Pew Charitable Trusts Interview Questions

Updated Feb 6, 2015
Updated Feb 6, 2015

3.1

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Great HR staff, very easy to work with informative, and will talk to you!

No negotiation - it was low, even for a non-profit in DC as well funded as they are

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in May 2013.

The hiring process had a lot of steps, and I was referred by a current employee. Submit a resume unofficially, then officially, phone interview with HR rep, phone interview with the boss, in person interview with the boss and potential colleagues, another in-person interview with the boss's boss.....then you get hired!

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty standard. Some quite open-ended. Mostly it was just a lengthy process.   Answer Question
    They were pretty clear that there was no negotiation after the first offer. I have no idea if that is actually true, but that is what they told me. I accepted my first offer, though wonder if - in retrospect - I should have gone back.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

I was brought in to do an interview and skills assessment. The staff was very polite and professional, but not exactly warm. I was given an overview of the company and the assessment and then left to complete it in my own time. Once it was completed, I had another chat where my skills and history were discussed. The interviewer was very helpful, patient and thorough. Next, a Talent Acquisition Manager came to do a follow up. The whole process took two or three hours. The team was very quick about follow up and communicating next steps.

Interview Questions
    • The assessment was a little trickier than I expected. I think that we are all so used to using spell and grammer check that we forget how to to it the old fashioned way. Only a small percentage of people invited to interview pass the assessment so make sure you brush up on your skills.   Answer Question

Executive Office Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in May 2013.

I received an email from one of the recruiters asking to schedule a phone interview. We scheduled a mutually convenient time for the following day. I spent 30 minutes or so with the recruiter. We both agreed that we should continue to talk, and scheduled a follow up call the next day. After the follow up call, I was invited in to meet with the recruiter as well as the senior recruiter. The meetings with both were very courteous, professional, and open. I was able to ask lots of questions about the position and the organization. After the interview, the recruiter gave me great feedback. We stayed in touch via phone and email for the next couple of weeks.

Interview Questions
    • I felt that all of the questions that were asked of me were fair. I did not feel that they were overly difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

I was invited for an interview at Pew through an agency. The agency had already vetted my skills, and I had taken 4 separate Microsoft Office Suite and spelling/grammar tests. The HR person met me, and was very formal. Not a problem for me....she then insisted I do another grammar and another spelling test. I thought these were merely formalities - I was wrong. When she came back, she graded my grammar test in front of me and was very specific about the 3 mistakes I made. She made me feel like I was in 6th grade again and insisted lots of people get perfect scores. The whole tone of the interview turned decidedly frosty after that, and left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I was not called back - and after reading all the reviews about Pew's culture of intimidation and dysfunctional leadership, that's probably a good thing.
    And strangely enough, this position is now hiring again, just a few years later.

Interview Questions
    • I indicated that I wanted to find a position that was not like the law firms, as I found the atmosphere very rigid and conservative. HR person told me, "Well, Pew is run very much like a law firm".   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Applied through the online system, as well as enlisted the help of some friends/colleagues that work for the organization. About 6 weeks after submitting, I was contacted for a first interview with the HR representative. Within an hour of finishing that, I was contacted again to set up a second interview with the campaign manager. That was in late November, and I was told that they hoped to make a decision before the holidays. The new year came and went with no word, and around the middle of the month, I contacted the manager to see where they were in in their process, at which point I was told they were still interviewing. In a search for another bit of information on the Pew site about a week later, I came across a new name in the senior associate position on that campaign, but the job was still listed as open until about 2 weeks after that. I never heard anything back from anyone at Pew regarding not being successful, which,considering I was told I was a top candidate as well as a later follow-up, seems inconsiderate and unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • In the first round, they were very insistent on the salary requirements.   Answer Question

Research Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in March 2013.

Internal recruiter phone interview, Skype interview with supervisor, in-person interviews with project team

Interview Questions

Very high turnover. No one I interviewed with had been there more than 3 years. Side comments from team during interview gave me pause. CEO is viewed as a control freak and slows work process down.

Campaign Manager Interview

Preliminary interview on phone was conducted. HR office called in response to application for another position to let me know that that one was already filled, but they did an informal interview to collect information to have on hand for future positions. Appreciated their effort in reaching out to me.

Interview Questions
    • What are your salary requirements? Fairly persistent about that.   View Answer

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in December 2012.

The hiring manager wanted you to describe your last positions responsibilities, and about yourself.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewing manager asked what type of manager do I like to work for. I explained one that is able to do all of our jobs and us as employees can learn from the manager. Well I guess she did not like the answer because I was not offered!   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in July 2011.

Confusing. I came to Pew through a staffing agency and was promised a certain salary if I signed on full time after 6 weeks. I interviewed with a Deputy Director for less than one hour and was hired as a contractor less than 7 days later and went through almost no onboarding. I chased a full time offer for 6 months before a job position was created for me. They expected me to do a lot financially impactful work as a contractor and did not ask me to sign any privacy agreements. The offer came back $7,000 less than my minimum ask.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with difficult management?   View Answer
    Nonexistent. Regardless of previous for-profit experience in a very well-known company, they decided none of it could be applicable and said if I didn't take the offer, they would find someone else.