Pfizer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 24, 2015

Field Medical Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Pfizer in April 2014.

Interview

In April 2014 I applied to a position posted by Pfizer, Oncology Field Medical Director. Two months after applying online, I received an email from the hiring manager's assistant that he was interested in an interview. Two weeks later I had a 30 minute phone interview with the hiring manager. This interview consisted of questions that would determine if I had the basic requirements to meet the demands of the job. For example, he asked about my therapeutic expertise, my experience communicating with various audiences, my clinical trial knowledge. He also informed me that they had over 200 applicants and he would be spending the next week on the 1st round of 30 minute phone interviews. And, would get back to me for the 2nd round. A month later I received an email to call the hiring manager's assistant to schedule interviews for the 2nd round. The second round would be 45 minute telepresence interviews, phone calls, with 6 different interviewers. My interviews started at 8am and with short breaks in between lasting until 11:00am. I interviewed with my hiring manager who is responsible for the West Coast, his East Coast counterpart, someone from Oncology Communications, Oncology Marketing, a current Field Medical Director, and a Headquarters Medical personnel. These interview questions were 90% behavioral. They gave me different scenarios and asked how I responded in the past. It was during these interviews that I tried to communicate a clear story and to paint a picture of who I was. The questions were similiar to, "Have you been in a situation where you were blamed for a negative consequence that was not your fault? How did you respond, and how did you treat the person that accused you?" "How do you respond when you are to lead a group and the group members are questioning your competency?" I also had 1 interviewer ask if I knew about any new promising oncology drugs by Pfizer. And, I did research on Pfizer and read the CEO's latest announcement and I knew what he thought was exciting in his annual report. I was able to speak about the most exciting drugs as stated by the CEO. After that round, 1 month later I was invited to interview with the Oncology Engagement Director. She is over the managers of the Field Medical Directors. This was a 30 minute interview and very matter of fact. She was quick with her questions and wanted information on my industry experience, if any, and why I wanted the position and what were my goals for the position and future. A few weeks later, HR contacted me with an offer. And, the jumping for joy began. The entire process took 5 months.

Interview Questions

• One interviewer ask if I knew about any new promising oncology drugs by Pfizer and the clinical trial results.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I accepted the offer given.

R&D Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pfizer.

Interview

Pfizer hires intern/ student part-timer thru contracting agency even if one apply there directly. As an intern, my supervisor and the entire team was very nice and patient in getting me up to speed. I learn a lot and am very grateful for the experience.

R & D Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pfizer.

Interview

the process wasn't too bad. 30 minute interview just talking about my background. know your research experience and everything on your resume related to that pretty well. it honestly depends on who is interviewing to decide what level of knowledge you need to have. just be yourself and show interest and excitement regardless of what you know already.

Interview Questions

• nothing really, you should know what's coming if you know your background well enough and what about it is most relevant to the job description.   Answer Question

Project Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pfizer (New York, NY).

Interview

Through recruiter, had one phone interview and one on-site interview

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No much negotiation.

Medical Writer Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Collegeville, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pfizer (Collegeville, PA) in March 2014.

Interview

Three people on the conference call, supposed to be lasting for 30 min and going over the job reqs, respon, etc. There was hardly any time to get a clear picture of what they are looking for. They do want to recruit someone not to do writing, but to manage CRO writers from outside.

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pfizer (San Jose, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

Phone screen, group interview. STAR questions.

Interview Questions

• What would your peers say or how would they describe you after training?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pfizer.

Interview

I interviewed a total of three times before being offered the job. First, there was a telephone interview. Then, an interview with an Administrative Assistant, and finally, an interview with the hiring manager. When I was hired I had to take a physical on the Pfizer campus and take an assessment test at a nearby employment agency. It was quite a detailed process but well worth it.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It was a smooth negotiation process.

Director Interview

Interview

The interview process was very detailed. It started with multiple phone interviews, then an on-site visit with both individual and group interviews and a presentation. The process was very formal from the questions asked to the forms that the interviewers had to fill out.

Interview Questions

• The questions were more specific than anything I have ever been asked at any interview. At first I thought this was a sign of a very thoughtful process, but later it became a bit ridiculous. Some of the questions had absolutely nothing to do with anything I would do on the job, yet I was asked those questions anyway. If that is a tactic to get people to answer "off the wall questions" then fine. However, it makes me suspect that some of the HR formalities are completely out of touch with what is needed for the position. Some interviewers seemed desperate to fill in their worksheets.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pfizer.

Interview

Applied online. Phone interview about 1.5 months later followed by a 1:1 with DM the next week. References, background check, driving history etc. a couple of weeks later together with field ride. Notification that a candidate had been chosen a couple of weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Standard STAR based questions. Nothing unusual or unexpected. Research the company and why you want to work for Pfizer and why they should hire you.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Pfizer (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Used the classic STAR interview method:Situation, Action, Result....

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a manager you worked for that you did not get along with?   Answer Question

Negotiation

N/A