Pew Charitable Trusts

Pew Charitable Trusts Interview Questions

Updated Dec 3, 2014
Updated Dec 3, 2014

Campaign Manager Interview

Preliminary interview on phone was conducted. HR office called in response to application for another position to let me know that that one was already filled, but they did an informal interview to collect information to have on hand for future positions. Appreciated their effort in reaching out to me.

Interview Questions
    • What are your salary requirements? Fairly persistent about that.   View Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

I was brought in to do an interview and skills assessment. The staff was very polite and professional, but not exactly warm. I was given an overview of the company and the assessment and then left to complete it in my own time. Once it was completed, I had another chat where my skills and history were discussed. The interviewer was very helpful, patient and thorough. Next, a Talent Acquisition Manager came to do a follow up. The whole process took two or three hours. The team was very quick about follow up and communicating next steps.

Interview Questions
    • The assessment was a little trickier than I expected. I think that we are all so used to using spell and grammer check that we forget how to to it the old fashioned way. Only a small percentage of people invited to interview pass the assessment so make sure you brush up on your skills.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Fairly easy process

Interview Questions
    • How well do you deal with bureaucracy?   View Answer
    Able to negotiate something at the time but took a pay cut

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Great HR staff, very easy to work with informative, and will talk to you!

No negotiation - it was low, even for a non-profit in DC as well funded as they are

Fellow Interview

Interviewed with multiple teams about multiple fellowship positions. Everyone was cordial but no one went out of their way to make the interviewees feel welcome. There wasn't really a structured set of questions or discussion points for any of the interviewers. I was quickly invited into a conference room for the interview and didn't wait too long for interviewers to come in. The office space is beautiful but a little cold.

Interview Questions
    • The lack of questions was the most off putting thing about the interview.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in March 2010.

The HR team at Pew does a fantastic job matching candidates with a position that will work for them. I really appreciated the tips and advice I received from the HR recruiter. When I made it to the second round of interviews, the interviewers were very candid and personable-- a main reason I decided to take the job when it was offered!

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in February 2010.

Applied online. Went through initial phone screening followed by three rounds of in-person interviews.

HR was very averse to negotiating. Acted like I should be happy just to get the chance to work at Pew. Rigid salary scale. Very unpleasant experience.

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in December 2012.

The hiring manager wanted you to describe your last positions responsibilities, and about yourself.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewing manager asked what type of manager do I like to work for. I explained one that is able to do all of our jobs and us as employees can learn from the manager. Well I guess she did not like the answer because I was not offered!   Answer Question

Research Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in March 2013.

Internal recruiter phone interview, Skype interview with supervisor, in-person interviews with project team

Interview Questions

Very high turnover. No one I interviewed with had been there more than 3 years. Side comments from team during interview gave me pause. CEO is viewed as a control freak and slows work process down.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in July 2011.

Confusing. I came to Pew through a staffing agency and was promised a certain salary if I signed on full time after 6 weeks. I interviewed with a Deputy Director for less than one hour and was hired as a contractor less than 7 days later and went through almost no onboarding. I chased a full time offer for 6 months before a job position was created for me. They expected me to do a lot financially impactful work as a contractor and did not ask me to sign any privacy agreements. The offer came back $7,000 less than my minimum ask.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with difficult management?   View Answer
    Nonexistent. Regardless of previous for-profit experience in a very well-known company, they decided none of it could be applicable and said if I didn't take the offer, they would find someone else.