Pier 1 Imports Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2015

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Altoona, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports (Altoona, PA) in September 2012.

Interview

One interview and hired on the spot. It's about a half an hour. For a minimum wage job it was actually hard and as difficult as one for a salary position.

Interview Questions

• They ask what mistake you made at your previous employment.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There were no negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for Pier 1 Imports

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conway, AR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports (Conway, AR) in May 2014.

Interview

I had an interview with multiple candidates; there were hands on activities that we were requested to conduct in front of the store manager. The interview was great and very different from other interviews that I have been exposed to. The whole interview process took approximately 3 days from the time I applied. I received a call back from the store manager the same day I had my interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you had to let a person/customer down.   Answer Question

Negotiation

She suggested a better pay rate for my experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawrence, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports (Lawrence, KS) in October 2013.

Interview

Started with a phone interview, then a group interview involving 2 managers and 3 candidates. Basic retail behavioral questions and roleplaying to sell the Pier 1 card. It wasn't a challenging interview, but I personally hate group interviews and the questions were mainly based on retail.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vernon Hills, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports (Vernon Hills, IL).

Interview

Just tell them about how great you are at selling credit cards and lifting heavy objects. I told them how great I was at one of those things and got hired!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports (Dallas, TX) in May 2012.

Interview

I was asked if I was comfortable with selling credit to customers. Different senario questions.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Pier 1 Imports.

Interview

I applied online, got a call the nest day asking me why I wanted to work there and what I think good customer service is. I came in for an interview two days later. Interview was pretty laid back, just basic questions and some scenario questions.

Interview Questions

• Sell me this item (gave me a product that they sell and asked me to sell it)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports (Portland, OR).

Interview

At the time (2years ago) you had to apply in store. They had me fill out the application in the sales floor and asked me "why pier one?".

A few days later I got a call to come in for a group interview. I arrived and to my surprise it was just myself and one other person interviewing. Asked about pasted retail experience and customer service, standard interview questions. Then the hard part came, role playing. I'll tell you right now Pier one is big on role playing, we do this every meeting infront of everyone so be sure you're comfortable performing a skit infront of your peers and supervisors. We were asked to roll play a situation where a customer needed help picking out a complete dinner set. Then we we're ask to sell the card to one another. They'll give you time to look over the benefits of the card so you'll be familiar with the selling point, go online and get familiar before the interview it'll be much easier.

Later that day I got a call from Pier 1 and was offered a job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Did not negotiate.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports in March 2012.

Interview

The best way to nab an interview is to first complete the online application and assessment. Ensure your availability is accurate because it is one of the most important components of your application to them. If you are unavailable on the weekends (Saturday or Sunday) don't expect to get selected. If you don't want to work weekends, then you shouldn't be working in retail.

Next, the best time to apply is during the slow months; June, July, and October when they are looking for seasonal help. You may have to start as a Temp associate but because turnover is so high, you will more than likely be asked to stay on if you did a decent job. If you don't, then well you didn't work hard enough or show potential.

The interview will be Behavioral/Experienced based questions. Prepare before hand to answer questions that start with: "Tell me about a time when you experienced....." The questions all relate to retail/customer service and communicating with your team or supervisor.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to explain a complex feature, benefit, or program to a customer.
      Tell me about a time when you turned a customer who was "just looking" in to a buyer.

Answer Question

Negotiation

Pay is based on experience, how well you interviewed, and the likeliness you could move into management. If you have these three things, you can negotiate a little.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online and got a call 4-5 days later to come in for a group interview. There were 4 of us that showed up out of 6. The ASM told us to look around the store while we waited. During the interview they explained dress code and that the position was limited part time meaning no more than 20 hours a week but closer to 16. Asked us each specific experience based questions and went to each person for an answer. Try to say something different then other people. Then they asked if we had questions. They also explain expectations for signing people up for a pier one credit card. Then said they will email you with a rejection or call back for a second interview. I haven't received an email and its 4 days later. She said she still had another group to interview.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a situation where you were asked to do something you had never done before   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports in August 2014.

Interview

Applied online, quick process. Also had to do an assessment with some stimulated scenarios (kinda fun actually). Some people said this was an hour process, took me about half that time. Got called with in 2 weeks.
    Interview was pretty easy, had a small one over the phone, asked me about last job, pretty standard stuff. At the formal interview she asked me more detailed but standard behavioral questions (tell me about a time).

Interview Questions

• Explain how you dealt with a difficult customer.   1 Answer