Phoenix Public Library

3 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Library Assistant Interview

Library Assistant

I applied online and interviewed at Phoenix Public Library.

Interview Details – Submitted resume and cover online, received confirmation right away, but no further updates until 1-2 months later. Invited to interview over email, scheduled over phone. It was a panel interview 5 people, a sheet with 5 questions typed out was given to me and then each asked one. After answering them had a back-forth q&a very casual and informative. Had a second follow-up interview with manager not at the panel. Left that interview because the schedule wouldn't work for me (had a second job at the time). Changed my mind called back a day later and sent email. They called me back offered me the job again, I accepted and started a few weeks later. The building was amazing and the interview room, definitely casual less business environment.

Interview Question – How to explain computer functions in Spanish?   Answer Question

Children's Library Assistant Interview

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Phoenix Public Library in January 2010.

Interview Details – I was very inspired by the job description: working with kids, presenting workshops, visiting schools - all for children of the 5 and under set. I wrote a killer resume and cover letter (in my opinion) and was promptly called in for an interview. The person on the phone - head of the system's children & youth departments - was very friendly and appeared excited with my interest in interviewing. Having 3 children of my own, ages 5 and under, I thought I was a shoe-in.

Then came the interview. Suddenly things were different. Very stiff. Very formal. I sat in a small waiting area with one other candidate, plus an office secretary/assistant. No one spoke. Once called, I entered the room and was greeted by a panel 6. The dept. head was not present. I was presented with the usual round of library interview questions - google the phrase "librarian interview questions" - and left feeling FAIRLY confident that the interview had been a success. I was, however, somewhat unsettled by the lack of...friendliness (?)...in the atmosphere. To be fair, that's rarely the vibe presented at any job interviews.

I returned to my usual day to day activities, eagerly anticipating "THE" call. There was little doubt in my mind that the job was mine (BTW, there were about 6 positions.) I waited, and waited, and nothing happened. After a couple of weeks went by, I emailed the dept. head that had been so friendly the other week, on the phone. She quickly replied with a generic email that basically stated that they went with someone else. Fair enough. I just wish someone had let me know earlier. A mass generic email would have sufficed.

I'm not bitter, really. I think I have a bruised ego more than anything. Overall experience on a scale of 1 to 5: 4.

Interview Question – Why do you think you would be the perfect person for this position?   View Answer

Circulation Attendant Interview

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Phoenix Public Library in January 2008.

Interview Details – filled in an initial application form after seeing job advertised at the branch, then came in for a group interview. All candidates are asked the same questions, questions asked about my previous job and why I want to work in the library. There were 3 interviewers ..very pleasant. A week later I was hired, the position is part time with no benefits, I was able to continue working at my other position, until another position opened up in the system

Interview Question – Having given us your strengths, what are your weaknesses that we would need to know,   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there is no negotiation, salary is fixed

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Phoenix Public Library? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Phoenix Public Library interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Phoenix Public Library employees and interview candidates.