Philz Coffee Interview Questions

Updated Feb 18, 2015

3.2

Interviews for Top Jobs at Philz Coffee

Barista Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Philz Coffee.

I applied online. The application was fairly straight forward. They ask 3 questions that they want you to answer to help them understand who you are. I decided to make it an exercise in writing and made it personal. Was contacted with an initial phone interview by someone in H.R.

Digital Brand Ambassador Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Philz Coffee in June 2014.

I had a couple phone interviews, then had three in person interviews. One with who would be my direct boss, one with the HR manager and my direct boss, and one with my direct boss and the CEO. Each step had a project I needed to complete to provide free work to the company. The CEO never bothered to show up for the final interview.

Interview Questions
    • What do you need to be successful at this job   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Philz Coffee in June 2014.

Lamest interview I've encountered. First I got told I'd get a call scheduled during the afternoon. I waited at the scheduled time and never got the call until I sent an email a few hours later. Then I was told to come to Santa Monica for the *actual* interview. I felt positive and didn't mind the long commute. Traveled for two hours on the bus and when I got there the doors were closed. I had to wait for another candidate to leave. Never was it mentioned to me that I would be interviewed by not one, but three people. At first it seemed relaxed but then each of them started asking questions which made me feel small. Did I mention there was construction going on with loud noise? They asked me about my former job (which was my worst nightmare) and why I left. I felt good about the interview until they asked about Philz Coffee. I don't think they understood that it was possible to get familiar with Philz Coffee over time since it felt like they expected me to know the company inside out. Few days later I got a call and was told I didn't the job. Extremely disappointed.

Interview Questions
    • Something about why I left my recent job.   View Answer

Barista Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Philz Coffee.

Phone Screen and 2 interviews

Interview Questions
    • Explain how you turned a bad customer service experience around.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Philz Coffee in February 2012.

Classic customer service/food and hospitality interview. "What do you consider excellent customer service to be?", "Describe a time you were impressed by customer service." etc.

Interview Questions
    • What do you consider to be excellent customer service in a coffeeshop environment?   View Answer
    No negotiations. Pay is set at $9.25/hour. Benefits kick in at 3 month mark.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Philz Coffee in February 2012.

I applied to the company online through their Criagslist posting and after reviewing their webpage. From what I was reading, the place was perfect for me. After applying, I didn't recieve a phone call for a few weeks as they were opening a new store and intended on hiring many people. After setting my meeting date, I waited, then interviewed. Upon interviewing, I made it a point to really figure out what the company was about. They were all about customer service, to the extreme. Our saying is "one cup at a time" and our goal is to better people's day. Later in training, they extremely emphasized the second one. Upon entering the original Philz Coffee location in the Mission, I was a little overwhelmed. The original location is constantly filled (or philled, if you may) with people, and the walls are covered with paintings and plants to the point that there isn't much original wall left. I loved it, but was glad to know I'd be working in a much more calm location. The intervew, however, was much more laid back then 'd ever imagined. I, and two hiring managers sat down, drank coffee, and just talk for a while. Sure, some of the questions involved the comany and why I wanted to work for them, but most of it was about me. My first interview went wonderful, regardless of a complication involving public transportation, and I was signed up for a second interview. The second interview went twice as well, and was once again very personal, but was spent with one woman (the district manager), and involved more questions about the company than myself. However, when we got to talking the interview atmosphere disappeared and once again it felt like I was chatting with a friend. After waiting for weeks wondering if I'd gotten the job, they called me and I gidily took the offer.

Advice I could offer would be to really know what the company is about; learn both the past and the future of the company. Also, don't be afraid to ask the interviewers questions as well. Upon being asked if I had any further questions, I simply asked, "What do you like about working for the company?" It really showed that I was interested in not only acquiring a job, but acquiring one I enjoy. All of the baristas are extremely talkative and offer as much advice to the customers as they are willing to take, so don't be afraid to be funny during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Was there a time during your last job that you really felt you had helped someone with customer service?   View Answer