Pier 1 Imports Sales Associate Interview Questions & Reviews

102 interviews

2.1

102 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports.

My interview process was extremely casual. My manager asked about my experiences in college and was interested in my experience studying abroad. I never had an interview like this before. My experience was atypical. The only advice I can give is that you show enthusiasm for the position.

Interview Questions
She said my salary was $9.50 and I said "That's cool." We were both happy with the agreement.

Other Interview Reviews for Pier 1 Imports

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in May 2011.

Submitted my resume to the manager in person. She asked me to fill out their online questionnaire. Called me the next day to schedule and interview for later in the week. Interview was fairly relaxed over all. Asked general interview questions. Relax and be yourself! She hired me on the spot!

Interview Questions
    None. Pay was minimum wage.

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in August 2014.

Applied online, quick process. Also had to do an assessment with some stimulated scenarios (kinda fun actually). Some people said this was an hour process, took me about half that time. Got called with in 2 weeks.
    Interview was pretty easy, had a small one over the phone, asked me about last job, pretty standard stuff. At the formal interview she asked me more detailed but standard behavioral questions (tell me about a time).

Interview Questions
    • Explain how you dealt with a difficult customer.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in July 2014.

I applied online and got a call 4-5 days later to come in for a group interview. There were 4 of us that showed up out of 6. The ASM told us to look around the store while we waited. During the interview they explained dress code and that the position was limited part time meaning no more than 20 hours a week but closer to 16. Asked us each specific experience based questions and went to each person for an answer. Try to say something different then other people. Then they asked if we had questions. They also explain expectations for signing people up for a pier one credit card. Then said they will email you with a rejection or call back for a second interview. I haven't received an email and its 4 days later. She said she still had another group to interview.

Interview Questions
    • How did you handle a situation where you were asked to do something you had never done before   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Anaheim Hills, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim Hills, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in July 2014.

I applied online and took a one hour assessment which was basically hypothetical questions and scenarios on handling situations on the job. I called the hiring manager at the store I wanted to apply to and she said she would look over my application. A week later she called to set up an interview with myself and another applicant. The only question she asked was experience of customer service and a little bit about ourselves. A week later she offered me the position as a part time sales associate and a day after I started the hiring process.

Minimum wage

Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in July 2014.

The application process is completely online. After completing the application, I was directed to an online assessment which took about an hour. Hypothetical customer service scenarios were set up and the best answer chosen. About six weeks after I took the assessment, the manager of the local store called me for an interview at the store. The manager and I chatted a few minutes about an unrelated connection before the interview formally began, so she was able to assess my communication abilities. Beyond that, we chatted about store policies, management policies, expectations, schedules. She was very cordial, polite and personable, and we had a nice connection. She said she had several people to interview and expected to make return calls the following Friday. She surprised me by calling me two days earlier on Wednesday instead! All employees were friendly, and the one I had met earlier at my initial visit remembered me - always a nice bonus!

Interview Questions
    • This was not a technical interview but one to assess personality and fit for the store. The initial, and only question about me was "Tell me about yourself."   Answer Question

I declined because she was only offering a part time position, and I decided after the interview that I wanted to take my career path on a different direction.

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in March 2012.

The best way to nab an interview is to first complete the online application and assessment. Ensure your availability is accurate because it is one of the most important components of your application to them. If you are unavailable on the weekends (Saturday or Sunday) don't expect to get selected. If you don't want to work weekends, then you shouldn't be working in retail.

Next, the best time to apply is during the slow months; June, July, and October when they are looking for seasonal help. You may have to start as a Temp associate but because turnover is so high, you will more than likely be asked to stay on if you did a decent job. If you don't, then well you didn't work hard enough or show potential.

The interview will be Behavioral/Experienced based questions. Prepare before hand to answer questions that start with: "Tell me about a time when you experienced....." The questions all relate to retail/customer service and communicating with your team or supervisor.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to explain a complex feature, benefit, or program to a customer.
      Tell me about a time when you turned a customer who was "just looking" in to a buyer.
        Answer Question
    Pay is based on experience, how well you interviewed, and the likeliness you could move into management. If you have these three things, you can negotiate a little.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Westport, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in August 2012.

The hiring process was pretty straight forward. Went to the store and was told to apply on line. Did the application then met with the manager who was extremely pleasant and informative.

Straight forward. I was told what the pay was, possible benefits and that's it.

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports.

Group interview, run of the mill interview, 5 of the 6 people in interview were hired, Chrismas is an easy time to get hired and try to become permanent. Take online test,

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports.

At the time (2years ago) you had to apply in store. They had me fill out the application in the sales floor and asked me "why pier one?".

A few days later I got a call to come in for a group interview. I arrived and to my surprise it was just myself and one other person interviewing. Asked about pasted retail experience and customer service, standard interview questions. Then the hard part came, role playing. I'll tell you right now Pier one is big on role playing, we do this every meeting infront of everyone so be sure you're comfortable performing a skit infront of your peers and supervisors. We were asked to roll play a situation where a customer needed help picking out a complete dinner set. Then we we're ask to sell the card to one another. They'll give you time to look over the benefits of the card so you'll be familiar with the selling point, go online and get familiar before the interview it'll be much easier.

Later that day I got a call from Pier 1 and was offered a job.

Did not negotiate.

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!