Photon Infotech Interview Questions

Updated Mar 12, 2015

2.9

PM Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Photon Infotech.

Interview

I had 4 rounds of interview. 2 Phone Screen and 2 Skype. The Interview took 8 weeks. This opportunity was through a staffing agency.

Fresher Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Photon Infotech (Chicago, IL) in August 2014.

Interview

I submitted my information to an ad that they had listed on my school's employment site and I didn't hear back for the position I applied to. However, they called me unexpectedly a few months later saying that they were interested in me for a new program. The interview process consisted of three video-chat interviews with engineers from across the company.

The first interviewer asked some basic logic questions, like Fermi problems.

The second interviewer asked more logic questions, and some more in-depth programming questions, including stuff about object-oriented programming.

The third interviewer asked about my experience with programming, including my work style and approaches to learning.

There were a few issues with the first few interviews (at one point, I hadn't heard from my contact in the company in over a week, after which he said that he 'forgot' and set up my third interview). However, the worst part was yet to come.

Shortly after my third interview, my contact told me that I had great feedback, and that I would get an offer by the end of the week.

The next *month* was filled with broken promises about deadlines for offers, with excuses ranging from not being able to contact certain people because they were in a different timezone (apparently no one in this company has used email) to an absurdly Kafkaesque approval process. I admit that I should have seen the signs at this point; however, my contact constantly gave me promises for an offer that he would break with astounding sycophancy, so I kept up hope.

Finally, almost exactly a month after I was promised my first offer, I was informed that the company had made some decisions that meant that my offer would be contingent on some changes that I could not accept. At no point during this entire two month process was I informed that this was a possibility.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between abstraction and encapsulation?   1 Answer

After almost an entire month of promising me an offer, they completely changed the terms of the offer to the extent that I could not accept it.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Photon Infotech.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews. Both rounds are very easy. First round is technical interview, they will very low level basic questions. If you are good with your basics.you can easily get through.

Software Engineer (Java) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Photon Infotech (Minneapolis, MN) in February 2014.

Interview

Got a call through a referral from an employee. The recruiter called me and set up a phone interview at a time of my convenience.

I never got the info on who the interviewer would be - so I did not get a chance to find out information about the person via linkedIn or other social n/ws. I do this so I know the background of the person interviewing me - this helps me to be better prepared.

Nevertheless, I was expecting the phone interview to be based on my experience, core CS fundamentals and some coding or problem solving (like most first phone interviews are).

I got the call at the scheduled time and the person speaking to me had a terrible English accent (he was definitely not a native english speaker - this made communication difficult). He only gave me his name and didn't really seem keen on introducing himself or the team he was a part of. It seemed like he was not really interested in interviewing me (he seemed to be fulfilling some obligation, than actually evaluate my skills)

What made it worse was - the shocking surprise I received when the interview questions were not at all about core CS fundamentals or problem solving. There was no coding involved. I was asked academic questions for which answers would be available through a Google search or in text-books.

Here are a few that I remember -
    1. Explain the steps to configure HTTP on Apache Tomcat
    2. List the various protocols used in SOAP
    3. Explain how to write a basic SOAP HttpRequest
    4. What are the various capabilities of Spring Framework?
    5. What is the difference between ArrayList and Vector?
    6. List the procedure to debug a deadlock in Java

I was taken aback by most of these questions. I could only provide answers based on my experience in using the technologies to all these questions except for the ArrayList vs Vector question (which also was from experience, but I felt I knew it well).

Yes, I know all these questions have answers in textbooks and the internet. But, these are not questions you expect in a technical phone interview (at least not the first round).

I never got a feedback from either the interviewer or the recruiter. Like, I said above, the guy seemed least interested in interviewing me. After about 45 minutes, he suddenly asked me if I had any questions for him - I asked him what team he was a part of and what would the next steps be - and he didn't really seem interested in answering as all he said was "I'm a software engineer here and the recruiter will let you know if you are selected".

All the best to anyone else who interviews with this company - I hope others get a better interviewer - who provides decent feedback.

Interview Questions

• All questions were unexpected - none were difficult - all answers are available in textbooks or through an internet search.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Actually I didn't apply to this position in anyway but I got a phone call from this company and they requested an interview with me.

First interesting thing was they don't have formal technical HR people for interviewing, so they have to ask random software developers to do the interviews. And those non-tech HR people (I mean the people who invite you to interviews) have no idea when those developers will be free to interview people. So I was re-scheduled no less than *TEN* times with reasons ranging from "Mr. x is too busy with his project " to "Mr. y will have to be in a meeting.", etc.

Second interesting thing was when the interview finally happened which was three months after the first invitation call was made. The "interviewer" came with no notes and pens or anything..

It's been almost two months and I still have not heard anything from them. Maybe they never know there was a person that came for an interview on that day.

Interview Questions

• How to use DFS to search for an element in a BST. (I found this question mysterious.)   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Photon Infotech.

Interview

The representative I initially spoke to was very friendly, personable, and professional, with the exception of not providing me with any information about the position in advance, despite my request for a job description when they reached out to me. There was some confusion between their staff in scheduling the interview, and things seemed a bit disorganized throughout the actual interview process; I think they may have been going for casual, but it was a little off-putting. The management was knowledgeable, personable, and expressed how dedicated they all are, working long hours daily, giving up any external interests, etc. and making sure I understood this before agreeing to continue the process.

I ended up declining a second interview, as I was not able to make the level of commitment required, and did not feel that I would be a good fit with their team.

Interview Questions

• They did not ask any unexpected questions, however, they did put me on the spot asking what sort of app I would develop for a client and asked me to produce some wire-frames and a presentation; I think this is actually a good practice to see how well a candidate will perform.   Answer Question

Business Development Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Photon Infotech (Chennai (India)) in February 2015.

Interview

Well, wonderful Experience. Two rounds i faced. A week before and another round next week. The Manage who took first round. Nice person he just shared about company prospects in a good manner. Nice conversation we had. Even final round person who i met who take met to the next level in my path. He dint select me over the phone and gave me an another option to come for the round again. I prepared myself thoroughly and faced again after couple of days he convienced at last i'm in ..

Interview Questions

• They expect me to share their organization prospectus.   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Photon Infotech in January 2015.

Interview

The HR person communicated well and scheduled interview according to a mutually convenient time. HR was very professional in communicating and co-ordinating the BlueJeans (Videoconference) Session. My interview was with a Manager who gets the resume 2 minutes before and does not bother to go through it. He was sitting on his laptop without a proper mike. When I mentioned to him that I was facing difficulty hearing his voice, he mentioned I cannot do anything about that. I was with high-quality mike and speaker phones and that person did not have courtesy to ensure that he had proper way of communicating. I tried to get the lip movement and repeated any question that I was not able to hear just to clarify. That probably got him angry. After a few questions, he asked me what position are they trying to recruit you. Come on. You are interviewing someone and you ask this kind of question. No ownership or responsibility. Then he tries to flip through my 2-page resume and tells me I dont think you are fit for Project Manager. You should try for project lead. Trust me I have managed quite complex projects and this person has not asked me any question regarding project management to test me or any question regarding my previous experience and gives this comment. At that point, I felt he was simply not interested in interviewing or hiring me and was wasting my time. Then he tried asking standard project management questions which I answered. He gave one counterquestion which I felt I answered correctly (verified later online and the answers were correct). His facial expression were such that he couldnt deny that the answers were right but was just not interested due to reasons best known only to him. Then he mentions HR will contact you further. I got the answer there itself and when I thanked him for his time. No courtesy to even say bye or thanks for your time. He just kept staring at the screen. I was clueless as I was expecting a response back bidding goodbye. After 30 seconds, I switched the BlueJeans session of. HR politely emailed me that I was not selected and when I asked for feedback there was no response.

Guys, believe me I would not invest so much time writing this out if I had any other intention than to inform you of the pathetic face of the management (middle-management atleast) that I have come to know. Please understand that even a half an hour of your life is too important to waste interacting with this company. Even if I am not employed, I would never ever considering working with this company again. To provide due credit to the HR team, the representative was extremely polite and helpful, even though she did not provide the interviewer feedback which might be due to company policy. So, with all due respect to the HR, do not bother interviewing here.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume.
      Walk me through your interships.
      Why should we hire you.
      What would be your action if you find that 40% of project is pending and you have 3 weeks within which your project cannot be completed?
      But one of the options you mentioned about checking if resources can be increased would increase the project cost?

Answer Question

Fresher QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Photon Infotech (Chennai (India)).

Interview

1. Java written test 2. Technical Round 3. Managerial Round. All rounds are elimination round. Written test include Multiple choice and programming questions. Programming questions where easy Duration for the test was one hour.

Interview Questions

• You need to clear written test, after that both the rounds are easy they asked only basic questions and description of your project.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Photon Infotech (Bangalore (India)) in September 2014.

Interview

I attended interview got rejected it first round only; the organizer told me immediately about negative feed back. It was good even though I felt bad about rejection. The person who was taking interview doesn't had any expertise knowledge in iOS. The strange thing is he directly asking architecture of the my previous app without asking anything about the app what it does.

After one week I got call again saying you can come for another round of interviews if still interested.
    There were four round of interview.
    1st round - nice person; went fine related to iOS discussion.
    2nd round - went average; lady look slightly arrogant looks like she was asking questions by searching in internet.
    3rd round - very formal round with program manager about my previous role; and software development methodologies.
    4th round - with project delivery manger; looked very arrogant gave unnecessary suggestion; pretending like everything he knows. Salary negotiation part he was rude and bad behave does not had any courtesy for thanking me for attending the interview; directly told me to leave the office now. Very bad behaviour god save him.

Interview Questions

• -iOS8 new features.
      -Continuous integration and agile development.
      -Design patterns.

Answer Question