Philz Coffee Interview Questions

Updated Jul 15, 2015

Interviews for Top Jobs at Philz Coffee

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Philz Coffee (Cupertino, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I filled out an online application, recorded and submitted a video of why I want to work there, had a 20 minute phone interview, came in for a 30min in person interview with two store leads, then had another in person 30 minute interview with the recruiting manager. I was told they would contact me within 48 hours and they never did.

Interview Questions

• If you were a cup of coffee what three words would describe you?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at Philz and not somewhere else?   Answer Question

Barista Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Philz Coffee.

Interview

I applied to Philz using their online application form; the form is pretty basic but thorough: availability, experience, why would the applicant like to work for Philz, etc. Less than a week later I received an email from a woman with Philz hoping to set up an interview. As I was employed full time, I only had a very slim window of time available to schedule this interview and asked her if the end of the week, early morning was good. The response I received let me know that it was a phone interview and so I offered a different time and different day to have the interview. I didn't hear back from the Philz representative for almost a week. I assumed my negotiating the time and day had put me firmly in the "not hiring" list and moved on to the next venture. Lo and behold, on the day and at the time I suggested we do the phone interview- I received a phone call from the Philz rep wondering if it was a good time to chat. I had half a mind to tell her no due to her inability to effectively communicate with prospective employees. You are interviewing a company just as much as they are interviewing you during these things and this initial dropping of the ball really left a bad taste in my mouth. I had the phone interview anyway. Pretty standard questions about why I was leaving my current employer, what I saw in my future and how Philz fit into it, etc. Was a rather unremarkable interview overall.

Interview Questions

• Why are you leaving your current employer to pursue work with Philz?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Philz Coffee (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online, was called to set up an appointment. Met with the manager for a 1:1 interview, was called back to meet with a second manager and a manager in training. A lot of the questions overlapped and it was more like a chat than a formal interview. Lots of basic "how do you fit into a team, describe how you've exhibited excellent customer service" type questions. Very informal, dress as you would normally. Coffee was provided, and it was excellent. A few days after the second interview I was contacted informing me that they would not be continuing with me. No hard feelings, as a more academically minded person I didn't really mesh with the Philz team from what I could tell (note that this is not a shot at Philz, I'm just better suited elsewhere).

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite animal, and why?   1 Answer

Barista Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Philz Coffee.

Interview

I applied online. The application was fairly straight forward. They ask 3 questions that they want you to answer to help them understand who you are. I decided to make it an exercise in writing and made it personal. Was contacted with an initial phone interview by someone in H.R.

Digital Brand Ambassador Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Philz Coffee (San Francisco, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

I had a couple phone interviews, then had three in person interviews. One with who would be my direct boss, one with the HR manager and my direct boss, and one with my direct boss and the CEO. Each step had a project I needed to complete to provide free work to the company. The CEO never bothered to show up for the final interview.

Interview Questions

• What do you need to be successful at this job   1 Answer

Barista Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Philz Coffee.

Interview

Phone Screen and 2 interviews

Interview Questions

• Explain how you turned a bad customer service experience around.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Philz Coffee (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

Classic customer service/food and hospitality interview. "What do you consider excellent customer service to be?", "Describe a time you were impressed by customer service." etc.

Interview Questions

• What do you consider to be excellent customer service in a coffeeshop environment?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations. Pay is set at $9.25/hour. Benefits kick in at 3 month mark.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Philz Coffee (San Francisco, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

I applied to the company online through their Criagslist posting and after reviewing their webpage. From what I was reading, the place was perfect for me. After applying, I didn't recieve a phone call for a few weeks as they were opening a new store and intended on hiring many people. After setting my meeting date, I waited, then interviewed. Upon interviewing, I made it a point to really figure out what the company was about. They were all about customer service, to the extreme. Our saying is "one cup at a time" and our goal is to better people's day. Later in training, they extremely emphasized the second one. Upon entering the original Philz Coffee location in the Mission, I was a little overwhelmed. The original location is constantly filled (or philled, if you may) with people, and the walls are covered with paintings and plants to the point that there isn't much original wall left. I loved it, but was glad to know I'd be working in a much more calm location. The intervew, however, was much more laid back then 'd ever imagined. I, and two hiring managers sat down, drank coffee, and just talk for a while. Sure, some of the questions involved the comany and why I wanted to work for them, but most of it was about me. My first interview went wonderful, regardless of a complication involving public transportation, and I was signed up for a second interview. The second interview went twice as well, and was once again very personal, but was spent with one woman (the district manager), and involved more questions about the company than myself. However, when we got to talking the interview atmosphere disappeared and once again it felt like I was chatting with a friend. After waiting for weeks wondering if I'd gotten the job, they called me and I gidily took the offer. Advice I could offer would be to really know what the company is about; learn both the past and the future of the company. Also, don't be afraid to ask the interviewers questions as well. Upon being asked if I had any further questions, I simply asked, "What do you like about working for the company?" It really showed that I was interested in not only acquiring a job, but acquiring one I enjoy. All of the baristas are extremely talkative and offer as much advice to the customers as they are willing to take, so don't be afraid to be funny during the interview.

Interview Questions

• Was there a time during your last job that you really felt you had helped someone with customer service?   1 Answer