Phenomenex Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jun 1, 2014
10 interviews

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Phenomenex.

I found the job through an outside recruiter. I was connected with the HR manager and had an initial phone screening. Very tough, and not super professional HR lady, but I was able to make it to an onsite interview. Was told there would be one person interviewing me, but actually had multiple panel interviews. Also tough, but have lots of questions because that is where they lighten up.

Interview Questions
    • 3 weaknesses (was obviously ready for biggest weakness, but3?!)   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Technical Sales Consultant Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Phenomenex.

I was contacted by a HR specialist by email asking if we could conduct a phone interview. About two or three days later, the HR specialist sent me an email to ask for the availability to process a skype interview with hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you choose sales job? What's the differences of this job compared with the job you did before?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Phenomenex.

Very tight screening for sales and marketing positions.

Interview Questions
    • Consolidate this data and give me your 80/20 analysis. you have 5 minutes.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Phenomenex in September 2011.

Great process, three interviews, one phone.

Quick, I was offered what i asked for

Technical Sales Consultant Interview

Interview consisted of a series of interview with various DMs each lasting about 30 min to an hour. Can be grueling, but the decision to hire or not hire is made rather quickly. The questions that I was asked were basic questions such as tell me your about your strengths and weaknesses, etc.

Did not negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Phenomenex in July 2013.

Interview was situation based and conversational. There were different types of personalities for the interviewers -- some nice, some aggressive, some challenging. It is important to stay true to yourself and answer honestly. Also, understand what it means to be in sales, expectations, and why you want to do sales. Did not need to know much laboratory/science.

Interview Questions
    • What did you learn about yourself during career so far, How would you prepare yourself differently for the interview.   Answer Question
    No sign on bonuses for sales. I did not negotiate.

Technical Sales Consultant Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Phenomenex.

First had a phone interview with woman from HR, then she scheduled me for an in-person interview. She gave me one name I would be meeting with, but I actually met with four managers. All very nice, asked questions about sales position, experience, and background--pretty standard.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think your weakness will be in this position?   Answer Question

Gas Chromatography Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Phenomenex.

Interview process was long. Consisted of interview with HR manager, 2 senior Sales Representatives, 3 managers, and the President of Sales. Good 20-30 minutes with each. Some came two at a time.

Once hired , there is 3 months of training and studying all things SPE, HPLC, and GC and the chemistry behind it. There are series of lectures and exams which you have to pass with a 75% and higher to even get through training to start on the floor.

Interview Questions
    • Just basic questions about how much your know about Chemistry.   Answer Question
    Not able to negotitate, package was set to sign in front of me.

Production Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Torrance, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Phenomenex in September 2012.

Was first phone interviewed by a company recruiter, then the hiring manager by phone. During the phone interview, the hiring manager asked me to come in for an interview. I met with the hiring manager, then interviewed with a panel of four other managers, in addition to the hiring manager. Based on the format of the panel interview, it appeared the panel was designed to put the candidate on the defensive, and to see how they responded.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked two or three times if I had discrete manufacturing experience by the same person. Not a difficult question, but they appeared to doubt my answer.   View Answer

Project Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Phenomenex.

Phone interview first. Two face-to-face interviews. Each time with a panel of 4 people. They asked very technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • They asked some technical questions about an instrument that I never laid my hands on.   Answer Question

Worked for Phenomenex? Contribute to the Community!