Phase2 Technology

Relevance Date Difficulty

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources
Alexandria, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Phase2 Technology in May 2011.

Interview Details – I had a panel interview with the Phase2 management team as well as a phone interview. The team was very accommodating of my schedule and were able to meet with me after hours. The interview was a little tough, but that is expected during any interview to ensure you have the right person for the job.

Interview Question – How I would handle a difficult situation to ensure getting the best results.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pleasant, accommodating of an already planned vacation and start date

PM Interview

PM
Alexandria, VA

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Phase2 Technology in December 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was very long and drawn out over a period of 3 months.

Reason for Declining – They had my salary expectations in advance, however, after a long interview process over 3 months, they lowballed the offer and did not want to negotiate. This was very suprising especially after such a long investment of time from both sides.

Very Difficult Interview

Web Solutions Analyst Interview

Web Solutions Analyst
Alexandria, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Phase2 Technology in November 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted by Phase2 for a Web Solutions Analyst position. After a first positive discussion with the HR manager, I progressed to a one-hour telephone interview with a senior analyst. After that interview, I was asked to block out a 2-hour window for back-to-back Skype interviews approximately 2 weeks later. Which I did, however, the Skype portion of the interview failed on their end. Post those two interviews, Phase2 flew me in "to meet the team" two weeks after the last interview session.

What "meet the team" consisted of was a series of interviews/panels which started with a "Solutions Challenge" where you are instructed to design a web site after a brief question and answer session complete with wireframes. This was a rough session facing a three person panel, with already established ideas about their application development space. I was not informed that there would be a two hour interrogation after walking off the airplane and getting to their office. This was followed by a normal interview session with two new folks, and then a last session with a senior manager. All told, it was about 4.5 hours of non-stop interviewing.

I was, and still am, very impressed by the people of Phase2 - from their enthusiasm, their clients, and on-going work. I was not impressed by:
 - The unprofessionalism of the "Solutions Challenge"
 - Lack of follow-up even if they weren't interested
 - The amount of time I invested in the process for a no-go decision

As a senior professional, I am/was taken aback by the last interview scenario. I have interviewed many prospective candidates, and if there was to be any test of any sort, I informed them up front. I was also more interested in talking to past employers/clients about experience and perception rather than trials-by-fire.

The culture of Phase2 resembles a moderate .dotcom environment - youth, energy, cool working space.

Interview Question – The Solutions Challenge - a scenario were you will be asked to conduct a Q&A requirements gathering session, and then wireframe a solution.   View Answer

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Phase2 Technology in February 2012.

Interview Details – Interviewing process was very unusual considering the position. Recruiter emailed me questions one at a time before setting-up a phone screen. The phone screen consisted principally of naming every free beverage they offered, noting their pingpong table and Nerf launchers, and basically how hip they were. As a fresh college grad, that might be appealing to some, but at a management level in one's career, free sodas are not in the least a selling-point.

It was very clear that they do one kind of work (web projects), they are looking for people who do that exact work, and who want to continue to do that exact type work. Not a place for those looking to expand their career.

Interview Question – Have you managed web projects?   Answer Question

Worked for Phase2 Technology? Contribute to the Community!