Pets at Home Interview Questions

Updated Mar 4, 2015

2.3

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Pets at Home.

Interview

Applied online, got an invite to an assessment session after 3 weeks. If you get through then you work an UNPAID 3 hour shift followed by an interview with the store manager, if you get through that you then get an interview with a regional manager...the whole thing can take 7 weeks! You won't get asked about yourself (we were told we would get to introduce ourselves, but after the iinterviewers introduced themselves this step was skipped) you also won't get asked about your management experience, or even if you like animals! Nothing about your pet experience, or anything relevant to the actual job. They are heavily focused on having fun. Half of the people due to be assessed didn't show up, and none of the interviewing team bothered to pay any attention to the candidates. Two of them spent the whole time chatting at the back of the room.
    Never disagree with anyone in your group....it'll make you seem "difficult" if they run their company like they run their interviews, I've had a lucky escape!

Interview Questions

• Gave us a list of 15 things they think are important to the company, in a group sort them in order of importance.   1 Answer
    • In a group make a bridge out of paper that can support a box.   1 Answer
    • Had a very rushed one on one interview.   1 Answer

Store Colleague Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pets at Home.

Interview

Starts off as a group interview where you will be asked some random varied questions about past experiences related to absolutely anything (Pets, Jobs, Holidays)

Then you are pulled aside for a 1 to 1 interview. Generally talking rates and commitments and just get to know you.

Then if you are successful you are called back for a work trail where you will follow a store colleague around for a few hours and they will review you (This means nothing as it's more if the person likes you or not, e.g. as the worst scoring colleague in the overall thing was given maximum scores from a colleague who knew her, has no real impact from your performance unless you are amazing)

Interview Questions

• This ones tricky its more the one explained in the hiring process, general thing though with this company is to lie to them at first (Within reason) then change later. (e.g. I am willing to work flexible shifts) Just change it shortly after you start and complain about the odd shift   Answer Question

Store Colleague Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sheldon, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Pets at Home (Sheldon, England (UK)) in August 2013.

Interview

Rather long but simple online application form, received an email about 2 weeks later saying I was successful to the next stage which was a group interview at Sheldon. Really enjoyed it, put into groups of 3 and you had to try and sell a random product (look on the back of the product for some easy things as well as your own knowledge on the animals health and needs), was then interviewed individually with a manager, he was great, I was 17 at the time and he said he had a daughter my age who wouldn't have done as well as I was doing, answered questions surrounded customer service mainly and the importance of making sure that customers are well informed on the care of their pets. I was then successful on moving to the next stage a week later where I worked on the tills and cleaned a guinea pig cage, handled stock.

A more formal interview was then given where i chatted to the managers, very friendly and chatty, i felt confident and relaxed in all my answers as I had researched the company and practiced beforehand.
    The manager then told me he doesn't often say this but I would be ideal for the job, however there is a pets at home closer to me who are going to be taking people on, he told me he would arrange for me to meet there manager and I wouldn't have to go through the interview process all over again, based on how well i fit into the team, she could offer me a job.

I was very happy about that but unfortunately, the manager closer to me was not very nice, I had to go through the whole process all over again, taking another 5 weeks for all stages, it was a lot more informal and she got colleagues to give the interviews for her. In the end I did not get the job which I was very upset about as I honestly thought I had a chance due to what the other pets at home had said, and as i had wasted 2 months going through that interview process twice.

Customer Adviser/Shop Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pets at Home.

Interview

Filled in detailed application form, invited a few weeks later to an interview with the shop manager, talking about qualifications, experience with animals and in other shops. Had to handle a guinea pig and rabbit briefly. Called back to another informal interview in which I was asked to work on the shop floor for a period of time, and handle a couple of animals. Assessment of handling animals and following instructions/using initiative assessed.

Interview Questions

• On the shop floor, approached by customers, without any training as of yet, to answer their questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was offered a part time job, and they were flexible with the fact I could only work weekends, and occasional short shifts during holiday periods. No other negotiation was attempted.

Store Colleague Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheffield, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pets at Home (Sheffield, England (UK)) in February 2011.

Interview

Submitted application through the job centre. Was then called into a group interview which involved building a hamster cage and other group activities like telling group about yourself. Then there was a one to one interview at the end. Was then called for a 2 hour trial where I had to clean out animal cages, and work the tills and stock. This then ended with another one to one interview with a senior management member.

Interview Questions

• What would u do if you won the lottery?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiating. Only decision was to accept job or not