Photon Infotech Interview Questions

Updated Jun 25, 2015

2.8

Creative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Photon Infotech.

Interview

I thought the interview was straight forward. The interviewer wanted to understand my previous work environment and the process then proceeded to walk through my previous work. They wanted to understand my thought process behind how I came to these designs.

Interview Questions

• What was my process like at my previous work and what was my role.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Photon Infotech (Dallas, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

the recruiter contacted me, then set up for an initial interview with an engineer in california.
    The next interview is scheduled with a technical architect in Dallas. The second interview is likely to be technical.

Interview Questions

• regular questions about my experience, whether I am capable of working with different teams located in different timezones. The next interview is scheduled with an architect in dallas who is likely to ask 'spatial' questions to test my abilities.   Answer Question

PM Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Photon Infotech.

Interview

I had 4 rounds of interview. 2 Phone Screen and 2 Skype. The Interview took 8 weeks. This opportunity was through a staffing agency.

Fresher Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Photon Infotech (Chicago, IL) in August 2014.

Interview

I submitted my information to an ad that they had listed on my school's employment site and I didn't hear back for the position I applied to. However, they called me unexpectedly a few months later saying that they were interested in me for a new program. The interview process consisted of three video-chat interviews with engineers from across the company.

The first interviewer asked some basic logic questions, like Fermi problems.

The second interviewer asked more logic questions, and some more in-depth programming questions, including stuff about object-oriented programming.

The third interviewer asked about my experience with programming, including my work style and approaches to learning.

There were a few issues with the first few interviews (at one point, I hadn't heard from my contact in the company in over a week, after which he said that he 'forgot' and set up my third interview). However, the worst part was yet to come.

Shortly after my third interview, my contact told me that I had great feedback, and that I would get an offer by the end of the week.

The next *month* was filled with broken promises about deadlines for offers, with excuses ranging from not being able to contact certain people because they were in a different timezone (apparently no one in this company has used email) to an absurdly Kafkaesque approval process. I admit that I should have seen the signs at this point; however, my contact constantly gave me promises for an offer that he would break with astounding sycophancy, so I kept up hope.

Finally, almost exactly a month after I was promised my first offer, I was informed that the company had made some decisions that meant that my offer would be contingent on some changes that I could not accept. At no point during this entire two month process was I informed that this was a possibility.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between abstraction and encapsulation?   1 Answer

After almost an entire month of promising me an offer, they completely changed the terms of the offer to the extent that I could not accept it.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Photon Infotech.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews. Both rounds are very easy. First round is technical interview, they will very low level basic questions. If you are good with your basics.you can easily get through.

Software Engineer (Java) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Photon Infotech (Minneapolis, MN) in February 2014.

Interview

Got a call through a referral from an employee. The recruiter called me and set up a phone interview at a time of my convenience.

I never got the info on who the interviewer would be - so I did not get a chance to find out information about the person via linkedIn or other social n/ws. I do this so I know the background of the person interviewing me - this helps me to be better prepared.

Nevertheless, I was expecting the phone interview to be based on my experience, core CS fundamentals and some coding or problem solving (like most first phone interviews are).

I got the call at the scheduled time and the person speaking to me had a terrible English accent (he was definitely not a native english speaker - this made communication difficult). He only gave me his name and didn't really seem keen on introducing himself or the team he was a part of. It seemed like he was not really interested in interviewing me (he seemed to be fulfilling some obligation, than actually evaluate my skills)

What made it worse was - the shocking surprise I received when the interview questions were not at all about core CS fundamentals or problem solving. There was no coding involved. I was asked academic questions for which answers would be available through a Google search or in text-books.

Here are a few that I remember -
    1. Explain the steps to configure HTTP on Apache Tomcat
    2. List the various protocols used in SOAP
    3. Explain how to write a basic SOAP HttpRequest
    4. What are the various capabilities of Spring Framework?
    5. What is the difference between ArrayList and Vector?
    6. List the procedure to debug a deadlock in Java

I was taken aback by most of these questions. I could only provide answers based on my experience in using the technologies to all these questions except for the ArrayList vs Vector question (which also was from experience, but I felt I knew it well).

Yes, I know all these questions have answers in textbooks and the internet. But, these are not questions you expect in a technical phone interview (at least not the first round).

I never got a feedback from either the interviewer or the recruiter. Like, I said above, the guy seemed least interested in interviewing me. After about 45 minutes, he suddenly asked me if I had any questions for him - I asked him what team he was a part of and what would the next steps be - and he didn't really seem interested in answering as all he said was "I'm a software engineer here and the recruiter will let you know if you are selected".

All the best to anyone else who interviews with this company - I hope others get a better interviewer - who provides decent feedback.

Interview Questions

• All questions were unexpected - none were difficult - all answers are available in textbooks or through an internet search.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Actually I didn't apply to this position in anyway but I got a phone call from this company and they requested an interview with me.

First interesting thing was they don't have formal technical HR people for interviewing, so they have to ask random software developers to do the interviews. And those non-tech HR people (I mean the people who invite you to interviews) have no idea when those developers will be free to interview people. So I was re-scheduled no less than *TEN* times with reasons ranging from "Mr. x is too busy with his project " to "Mr. y will have to be in a meeting.", etc.

Second interesting thing was when the interview finally happened which was three months after the first invitation call was made. The "interviewer" came with no notes and pens or anything..

It's been almost two months and I still have not heard anything from them. Maybe they never know there was a person that came for an interview on that day.

Interview Questions

• How to use DFS to search for an element in a BST. (I found this question mysterious.)   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Photon Infotech.

Interview

The representative I initially spoke to was very friendly, personable, and professional, with the exception of not providing me with any information about the position in advance, despite my request for a job description when they reached out to me. There was some confusion between their staff in scheduling the interview, and things seemed a bit disorganized throughout the actual interview process; I think they may have been going for casual, but it was a little off-putting. The management was knowledgeable, personable, and expressed how dedicated they all are, working long hours daily, giving up any external interests, etc. and making sure I understood this before agreeing to continue the process.

I ended up declining a second interview, as I was not able to make the level of commitment required, and did not feel that I would be a good fit with their team.

Interview Questions

• They did not ask any unexpected questions, however, they did put me on the spot asking what sort of app I would develop for a client and asked me to produce some wire-frames and a presentation; I think this is actually a good practice to see how well a candidate will perform.   Answer Question

Creative Interview

Interview

HR coordination and time management were not good. My interview was scheduled at 1.00 pm and I was made to wait for an hour.
    The second round meeting was not scheduled at all and it took another 4 hours waiting.
    Photon HR should work on time management and planning. But they were polite which is good.
    The security and front office executive were posing as if they were Authorities!

Business Development Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Photon Infotech (Chennai (India)) in February 2015.

Interview

Well, wonderful Experience. Two rounds i faced. A week before and another round next week. The Manage who took first round. Nice person he just shared about company prospects in a good manner. Nice conversation we had. Even final round person who i met who take met to the next level in my path. He dint select me over the phone and gave me an another option to come for the round again. I prepared myself thoroughly and faced again after couple of days he convienced at last i'm in ..

Interview Questions

• They expect me to share their organization prospectus.   1 Answer