Pew Charitable Trusts

Updated Feb 6, 2015

3.1

Administrative Assistant, Pew Center On the States Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in October 2009.

They seemed very excited to meet me. However, when I came in for the interview they advised me that before any 1:1 interviews, i would have to take a grammar test. I went to a top 10 school, and assumed this would be no problem. However, they use DOS operating software that is impossible to figure out in the very short time they allowed. They told me about 80% of applicants fail the exam, and I couldn't retake it until 30 days had passed. They politely thanked me, and sent me away. It was very disheartening - and I didn't go back.

Interview Questions
    • Did not get any questions - only grammar questions that were phrased impossibly.   Answer Question

Pew Leadership Year Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in June 2011.

Initial contact with HR was great; very friendly, helpful and forthcoming. Initial phone interview (more like a "screening", really) with HR was brief (5-10 minutes) and focused on confirming resume/background. Followed up by two long-distance Skype interviews for 2 different positions. Scheduling these interviews was difficult. An assistant claimed to not be receiving all of my emails--just some, although none of them were bounced back to me. After scheduling, being canceled on and rescheduling, the interviews, they eventually happened via Skype with a panel of 2-3 people. These interviews lasted about 45 minutes to an hour and the panels were friendly but definitely formal with typical interview questions about strengths/weaknesses, leadership style, experiences, etc. After the interviews, for one position, I was notified by HR within a week of the interview that I did not receive an offer. For the other position, the notification dragged on for weeks. I had to email/call both HR and one of the interviewers several times after two weeks had gone by to get any information. For over a month I kept getting the line "we're still deciding and you should know by next week." Then after a month, I stopped receiving responses to my emails/phone messages. After eventually accepting another position elsewhere, I gave up trying to contact them to find out about the status of this position. So on the one hand, my interview process for one position was great (despite the fact that I did not receive an offer), but for the other it was very frustrating and unprofessional of them to have never notified me either way after a second interview. I'm assuming it was just an oversight and not the normal way HR is handled at Pew, but it still couldn't help coloring my assessment of their organization.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to work with someone who was difficult to get along with. What made the situation so difficult, and how did you deal with it?   View Answer

Some Sort of Higher Level Administrative Support Job Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in February 2010.

I was sent by a recruiter who told me to practice behavioral based interview questions which I did. I arrived the standard 10 minutes early and waited in the lobby. I was given an editing test and got all but one correct--the one I got incorrect, I knew was ambiguous and I could have answered it if I had been able to ask a follow up question. I felt okay about the test, and was shown to the small office shared by two HR reps. I was seated in this office at a table that was at a diagonal, with my back to a wall and directly underneath a glaring overhead light. The two HR reps seated themselves across from me. I felt as if I was being interrogated, not interviewed. The impression was made that the person to whom I would report was difficult and capricious. I also got the impression that I would not get the job before I even began. It was an extremely unpleasant experience. By the time I left I no longer wanted the position. I am sure there are other find positions in this organization, but I felt that whoever got the job I interviewed for was in for trouble. I hope he or she fared well.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to relay my entire 20 plus work history, start to finish, as the two interviewers stared at me.   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Applied through the online system, as well as enlisted the help of some friends/colleagues that work for the organization. About 6 weeks after submitting, I was contacted for a first interview with the HR representative. Within an hour of finishing that, I was contacted again to set up a second interview with the campaign manager. That was in late November, and I was told that they hoped to make a decision before the holidays. The new year came and went with no word, and around the middle of the month, I contacted the manager to see where they were in in their process, at which point I was told they were still interviewing. In a search for another bit of information on the Pew site about a week later, I came across a new name in the senior associate position on that campaign, but the job was still listed as open until about 2 weeks after that. I never heard anything back from anyone at Pew regarding not being successful, which,considering I was told I was a top candidate as well as a later follow-up, seems inconsiderate and unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • In the first round, they were very insistent on the salary requirements.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

I was invited for an interview at Pew through an agency. The agency had already vetted my skills, and I had taken 4 separate Microsoft Office Suite and spelling/grammar tests. The HR person met me, and was very formal. Not a problem for me....she then insisted I do another grammar and another spelling test. I thought these were merely formalities - I was wrong. When she came back, she graded my grammar test in front of me and was very specific about the 3 mistakes I made. She made me feel like I was in 6th grade again and insisted lots of people get perfect scores. The whole tone of the interview turned decidedly frosty after that, and left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I was not called back - and after reading all the reviews about Pew's culture of intimidation and dysfunctional leadership, that's probably a good thing.
    And strangely enough, this position is now hiring again, just a few years later.

Interview Questions
    • I indicated that I wanted to find a position that was not like the law firms, as I found the atmosphere very rigid and conservative. HR person told me, "Well, Pew is run very much like a law firm".   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in May 2013.

The hiring process had a lot of steps, and I was referred by a current employee. Submit a resume unofficially, then officially, phone interview with HR rep, phone interview with the boss, in person interview with the boss and potential colleagues, another in-person interview with the boss's boss.....then you get hired!

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty standard. Some quite open-ended. Mostly it was just a lengthy process.   Answer Question
    They were pretty clear that there was no negotiation after the first offer. I have no idea if that is actually true, but that is what they told me. I accepted my first offer, though wonder if - in retrospect - I should have gone back.

Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

The interview process with Pew is very thorough. First, I was contacted for a phone interview and then I had an in person interview. After being scheduled for an in person interview, I had to complete a lengthy full application. The in person interview was conducted by two people in the department. I thought the interview went well but I did not receive a call back. I thought it was quite rude that I did not receive a call back after completing a long application ( similar to a government background check) and a one hour interview with multiple people. They could have at least politely declined me. Listen to the other Glassdoor reviewers when they tell you that this company does not appreciate people. The interviewers hinted to a very challenging environment throughout the interview.

Fundraiser Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Very detailed and exhaustive vetting process, multiple meetings with a revolving cast of characters from the in house recruiter to would-be colleagues and managers. Final vetting by head of department, which in hindsight is a total personality test. If that manager did not like you, regardless of qualifications or others' opinions, you were out. Also in hindsight, there is a mismatch between title and daily work and job description and daily work. It's almost a bait and switch.

I was able to negotiate and the salary and benefits were competitive in the marketplace, but it was also clear that people who were hired after a certain date made a significantly higher salary than those hired before. This created a lot of dissatisfaction in the department.

Senior Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

My own experience was lengthy, over several rounds of interviews and weeks. There's clearly very big internal roadblocks to clear in the interview process, and you get a sense that a number of people you never meet have to vet you before you get an offer. Which, if you get to that point, isn't negotiable even by a dollar. Welcome to the rarified world of "paying for the recognition." the offer I received was quite competitive (full disclosure) but they tell you up front that there's no counter-offer or negotiation. A bit unsettling when you hear that, and really, a hint of what the workplace will become.

Interview Questions
    • Defending your years of experience. Someone you never meet calculates your experience based on your resume/cv. Then they tell you, though it may have taken, say 9 years of grad school and work to now be a PhD, they believe you really only have 5.5 years.   Answer Question
    Negotiations were rejected outright.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

You need lots of patience. Phone interview with HR staff --> phone interview with program directors--> "assignment"-->on-site interviews with several staff members -->phone interviews with high-ups.

little room for negotiation