Pets at Home

3 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Colleague Interview

Store Colleague

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pets at Home.

Interview Details – Starts off as a group interview where you will be asked some random varied questions about past experiences related to absolutely anything (Pets, Jobs, Holidays)

Then you are pulled aside for a 1 to 1 interview. Generally talking rates and commitments and just get to know you.

Then if you are successful you are called back for a work trail where you will follow a store colleague around for a few hours and they will review you (This means nothing as it's more if the person likes you or not, e.g. as the worst scoring colleague in the overall thing was given maximum scores from a colleague who knew her, has no real impact from your performance unless you are amazing)

Interview Question – This ones tricky its more the one explained in the hiring process, general thing though with this company is to lie to them at first (Within reason) then change later. (e.g. I am willing to work flexible shifts) Just change it shortly after you start and complain about the odd shift   Answer Question

Store Colleague Interview

Store Colleague
Sheffield, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pets at Home in February 2011.

Interview Details – Submitted application through the job centre. Was then called into a group interview which involved building a hamster cage and other group activities like telling group about yourself. Then there was a one to one interview at the end. Was then called for a 2 hour trial where I had to clean out animal cages, and work the tills and stock. This then ended with another one to one interview with a senior management member.

Interview Question – What would u do if you won the lottery?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiating. Only decision was to accept job or not

Customer Adviser/Shop Assistant Interview

Customer Adviser/Shop Assistant

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pets at Home.

Interview Details – Filled in detailed application form, invited a few weeks later to an interview with the shop manager, talking about qualifications, experience with animals and in other shops. Had to handle a guinea pig and rabbit briefly. Called back to another informal interview in which I was asked to work on the shop floor for a period of time, and handle a couple of animals. Assessment of handling animals and following instructions/using initiative assessed.

Interview Question – On the shop floor, approached by customers, without any training as of yet, to answer their questions.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was offered a part time job, and they were flexible with the fact I could only work weekends, and occasional short shifts during holiday periods. No other negotiation was attempted.

Worked for Pets at Home? Contribute to the Community!