Pew Charitable Trusts Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Jun 18, 2014
Updated Jun 18, 2014

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in March 2014.

I applied through the Pew website and was contacted within a few days. I did an HR phone screening, panel interview (surprised me as I was told it would be 1-on-1), phone interview, then about two months of waiting for a decision, with intermittent email exchanges with the hiring manager. I got the impression that employees operate under a lot of red tape and answer to a long chain of command. The most enjoyable part of the process was the panel interview; all the people I interviewed with seemed to be genuinely nice and helpful.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions caught me off guard. It was mostly a casual conversation about my experience and resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Phase 1, HR phone interview. I asked a lot of detailed questions about the organization and the position, and the recruiter was unable to answer most of them. She replied with answers piecemeal over the next few days.
    Phase 2, 1:1 interview with my to-be supervisor. Standard interview fare. Unremarkable in every way
    Phase 3, I returned for THREE more 1:1 interviews, each an hour in length. It was exhausting and repetitive.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were particularly difficult, but interviewing with 5 different people was unexpected and tedious   Answer Question
    They claim that all offers are based on "internal equity" and are non-negotiable. The offer I received seemed fair, so I didn't push it

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

You need lots of patience. Phone interview with HR staff --> phone interview with program directors--> "assignment"-->on-site interviews with several staff members -->phone interviews with high-ups.

little room for negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a day - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in July 2011.

Confusing. I came to Pew through a staffing agency and was promised a certain salary if I signed on full time after 6 weeks. I interviewed with a Deputy Director for less than one hour and was hired as a contractor less than 7 days later and went through almost no onboarding. I chased a full time offer for 6 months before a job position was created for me. They expected me to do a lot financially impactful work as a contractor and did not ask me to sign any privacy agreements. The offer came back $7,000 less than my minimum ask.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with difficult management?   View Answer
    Nonexistent. Regardless of previous for-profit experience in a very well-known company, they decided none of it could be applicable and said if I didn't take the offer, they would find someone else.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in May 2013.

The hiring process had a lot of steps, and I was referred by a current employee. Submit a resume unofficially, then officially, phone interview with HR rep, phone interview with the boss, in person interview with the boss and potential colleagues, another in-person interview with the boss's boss.....then you get hired!

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty standard. Some quite open-ended. Mostly it was just a lengthy process.   Answer Question
    They were pretty clear that there was no negotiation after the first offer. I have no idea if that is actually true, but that is what they told me. I accepted my first offer, though wonder if - in retrospect - I should have gone back.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

I was brought in to do an interview and skills assessment. The staff was very polite and professional, but not exactly warm. I was given an overview of the company and the assessment and then left to complete it in my own time. Once it was completed, I had another chat where my skills and history were discussed. The interviewer was very helpful, patient and thorough. Next, a Talent Acquisition Manager came to do a follow up. The whole process took two or three hours. The team was very quick about follow up and communicating next steps.

Interview Questions
    • The assessment was a little trickier than I expected. I think that we are all so used to using spell and grammer check that we forget how to to it the old fashioned way. Only a small percentage of people invited to interview pass the assessment so make sure you brush up on your skills.   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in December 2012.

The hiring manager wanted you to describe your last positions responsibilities, and about yourself.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewing manager asked what type of manager do I like to work for. I explained one that is able to do all of our jobs and us as employees can learn from the manager. Well I guess she did not like the answer because I was not offered!   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in February 2010.

Applied online. Went through initial phone screening followed by three rounds of in-person interviews.

HR was very averse to negotiating. Acted like I should be happy just to get the chance to work at Pew. Rigid salary scale. Very unpleasant experience.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in December 2008.

The recruiter that worked with me did not know much about the substance of the work that I would be doing (research), making it very difficult for me to make the case for my qualifications. She treated me with skepticism, emphasizing that people with my skill sets are easy to come by, and I should consider myself lucky to be considered for a position. I eventually took the job in spite of my experience with HR. After I started work, I found out that most of my colleagues felt the same way. Later still, when I served as hiring manager for many positions within my group, I found that HR was an obstacle to the recruitment process.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time in your current or previous position that you played a role on a project in which you thought you really excelled, either because it made great use of your strengths or because you were especially proud of your contributions.   Answer Question
    • What is the culture like in your current position? What do you like most about it? Least about it?   Answer Question
    Pew does not negotiate. For each position, they have calculated salary "bands" that define the upper and lower limits for new hires. Years of experience - but not education - and most recently salary are factored into the offer.

Pew Leadership Year Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in June 2011.

Initial contact with HR was great; very friendly, helpful and forthcoming. Initial phone interview (more like a "screening", really) with HR was brief (5-10 minutes) and focused on confirming resume/background. Followed up by two long-distance Skype interviews for 2 different positions. Scheduling these interviews was difficult. An assistant claimed to not be receiving all of my emails--just some, although none of them were bounced back to me. After scheduling, being canceled on and rescheduling, the interviews, they eventually happened via Skype with a panel of 2-3 people. These interviews lasted about 45 minutes to an hour and the panels were friendly but definitely formal with typical interview questions about strengths/weaknesses, leadership style, experiences, etc. After the interviews, for one position, I was notified by HR within a week of the interview that I did not receive an offer. For the other position, the notification dragged on for weeks. I had to email/call both HR and one of the interviewers several times after two weeks had gone by to get any information. For over a month I kept getting the line "we're still deciding and you should know by next week." Then after a month, I stopped receiving responses to my emails/phone messages. After eventually accepting another position elsewhere, I gave up trying to contact them to find out about the status of this position. So on the one hand, my interview process for one position was great (despite the fact that I did not receive an offer), but for the other it was very frustrating and unprofessional of them to have never notified me either way after a second interview. I'm assuming it was just an oversight and not the normal way HR is handled at Pew, but it still couldn't help coloring my assessment of their organization.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to work with someone who was difficult to get along with. What made the situation so difficult, and how did you deal with it?   View Answer

Worked for Pew Charitable Trusts? Contribute to the Community!