Phillips de Pury & Company

Updated Mar 17, 2015
Updated Mar 17, 2015

2.6

General Accountant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Phillips de Pury & Company (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview was very informative. They were very clear about what the company's goals are and what the position entails. They asked a lot of questions in regard to my current position to get a feel of whether or not I'd be a good fit for this open position within their company.

Interview Questions

• What is your strength in terms of your favorite thing to do at your current job and why?   Answer Question

Client Services Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Phillips de Pury & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

Overall positive interview process and very run-of-the-mill. I met with the head of Client Services and Global Head of Management. Generally standard interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult situation interacting with a client.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation; hourly rate was set.

Viewing Assistant for Upcoming Jewelry Auction Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Phillips de Pury & Company (New York, NY) in November 2012.

Interview

Posting for Job Opening was on the GIA Job Board Site, for alumni only, a Special Professional Website.

Emails to apply were sent with my Cover Letter and CV. A call back was received for an in person interview.

The first interviewer was an assistant, and this interviewer had no training, no GIA certification and no formal certificates in jewelry, and no experinec eor knowledge of other past similar auctions, obviously her job was a gift. The department manager was a GIA Graduate Gemologist but had poor knowledge of the types of things being auctioned and no facts on recent similar auctions, could not ask good questions or hold up the conversation, showing a lack of interest in her work.

Its a clearing house, not a museum, so knowledge is not particulary sought.

It was clear they were hoping for someone younger to stand around the glallery.. They mentioned four times that the job required being on one's feet during most of the shift. They mentioned this in a way that implied youth was required. She was too short sighted to realize that many middle aged people are in excellent physical condition, as am I. As are mnay athletes and others who take care of their health They asked no questions about my3
     knowledge of jewelry, gems, precious metals or selling techniques, and nothing about client work, or pertinent information about the auction. It was a simple minded and unfocused process, and the only criteria was a young age and standing up at length in the viewing areas. Thye showed a casual passing knowledge of their auction inventory as they could not answer my questions at all. Thye were intimidated by my credentials which exceeded thiers.

This is not a good place to apply for a job if you are smart and over 35, as you will be insulted, the interviewer making the assumption that only the very young are capable. I am obviously strong, medium in size, height and weight proportional, and look and am very healthy. Even if you are like me, well educated with a degree in art history and fine art, extensive experience in auction work, private selling and buying for clients, attractive, well dressed, smartly styled, articulate, polished and professional in every way possible, you will lose at this ridiculous game of ageism. I have all these positive qualities, but it was not good enough for Phillips and the dilettantes on their jewelry staff of uninitiated people who must have been hired as a favor to someone.

It was very disappointing as I am an art, jewelry and auction specialist with many great clients who buy often, and would have been an exceptional asset to the company, and could have represented them strongly in Palm Beach during the winter. But I was shoved off as I was not the 28 year old intern they were looking for. Experience and education means nothing here. You must have a friend in the company to get a job or be young and uneducated so as to not compete with the existing staff for their jobs.

My advice, make your resume look very unexciting, and do not show any signs of intelligence or knowledge or you will not be cosidered in a place like Phllips de Pury., and also be very young....VERY young, no experience or knolege is needed here.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions. Interviewers were not knowledgeable about their auction inventory, and were rather disorganized. They were incapable of asking an intelligent or difficult question. The hardest question was, will you have any diffiuclty standing on the viewing floor during your shift?   1 Answer

Accountant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Phillips de Pury & Company (New York, NY) in January 2008.

Interview

I came for 1on1 interview for 30 min max and landed a job

Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Phillips de Pury & Company in July 2010.

Interview

The interview process was a pleasure; the interviewers are very candid about their expectations and ask pointed questions to ensure candidates have the right impression of the position. The follow-up responses are timely and all communications are clear.