Phoenix Public Library

Phoenix Public Library Interview Questions

2.7

Interviews for Top Jobs at Phoenix Public Library

Library Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Phoenix Public Library.

Submitted resume and cover online, received confirmation right away, but no further updates until 1-2 months later. Invited to interview over email, scheduled over phone. It was a panel interview 5 people, a sheet with 5 questions typed out was given to me and then each asked one. After answering them had a back-forth q&a very casual and informative. Had a second follow-up interview with manager not at the panel. Left that interview because the schedule wouldn't work for me (had a second job at the time). Changed my mind called back a day later and sent email. They called me back offered me the job again, I accepted and started a few weeks later. The building was amazing and the interview room, definitely casual less business environment.

Children's Library Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Phoenix Public Library in January 2010.

I was very inspired by the job description: working with kids, presenting workshops, visiting schools - all for children of the 5 and under set. I wrote a killer resume and cover letter (in my opinion) and was promptly called in for an interview. The person on the phone - head of the system's children & youth departments - was very friendly and appeared excited with my interest in interviewing. Having 3 children of my own, ages 5 and under, I thought I was a shoe-in.

Then came the interview. Suddenly things were different. Very stiff. Very formal. I sat in a small waiting area with one other candidate, plus an office secretary/assistant. No one spoke. Once called, I entered the room and was greeted by a panel 6. The dept. head was not present. I was presented with the usual round of library interview questions - google the phrase "librarian interview questions" - and left feeling FAIRLY confident that the interview had been a success. I was, however, somewhat unsettled by the lack of...friendliness (?)...in the atmosphere. To be fair, that's rarely the vibe presented at any job interviews.

I returned to my usual day to day activities, eagerly anticipating "THE" call. There was little doubt in my mind that the job was mine (BTW, there were about 6 positions.) I waited, and waited, and nothing happened. After a couple of weeks went by, I emailed the dept. head that had been so friendly the other week, on the phone. She quickly replied with a generic email that basically stated that they went with someone else. Fair enough. I just wish someone had let me know earlier. A mass generic email would have sufficed.

I'm not bitter, really. I think I have a bruised ego more than anything. Overall experience on a scale of 1 to 5: 4.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you would be the perfect person for this position?   View Answer

Circulation Attendant Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Phoenix Public Library in January 2008.

filled in an initial application form after seeing job advertised at the branch, then came in for a group interview. All candidates are asked the same questions, questions asked about my previous job and why I want to work in the library. There were 3 interviewers ..very pleasant. A week later I was hired, the position is part time with no benefits, I was able to continue working at my other position, until another position opened up in the system

Interview Questions
    • Having given us your strengths, what are your weaknesses that we would need to know,   Answer Question
    there is no negotiation, salary is fixed