Phoenix House Interview Questions

2.4

Nurse-LPN Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Phoenix House in November 2014.

After e-mailing my resume I was contacted for an interview. I was nervous (as anyone would be before an interview) but I was immediately put at ease when I entered the facility. Everyone was so warm and welcoming, I even got told by an employee before meeting with the person I was interviewing with "Oh, Your a nurse, good we need nurses!" Which immediately made me smile.

- The person that I interviewed with was very nice, understanding and easing going. I have a passion for working with people who suffer from substance abuse as well as psych issues, so sometimes it didn't even "feel" like an interview, but more like just chatting with someone who shares the same caring nature toward these individuals. Of course I was asked a few "traditional" interview questions (it was an interview after all.) I also had to have a valid N.Y state nursing license, as well as the other qualifications they were looking for (if you are applying for a nursing position at this facility, you should already be aware of these qualifications.) Also, it helps if you've had previous psyche experience and/or had worked with patients suffering from substance abuse before.

- This is a position that requires tons of compassion, understanding, and patience. It's not for nurses "just looking to get a paycheck." These are human beings that need understanding and someone who is willing to put the time and effort in with them.

Interview Questions
    • I think that, due to the fact the working with this company was something I've been wanting to do since nursing school, there weren't any "unexpected" questions per se. I was already knowledgeable about the company , because I had "done my research" beforehand.

- I should mention that the overall hiring process requires patience. It took about a week to hear back to see if I even got the position. I officially formally accepted the job offer, and I'm truly excited about it. I'm just still waiting to hear back about the final paperwork,(and results from my fingerprinting/drug screen etc.) Which seems to be about a 2 week wait, and then hopefully, I'll hear my official start date...but as they say "Good things come to those who wait." So my best advice is to have patience, I was grateful that they at least called me to formally offer me the position, so I wasn't on "pins and needles" anymore.

EDIT: I'm now starting to understand what the other nurse who posted was saying. I managed to go through the drug test, fingerprint check etc. I even had my physical and the PPD, (which cost me 2 copays) and I STILL have yet to receive an actual start date from them. Although they are very nice to me. I have a friend that works here (different state though) but I'm going to ask them what's up.

View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Phoenix House.

Very smooth, computer test was only draw back slightly unclear with little guidance. The management and staff were very welcoming. The energy is immediately high energy, prove that you have the people skills to be in the field. Do not be lazy, stay engaged, and go out of your way to learn and you will get the most from this opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself and this company in 5 years.   View Answer

--- Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Phoenix House.

Email HR with cover letter and resume. The hiring manager contacts applicants if interested. Testing includes computer skills, and for clinical positions, psychological testing. Must pass criminal background checks and a drug test. More than one person may interview applicants.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work in the substance abuse treatment field?   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

RN Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Phoenix House.

It was a very easy and fast process. There was a lot of talk about how there would be no raises as it was a non profit organizationa and the job should be taken for the betterment of the community not for monetary reasons.

Supervisor Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Phoenix House.

Great attention to detail.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if....(speaking of potential harassment)   Answer Question

Administrative Aid Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Phoenix House in February 2014.

Was easy and submitted the proper paperwork there was a lot to get done with the new hire paperwork to start the position and the process is tedious

Interview Questions
    • training was a complete joke they never gave me a chance to succeed here and fired me after 2 days of employment really unprofessional   Answer Question
    none it was given to me

Counselor Intern Interview

Two phone interviews
    two visits
    the staff were very pleasant

Substance Abuse Counselor Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Phoenix House in November 2012.

I was hired during my internship due to a position vacancy because of medical reasons.

Interview Questions
    • I never had a formal interview and was approached during my internship.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase.

Program Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Phoenix House in August 2011.

I started out as an intern and was hired as a counselor immediately after graduation. The Program Director position became available and the company approached me about the position.

Interview Questions
    • What was a challenging time in your life and how did you get through it?   View Answer
    I was already employed with the company there was no negotiations. I was happy with the salary offered.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northeast, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northeast, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Phoenix House in January 2010.

Phone Call 1+ months after initial submission of resume
    Group Interview with individuals from different departments
    Interview with VP
    On line psych tests
    Background check
    Drug Screen
    References were checked
    Offer was made and accepted after wage negotiation