Petco

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Manager Role Interview

Senior Manager Role
San Diego, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Petco in January 2010.

Interview Details – A search firm brought the opportunity to my attention. I had a great phone interview with both the search firm and the individual the position would report too. Once the phone interviews were concluded I was then set-up for a day of in-person interviews with roughly 6 people. The internal recruiter who guided me through the process was very pleasant. I was given numerous IQ-based, personality and problem solving assessments. I was interviewing for a role in the HR department. Several of the HR people were rather unimpressive due to their rudeness and lack of interview skills. One of the interviewers was not feeling well and was coughing and sneezing in my direction without an apology. The head of HR was awful he kept me waiting for 25+ minutes, had little to no eye contact. I got the feeling he did not like me yet we had a very energetic phone conversation - perhaps he is more comfortable over the phone than in person. He would not engage in a detailed conversation and actually refused to answer one of my follow-up questions. The only people worth meeting was the head of marketing and the CFO - both very engaging, we had very thoughtful dicussions. HR should be the most skilled department in interviewing candidates and they were not. They all seemed bored and gave me the impression they would rather be somewhere else.

I think that Petco needs to treat their candidates better the receptionist was rude as I was 15 minutes early and she informed me that her day did not start yet although she was at her desk she would not acknowledge me until the 15 minutes had passed. It was a shame as I was really excited about the opportunity and big pet lover/owner and was a long time customer. You need to treat all candidates with respect as they are future and or current customers. I now spend more of my money with Petsmart.

Interview Question – The assessment tests were difficult at times.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – For the reasons stated above I told the recruiter I was not interested in pursuing further discussions with Petco.

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!