PhaseSpace Motion Capture

Interviews for Top Jobs at PhaseSpace Motion Capture

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Leandro, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Leandro, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at PhaseSpace Motion Capture in November 2010.

I responded to an ad for a developer on Craigslist. I got a phone call from a very polite lady who asked me if I was still interested and what drew me to the company. She was satisfied with my answer, and set me up for an interview with one of the developers.
    The office was in a large building in the middle of a shopping center. It was difficult to find the correct building to go into, but I did. I did not know which door to enter Phase Space on, and I asked a man walking out. He politely introduced himself as one of the video engineers and steered me in the right direction.
    The lady who I spoke with on the phone was at the reception desk, and greeted me warmly. She pointed me to a room to wait in.
    The interview itself did not go well for me. The guy interviewing asked me some networking questions and data structures questions. I was not familiar with either. I got flustered when he asked me to make a linked list on the dry erase board. I futily attempted, and stumbled with the correct syntax. He said bluntly something to the effect "I don't care about syntax. I want the way to make it." All in all, I could not do it. He bluntly said "I think we're looking for someone with more experience." I put the marker down, realizing my fate, and politely said ok. Apparently I did not get it, because the interviewer continued to talk and said "As in this won't work out." (Uhhh. thanks). I made a point to shake his hand and thank him for his time and left.
    I thought the way the interviewer spoke to me was rude and condescending. However, I was also flustered and probably more sensitive to the issue than I should have been. (I was crashing and burning). Every other interaction in the company was extremely professional and well received.
    In summary, I think both parties' time would have been saved by a more in depth phone screen.

A week later, I received an email from the company stating that I was not selected for further consideration. (lol, ya think?)

Advice: Know network programming basics. Know the basics of data structures (not just how to use them, but how to build them). Be prepared to interface with some Type A personalities, maybe?

Interview Questions

Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at PhaseSpace Motion Capture in February 2010.

The interview was conducted by a technical guy who started off with questions about past projects. Then I was asked to write a C program to interface with a camera sensor to acquire an image. This was not difficult. But then I was asked to optimize my program. This, I couldn't do satisfactorily. So no replies from them yet.

Interview Questions
    • Optimize a Verilog program to acquire a frame from a camera sensor   Answer Question