gigantic waste of time for everyone involved.

Interview Questions
    • Estimate the number of pieces of gum chewed in America every day.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  La Mesa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Mesa, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Petco in June 2014.

I saw a sign outside and went in to ask for an application. The lady told me to apply online and come back in a few days for open interviews, so I did. There was only one other person there, so the manager saw us individually. It was laid back and simple, nothing out of the ordinary. Don't rave about how much you love birds or fish, just answer the questions and relax.

None

Executive Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Petco in November 2010.

My resume was forwarded to a recruiter who called me. I phone interviewed with her in June but she did not have anything for me at that time. I met with her the following month and had me met with one VP which did not work out. She had me follow up with her monthly and in November she had another Admin role come up and she called me to interview with that VP in person. I met him on a Friday and he wanted me to start the following Monday!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a project you had with multiple inputs with conflicting priorities   View Answer
    It as pretty straight forward with the amount that was offered. No negotiation as the salary that was shared with me during the interview process was it.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Petco.

Completed lengthy application process online, was contacted for a phone screen by third party company.

Interview Questions
    • The rep blew off the scheduled interview and I never heard from her again.   Answer Question

Change Management Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Petco in April 2013.

Straight forward interview process with a 1:1 discussion to start followed by a panel interview with colleagues and the hiring manager. The company is split across 2 corporate locations - San Antonio and San Diego - so much of the process happens with video calls or conference calls.

Interview Questions
    • If you were added to the team how would you align the executives in the first week?   View Answer
    No negotiations available - hr dictated the bands and terms - hiring manager was not involved.

Corporate Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Petco.

Applied online & received contact from HR department, set up phone interview for following week. Approx. 30 min phone interview took place. Went in for in person interviews approx. 3 weeks later. Had multiple interviews within one day. Did not receive feedback in terms of positive or negative or when the position would be filled. Was only to reach out to HR department for follow-up. Received a request for a background check and personality test. Was to complete all items within 7 days. Received great marks on background check (must have at least 5 contacts complete the background check for you - "regarding your skills / work ethic"). Did not receive any update from Petco in regards to them receiving my survey and background check successfully. Had to follow-up with HR department numerous times to ensure all items were completed and received successfully (I was concerned about technical issues in their system). Did not receive any communications from HR in terms of updates on hiring process and if I remained a candidate. Finally received generic email stating that I "did not receive the position" but it was unclear as to why and if they had hired someone else or if position was just no longer needed. Very cold from company that requested so much of a candidate in terms of time as well as having candidate handle all follow-ups for any progress. I understand that not all applicants with interviews receive a position, but just thought a phone call or personalized email to notify me as a candidate would have been more appropriate.

Interview Questions
    • Not much was asked in way of questions - pretty much just have to share your background well and what you feel is relevant to the position on your own to make a good case for yourself as a candidate.   Answer Question

Product Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Petco.

Digitally applied online, one week for response, then message for phone interview. Phone interview was basic and roughly 15 min. No follow up.

Marketing Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Petco.

Hiring process is a bit lengthy for an entry-level position. Met with an analyst, a supervisor, a manager, 2 directors, 2 or 3 merchants that I would be supporting, and the VP. A little much for the level of role it is.... the questions are not too bad, but they expect advanced degrees and an MBA for some of the entry level roles- very high expectations. Ask for a tour of the office to make sure you know what you are in for.

Interview Questions
    There is zero negotiation whatsoever (for an entry-level role). You can negotiate at higher levels coming in- and make sure you do so because you will not be able to with internal promotions.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Petco in March 2011.

I was invited for an interview after the hiring manager received my resume as a referral. The job required a bit more PM experience and certifications that I had at the time. Petco is an outstanding company and I was very interested in working for them if the position was a good fit. This one was not.

Interview Questions
    • What are the most important aspects of project management to you?   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Petco in May 2008.

Disorganized. Uprepared. Unprofessional. Met with director of department who talked primarily about their own career advancement

Interview Questions
    • None. The guy had zero questions for me. Poor interviewing skills or possibly not interested in my background or abilities.   Answer Question

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!