Petronas Interview Questions

Updated Sep 4, 2014
Updated Sep 4, 2014

3.1

Fresh Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Melbourne (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Petronas in November 2012.

Very basic and not that difficult

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a situation that shows you are a good problem solver   Answer Question

Legal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Petronas in November 2013.

I attended a technical assessment on 19.11.2013. The interview was basically about your work experience and what you have done in your career. They just wanted to know your character and how you will fit into the company. I did ask them how long it would take to hear from them if I succeed to the next step which is the SI. THey told me it would be around 2 weeks - 1 month. It has been 2 weeks but I have not heard anything from them =(...I am pretty disappointed as I was really looking forward to getting an opportunity with the company. I did get a call from HR last week though asking me questions regarding my certs. But not heard anything else thus far.

Does petronas inform you if you did not get through?? I have e-mailed the HR for an update but there has been no reply.

Interview Questions
    • How can you contribute to Petronas.

Why do you want to join petronas

Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I applied online. The process took 7 months - interviewed at Petronas in June 2009.

Structured Interview - Family Background, Role-Play, Scenario Play, IQ & Math Test

Instrument Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Petronas in December 2009.

Structured interview - one-to-one interview, then followed by group discussion. A topic will be given and candidate has to 'debat' with each other to come up with proper justification, proposal and support to the points given.

Lead Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Petronas in February 2013.

Interview via video conference (KL-Tokyo-Paris). Mainly on highly technical questions, as the company is looking for lead engineer position which is urgently needed. Not a structured interview, where the interviewer asked any questions which pop-up in his mind.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of questions requires interviewee to remember Codes and Standard by heart..   Answer Question

Executive Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Petronas.

Technical Assessment- I was being interviewed by 2 personnel from the department. Basic interview questions were asked. Simple self introduction, no technical questions were being asked. The interview was done in an hour.

Structured Interview- It was an interview conducted by HR department. There were 2 interviewers, both from senior position. It usually takes around 1.5 - 2 hours. Just be confident in what you're saying. They will argue whatever opinion that you have. Keep calm :)
    3 sessions done continuously:

1) case study
    2) competency based question - problem solving skills
    3) role play

Interview Questions
    • what kind of problems that have you faced before and how you solve it?   View Answers (2)

Instrument Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Teronoh (Malaysia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Teronoh (Malaysia)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Petronas in October 2011.

they have 2 slot of interviews which are called CBI and SI . the toughest about this interview is they have type of interview that we need to spontaneous response in urgent cases .

Interview Questions
    no negotiation becouse i was one of the Petronas Scholarship student and have some agreement that i have to follow when i finished my study.

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Petronas in March 2012.

Structured interview with maximum 2 screening

Interview Questions
    • Provide reason why PETRONAS should consider your technical capability will help the compoany to propel better.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

called for Structured interview. 3 main section.

first section, intro yourself.
    basically explaining stuff about you and your strength and weakness

second section, case study
    Need to read a case study and explain it to them. It is a two way communication where the interviewer will ask questions about the case study

third section, role playing
    have to role play and act based on a situation.

Junior Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Petronas in October 2012.

1. Called for invitation on the day after (1st Stage - Structured Interview)
    - waited in a waiting room with 11 other candidates
    - HR checked all cert and copies
    - filled in application form
    - half an hour before my turn, given case study (my title - Reputation Factor)
    - entered interview room
    - one interviewer only

2. After a week, got a call telling i passed 1st stage and invited for 2nd stage (Competency Based Interview)
    - waited in waiting area
    - entered interview room when called
    - 2 interviewers (both senior personnel)

Interview Questions
    • 1. Structured Interview
      - describe a bit about yourself
      - case study - interviewer just asked me to elaborate, give example about the case
      - role play - as plant manager dealing with river pollution next to the plant, interviewer become rep from DOE, rep from Datuk Bandar and environmental activists
    • 2. Competency Based Interview
      -Tell us about your development area?
        Answer Question
    Just be yourself, don't create any situation when required. Don't afraid to ask them to simplify their questions if you don't understand.