Pier 1 Imports

Average Difficulty
95 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in March 2012.

Interview Details – The best way to nab an interview is to first complete the online application and assessment. Ensure your availability is accurate because it is one of the most important components of your application to them. If you are unavailable on the weekends (Saturday or Sunday) don't expect to get selected. If you don't want to work weekends, then you shouldn't be working in retail.

Next, the best time to apply is during the slow months; June, July, and October when they are looking for seasonal help. You may have to start as a Temp associate but because turnover is so high, you will more than likely be asked to stay on if you did a decent job. If you don't, then well you didn't work hard enough or show potential.

The interview will be Behavioral/Experienced based questions. Prepare before hand to answer questions that start with: "Tell me about a time when you experienced....." The questions all relate to retail/customer service and communicating with your team or supervisor.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to explain a complex feature, benefit, or program to a customer.
Tell me about a time when you turned a customer who was "just looking" in to a buyer.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pay is based on experience, how well you interviewed, and the likeliness you could move into management. If you have these three things, you can negotiate a little.

Westport, CT

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in August 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring process was pretty straight forward. Went to the store and was told to apply on line. Did the application then met with the manager who was extremely pleasant and informative.

Negotiation Details – Straight forward. I was told what the pay was, possible benefits and that's it.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports.

Interview Details – Group interview, run of the mill interview, 5 of the 6 people in interview were hired, Chrismas is an easy time to get hired and try to become permanent. Take online test,

Portland, OR

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports.

Interview Details – At the time (2years ago) you had to apply in store. They had me fill out the application in the sales floor and asked me "why pier one?".

A few days later I got a call to come in for a group interview. I arrived and to my surprise it was just myself and one other person interviewing. Asked about pasted retail experience and customer service, standard interview questions. Then the hard part came, role playing. I'll tell you right now Pier one is big on role playing, we do this every meeting infront of everyone so be sure you're comfortable performing a skit infront of your peers and supervisors. We were asked to roll play a situation where a customer needed help picking out a complete dinner set. Then we we're ask to sell the card to one another. They'll give you time to look over the benefits of the card so you'll be familiar with the selling point, go online and get familiar before the interview it'll be much easier.

Later that day I got a call from Pier 1 and was offered a job.

Interview Question – What does customer service mean to you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports.

Interview Details – There was a brief phone interview about a week after I applied. Asked about the basics (availability, transportation, etc.) and then set a date for an in-store interview a week later. In the one on one interview there was a role-play scenario and questions about how you have handled previous experiences in the workplace. The manager was very nice and adjusted the questions for me because I had no previous experience (in high school at the time).

Interview Question – Questions focusing on personal experiences, if you have been in customer service before you will do fine.   Answer Question

Milford, CT

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied in store along with a friend and we were taken as a pair through the whole process. After a few days, I called and spoke to the store manager who asked me to come in for a group interview. We were asked a few questions about experience and what we would do in certain situations. It was pretty comfortable but formal enough too.

Interview Question – What would you do in a situation where a customer's child was being too rowdy in the store   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports.

Interview Details – Interview was fairly expected. I was asked to role play and sell a sofa to my manager. Within 5 days I was hired. There is a lot of training- some things are common sense

Interview Question – Nothing was too difficult of caught you off guard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Minium wage

Sales Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted about a week later with the help of an employee referral. Sat down with about 6 other people and they hired 5 of us. It was mainly a seasonal job but they ended up keeping 4 of the original 5.

Interview Question – They usually ask customer service questions and how you can help the customer find what they want as best as possible. Nothing out of the ordinary and nothing too difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Sat down with the manager and discuss pay, associate handbook, and policies.

Akron, OH

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in August 2013.

Interview Details – Was very laid back; encouraged to have fun at the job, talk with shoppers, understand their needs. Was asked the typical questions: what you liked/disliked about past employers, what hrs I would be available, if I have a reliable source of transportation to and from work. When I could start

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiations - take it or leave it

Albuquerque, NM

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and within a week I had been contacted and scheduled for an interview. The company needed to hire a few associates for two separate locations so my interview was a group interview. There were 8 of us interviewed, and for an awkward situation, the managers made it as comfortable for us as possible. The questions were fairly simple. They asked us about situations in which we had experienced great customer service and not so great customer service, what we could bring to the company, and personal experiences on how we have handled making mistakes. We also did a role play on providing customer service. Overall, the interview was a fun learning experience.

Interview Question – Role playing   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I received a call from the store manager a day later, she offered me the job, I accepted, and within a couple days I began training. It was a very quick and easy process.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Pier 1 Imports

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pier 1 Imports Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 95 interview reviews posted anonymously by Pier 1 Imports employees and interview candidates.