Pew Charitable Trusts

21 candidate interviews

Senior Associate Interview

Senior Associate
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview Details – You need lots of patience. Phone interview with HR staff --> phone interview with program directors--> "assignment"-->on-site interviews with several staff members -->phone interviews with high-ups.

Negotiation Details – little room for negotiation

Senior Associate Interview

Senior Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview Details – My own experience was lengthy, over several rounds of interviews and weeks. There's clearly very big internal roadblocks to clear in the interview process, and you get a sense that a number of people you never meet have to vet you before you get an offer. Which, if you get to that point, isn't negotiable even by a dollar. Welcome to the rarified world of "paying for the recognition." the offer I received was quite competitive (full disclosure) but they tell you up front that there's no counter-offer or negotiation. A bit unsettling when you hear that, and really, a hint of what the workplace will become.

Interview Question – Defending your years of experience. Someone you never meet calculates your experience based on your resume/cv. Then they tell you, though it may have taken, say 9 years of grad school and work to now be a PhD, they believe you really only have 5.5 years.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiations were rejected outright.

Associate Interview

Associate
Washington, DC

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in July 2011.

Interview Details – Confusing. I came to Pew through a staffing agency and was promised a certain salary if I signed on full time after 6 weeks. I interviewed with a Deputy Director for less than one hour and was hired as a contractor less than 7 days later and went through almost no onboarding. I chased a full time offer for 6 months before a job position was created for me. They expected me to do a lot financially impactful work as a contractor and did not ask me to sign any privacy agreements. The offer came back $7,000 less than my minimum ask.

Interview Question – How do you deal with difficult management?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Nonexistent. Regardless of previous for-profit experience in a very well-known company, they decided none of it could be applicable and said if I didn't take the offer, they would find someone else.

Manager Interview

Manager
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in May 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process had a lot of steps, and I was referred by a current employee. Submit a resume unofficially, then officially, phone interview with HR rep, phone interview with the boss, in person interview with the boss and potential colleagues, another in-person interview with the boss's boss.....then you get hired!

Interview Question – The questions were pretty standard. Some quite open-ended. Mostly it was just a lengthy process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They were pretty clear that there was no negotiation after the first offer. I have no idea if that is actually true, but that is what they told me. I accepted my first offer, though wonder if - in retrospect - I should have gone back.

Associate Interview

Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview Details – Great HR staff, very easy to work with informative, and will talk to you!

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - it was low, even for a non-profit in DC as well funded as they are

Research Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in March 2013.

Interview Details – Internal recruiter phone interview, Skype interview with supervisor, in-person interviews with project team

Interview Question – None of the questions were hard or unexpected.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Very high turnover. No one I interviewed with had been there more than 3 years. Side comments from team during interview gave me pause. CEO is viewed as a control freak and slows work process down.

Manager Interview

Manager

Interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts

Interview Details – Fairly easy process

Interview Question – How well do you deal with bureaucracy?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Able to negotiate something at the time but took a pay cut

Executive Office Interview

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in May 2013.

Interview Details – I received an email from one of the recruiters asking to schedule a phone interview. We scheduled a mutually convenient time for the following day. I spent 30 minutes or so with the recruiter. We both agreed that we should continue to talk, and scheduled a follow up call the next day. After the follow up call, I was invited in to meet with the recruiter as well as the senior recruiter. The meetings with both were very courteous, professional, and open. I was able to ask lots of questions about the position and the organization. After the interview, the recruiter gave me great feedback. We stayed in touch via phone and email for the next couple of weeks.

Interview Question – I felt that all of the questions that were asked of me were fair. I did not feel that they were overly difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Washington, DC

I applied online and interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview Details – I was brought in to do an interview and skills assessment. The staff was very polite and professional, but not exactly warm. I was given an overview of the company and the assessment and then left to complete it in my own time. Once it was completed, I had another chat where my skills and history were discussed. The interviewer was very helpful, patient and thorough. Next, a Talent Acquisition Manager came to do a follow up. The whole process took two or three hours. The team was very quick about follow up and communicating next steps.

Interview Question – The assessment was a little trickier than I expected. I think that we are all so used to using spell and grammer check that we forget how to to it the old fashioned way. Only a small percentage of people invited to interview pass the assessment so make sure you brush up on your skills.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Executive Assistant

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview Details – I was invited for an interview at Pew through an agency. The agency had already vetted my skills, and I had taken 4 separate Microsoft Office Suite and spelling/grammar tests. The HR person met me, and was very formal. Not a problem for me....she then insisted I do another grammar and another spelling test. I thought these were merely formalities - I was wrong. When she came back, she graded my grammar test in front of me and was very specific about the 3 mistakes I made. She made me feel like I was in 6th grade again and insisted lots of people get perfect scores. The whole tone of the interview turned decidedly frosty after that, and left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I was not called back - and after reading all the reviews about Pew's culture of intimidation and dysfunctional leadership, that's probably a good thing.
And strangely enough, this position is now hiring again, just a few years later.

Interview Question – I indicated that I wanted to find a position that was not like the law firms, as I found the atmosphere very rigid and conservative. HR person told me, "Well, Pew is run very much like a law firm".   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Pew Charitable Trusts

Worked for Pew Charitable Trusts? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pew Charitable Trusts interview questions and advice. All 21 interview reviews posted anonymously by Pew Charitable Trusts employees and interview candidates.