Philip Morris International Interview Questions in Switzerland

3.1

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Staff Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Neuchâtel (Switzerland)

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Philip Morris International in September 2014.

- Applied online with the standard application package (CV, cover letter, certificates)
    - Received a first phone call 1 month later to schedule a phone interview with a recruiter
    - Had a standard phone interview with a recruiter 1 day after
    - Was invited for the one-on-one interview 2 days later
    - Got the job offer 2 days later, which I accepted

The delay between the application submission and the first phone call can be attributed to the summer holidays. Otherwise, the process was smooth, organised, and very professional. The job they offered me was a 6-month contract with the possibility to be extended based upon my performance. I had a very good feeling with the recruiting staffs and the company looked great. The working conditions they can offer are outstanding and it was a no-brainer for me when they gave me the job.

Although I was prepared, the pace at which the recruiting process happened after one month of silence surprised me a little, so I was somehow caught off-guard. It was however a very good test for me, which I apparently passed as they gave me the job. My advice is therefore to be ready and alert because this employer is very reactive when there is a need!

Interview Questions
    • I did not have to answer very technical questions during the interviews, but rather standard motivation, CV, and behavioural questions in order to drill deeper into the reasons why I applied and if I would fit there. The technical part would then be learned on the job with the team of experienced professionals. My advice is then to stick to what you are without playing any role. Should this be the right opportunity for you, you would feel it right away!   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation whatsoever, but the overall package they offered me was really good. Hence, I accepted without thinking for very long.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lausanne (Switzerland)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Philip Morris International in May 2012.

First telephonic interview then face 2 face in Lausanne. Process took about 2 months. Very good relationships with interviewer since the beginning gave me the chance to ask questions more than receiving them.

Interview Questions
    • Question from HR about a difficult situation I faced and how I sorted out.   View Answer
    Pretty straightforward since I was coming from abroad.

Manager Interview

Based Competencies interview

Simple

Human Resources Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lausanne (Switzerland)

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Philip Morris International in February 2013.

Applied online, was contacted after a month by shared services center who proposed a different position. A bit of confusion initially as I interviewed for that position but then was asked if I would be interested in yet a third type of role. Phone interview with hiring manager and on site interview with different managers

Interview Questions
    • Not really difficult, but it's clear they wanted to explore around implementing and managing change in the organization   Answer Question

Supply Chain Executive Interview

Three or Four differente phases
    First - Human Resourse
    Then Manager from the Department
    Final Interview - Managers or Director

Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lausanne (Switzerland)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Philip Morris International in October 2009.

Found a job offer on their website, sent my resume and CV over their internet platform. A couple of days later, a lady from Poland called to have a phone interview in English. She asked standard questions about my experiences. After that, I had an interview with the Marketing Director locally... also here, standard questions, why I would be the best person for the job, strength and weaknesses... etc.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had a challenge and how you solved it   Answer Question
    no negociation needed, Philip Morris has very competitive salaries and they offered more than I asked for.

Senior Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Neuchâtel (Switzerland)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Philip Morris International in November 2012.

Applied through a UK agent who was not proactive and not helpful which lead me to alwasy see this as a slim chance.

Application made in September. First interview face to face for an our in Nuechatel in November. Second interview in Nuechatel was late November and based around a 15 minute presentation on an old project or educational task of mine.

An answer was made through the agent in good time but no detailed answer.

Interview Questions
    • What do you believe a day in the office here entails?   View Answer
    • What do you believe makes a senior engineer.   View Answer

Trainee In Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lausanne (Switzerland)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Philip Morris International in March 2012.

After applying for the trainee in finance graduate program I got invited to take online numerical and inductive reasoning tests, which were pretty straightforward. Then I got invited for a video interview, in which I had limited time to answer some basic questions like: what is your motivation to apply for the position and how you see yourself in 5 years. After that I got invited to a phone interview, which lasted about an hour. In the first part we talked about my resume, and in the second part there were some situational judgment test type of question : if you got a pressing assignment from your direct supervisor and, suddenly you were given another pressing assignment from your direct supervisor what would you do?; then there was one concerning dealing with conflicting tasks, and question about working with the executives and how would you handle it. Next step would be an assessment center in Lausanne, but somehow their recruitment process got bogged down and I didn't receive a concrete answer up to this date though I was kindly asked to wait a bit longer so I am hoping I'll get in.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if working on an urgent assignment from your direct supervisor you were given another pressing task from one of the executives?   Answer Question
    • How would you deal with conflicting assignments?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lausanne (Switzerland)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Philip Morris International in September 2011.

The process was long, starting from recruiter contact to HR manager screening to 1:1 interview with VP of Marketing. But the direct contacts with people in the company were great experiences. People are unassuming and very easy to get along. This is a strong recommendation for people with marketing passion. The company has numerous resources and willing to take care of your interview logistics.

Interview Questions
    • Have you been successful in influencing anyone?   View Answer

Plant Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Neuchâtel (Switzerland)

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Philip Morris International in March 2009.

Within 2 weeks of the application closing date, I received confirmation that I would be accepted for the first round of telephone interviews.
    The first telephone interview (2 weeks after acceptance) was 30 minutes long and was with a human resources specialist. The conversation focused on me talking about my background, teamworking skills, examples of when I used creative thinking to overcome a problem etc...
    The second telephone interview (4 weeks after acceptance) was 60 mins long and was with a recruitment specialist and senior scientist. In this interview they were more interested in my scientific understanding and how i could use my skills and knowledge in the job being offered.

One week later I was offered the opportunity to visit their site in Neuchatel, Switzerland for a second round interview. All travel expenses were reimbursed but not accomodation.
    The interview consisted of a 30 minute presentation on a scientific topic of my choice followed by 30 minutes of questions from a panel of 10 scientists. After this there was a 1 hour panel interview (5 people) that focused on the same subjects as the telephone conversations.

My first impression is that they were very firendly and welcoming. I was quite nervous about doing the presentation but the session was very informal with people asking questions throughout. There was a constant emphasis on team working - a little bit too much in my opinion.

I was told that feedback would be given within 2 weeks of the interview but this did not happen. I have contacted them subsequently but to no avail. This for me was a big let down considering the number of weeks the application ran over.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of when you used creative thinking to overcome a problem?   View Answer

Worked for Philip Morris International? Contribute to the Community!