Petroleum Geo-Services Interview Questions

Updated Jun 4, 2015

Senior Geophysicist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Petroleum Geo-Services.

Interview

Had lunch with Managers. It was very friendly. Some technical questions, some more general questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Offer on the phone. no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Petroleum Geo-Services (Houston, TX) in November 2012.

Interview

The first round interview was conducted by a senior Hiring manager and a Senior Geophysicists. I was asked to describe my masters course and what I learned (i.e. Geophysics Processing, etc..). The questions involved explaining processing methods and certain theories (e.g. the theory behind radon transform). That interview went and I was schedculed for a second interview with the hiring manager, processing manager and the senior geophysicists. The second interview was to inform of the benefits and reasons why PGS was a great company, it was during this interview that I was asked for my salary expectations...I had the last interview via skype.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Simply asked what my salary expectation are

Navigator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oslo (Norway)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Petroleum Geo-Services (Oslo (Norway)).

Interview

First round is a video response to a few questions about what you skills you think you need for the job etc. You have as many takes as you want before you submit. Next round is a face to face interview with at least 3 senior employees in either Houston or Oslo.

Interview Questions

• What is the most important characteristic of someone who is good at the job?   1 Answer

Graduate Geophysicist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Weybridge, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Petroleum Geo-Services (Weybridge, England (UK)).

Interview

After a recruitment visit at my university, I applied for the position in December by sending a cover letter and CV directly to PGS. There was a delay in my interview date due to logistics and I was selected for a campus interview in March the next year. It was a panel interview with technical and HR personnel. Technical questions were seismic data acquisition and processing based and I was required to demonstrate my understanding of this while looking at seismic sections. HR questions were competency based and OK. I was invited for the final interview about 3 weeks later at their office in Weybridge were I was lodged in a hotel. It was a full day activity, starting with a more focussed technical interview on Seismic processing and acquisition as well as current techniques in this field. Few questions on my understanding of the role were asked. After this, I was given a tour of the facilities and offices and then finally a short lecture on one of their leading technologies with a short question and answer quiz following. After about a week+, I received an email stating that I did not show a high enough standard at the interview for what they required.

Interview Questions

• As an employee, what questions will you ask when given a project to do?   Answer Question

Junior Geophysicist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Weybridge, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Petroleum Geo-Services (Weybridge, England (UK)) in March 2013.

Interview

The initial interview process involved a first short interview with the HR manager and a processing project leader. It was a very easy, informal affair and should cause no great concern to anyone. Following this, I was invited amongst others, to come to the main office in Weybridge, UK for an assessment day, which included a full tour of the office. The interview itself was purely technical and last about 25 minutes long. It wasn't overly difficult, but required you to know a typical processing flow extremely well.

Interview Questions

• What is the main difference between depth imaging and inversion imaging? And how does our BroadSeis technology help inversion?   Answer Question

Geoscientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Petroleum Geo-Services in September 2012.

Interview

phone interview followed by face-to-face interview in the office. The latter lasted the whole day as I was interviewed by lots of different people and also had to present something. There was also a quick session in front of a PC screen where they made me interpret some salt tectonic structures.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about interpreting seismic data you never saw before in the absence of well data?   Answer Question

Desktop Administrator () Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Petroleum Geo-Services (London, England (UK)) in June 2011.

Interview

Email HR with my resume and got an email to schedule a phone interview with the head of their Global IT team. In the interview he asked about my academic experience and after a short s=chat proceeded to hint at an offer. Got an official offer later that day

Interview Questions

• no hard questions were asked, just general questions about my experiences   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiation necessary, the initial offer was good enough

Junior Geophysicist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Petroleum Geo-Services (Mumbai (India)) in February 2011.

Interview

PGS sent notices to all the Indian Universities (Having Geophysics course). Was invited for one round tele confrencing interview on the Mumbai centre. Then result is out after almost 2 months.

Interview Questions

• Every bit of seismic data processing is aked in thorough detail.   Answer Question

Geophysicist Interview

Application

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Petroleum Geo-Services in June 2010.

Interview

First round interviews at University and then final technical interviews at the office. First interview mainly competency and the final one was a technical interview lasting approximately 1.5 hrs. As long as you have been generous in your reading of Yilmaz it should be fine.

Geophysics Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Petroleum Geo-Services in June 2010.

Interview

a telephone call to be invited for a 1:1 interview with senior geophysicist in seismic data processing, then accepted for temporary contract for 3 months to be renewed or ended. after 2 months invited internaly for an interview with center manager, assisstant area geo of the center and the HR, the interview was behavior check and background check ( this interview was on recommendation for complete hiring with final contract ) after 2 days i was informed that i will run second interview for some personal defects needed to be fixed ( overconfidence ) this interview will be before the end of the temporary contract. until now didn`t here from the HR about the time of the second interview.

Interview Questions

• what do you know about the company activities ? what is the nationality of the company?   1 Answer