Pew Charitable Trusts

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview Details – You need lots of patience. Phone interview with HR staff --> phone interview with program directors--> "assignment"-->on-site interviews with several staff members -->phone interviews with high-ups.

Negotiation Details – little room for negotiation

Senior Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview Details – My own experience was lengthy, over several rounds of interviews and weeks. There's clearly very big internal roadblocks to clear in the interview process, and you get a sense that a number of people you never meet have to vet you before you get an offer. Which, if you get to that point, isn't negotiable even by a dollar. Welcome to the rarified world of "paying for the recognition." the offer I received was quite competitive (full disclosure) but they tell you up front that there's no counter-offer or negotiation. A bit unsettling when you hear that, and really, a hint of what the workplace will become.

Interview Question – Defending your years of experience. Someone you never meet calculates your experience based on your resume/cv. Then they tell you, though it may have taken, say 9 years of grad school and work to now be a PhD, they believe you really only have 5.5 years.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiations were rejected outright.

Senior Associate

I applied online and the process took 4+ months - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview Details – Applied through the online system, as well as enlisted the help of some friends/colleagues that work for the organization. About 6 weeks after submitting, I was contacted for a first interview with the HR representative. Within an hour of finishing that, I was contacted again to set up a second interview with the campaign manager. That was in late November, and I was told that they hoped to make a decision before the holidays. The new year came and went with no word, and around the middle of the month, I contacted the manager to see where they were in in their process, at which point I was told they were still interviewing. In a search for another bit of information on the Pew site about a week later, I came across a new name in the senior associate position on that campaign, but the job was still listed as open until about 2 weeks after that. I never heard anything back from anyone at Pew regarding not being successful, which,considering I was told I was a top candidate as well as a later follow-up, seems inconsiderate and unprofessional.

Interview Question – In the first round, they were very insistent on the salary requirements.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in February 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online. Went through initial phone screening followed by three rounds of in-person interviews.

Negotiation Details – HR was very averse to negotiating. Acted like I should be happy just to get the chance to work at Pew. Rigid salary scale. Very unpleasant experience.

Senior Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in October 2010.

Interview Details – There was two phone interviews (one with a recruiter and the other with the hiring manager). Next there was an in-person interview with the hiring manager and the director supervisor. The third interview was with members of the team and the fourth was with people within the organization with similar job titles and responsibilities.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in working at Pew?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Pew Charitable Trusts

Worked for Pew Charitable Trusts? Contribute to the Community!