Pier 1 Imports

2.1

111 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Altoona, PA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Altoona, PA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports in September 2012.

One interview and hired on the spot. It's about a half an hour. For a minimum wage job it was actually hard and as difficult as one for a salary position.

Interview Questions
  • They ask what mistake you made at your previous employment.   Answer Question
There were no negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for Pier 1 Imports

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Port Coquitlam, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Port Coquitlam, BC (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports in November 2011.

I had a group interview but the questions were the same as a one on one. They asked how you dealt with a difficult customer in the past. How you converted a "Just looking" customer into a sale. Explain a time when you gave excellent customer service. Explain a time when you went above and beyond your job description. What would you do in a time that was not busy?

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you went above and beyond in a previous job..my mind went a little blank..   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports in August 2009.

Filled out application in store, did online assessment, waited about a week, called for an interview, interviewed, waited another week and got a call

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports in October 2010.

Walk-ins fill out application in store and are able to speak to a manager that very day. They were extremely welcoming and friendly. I received a call within 3 days to go in for a group interview. casual and fun interview. They do a role playing activity to get a feel for your selling skills. no sweat if you've got retail experience.

Interview Questions
    • Name the most difficult obstacle you were faced with at a previous job and explain how you overcame that obstacle.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports in June 2011.

Walked in and filled out an application. Spoke briefly with the manager who gave me a card that had a link to an online personality/intelligence test.
    Approximately a month and a half later I got a call from a manager asking if I wanted to interview the following day. I accepted so I went into the store the next day for the interview. I've only been to a handful of other interviews and compared to them, this was thorough, but it was not difficult and if you are articulate and enthusiastic the interview should not be an issue.
    The only part of the interview that made me think a bit was the role-playing part- you had to: 1. pretend to sell a product; 2. convince someone to sign up for a rewards card, etc.
    A few days later I got a call back from the manager who said I got the job.
    Overall the manager seemed to care about: being a people person, promoting the rewards cards, and having flexible hours.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had had an issue with a previous boss. How did you resolve it?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had had an issue with a customer at a previous job. How did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports in July 2011.

Sat down with the manager. Told me would call me in 2 days and would ask for references.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in August 2012.

I filled out application in store, talked to some of the employees, the next day received a call scheduling an interview for a Wednesday. Night before interview, Pier 1 canceled and rescheduled to interview me for Friday. Day of interview the girl who was supposed to interview me had some personal matter to tend to so next in charge, I guess was the shift supervisor interviewed me. She was a year younger than me and had never done a job interview. Everything went great, she kept saying I would be perfect for the job, that I would fit in well, she said she would push for me to get hired and that she hopes she would be the one to train me. Before I left she said she would call her supervisor or manager and tell her how the interview went and for me to expect a call within a few days. A week went by and I hadn't heard anything so i called to follow up on the interview and the manager said she hadn't had a chance to look at the interview notes, that she and been busy and that she would get back to me early the next week. Another week went by and I still hadn't heard anything so again I called back and the manager went on about how their store is really busy, that they've had to work over time and call in employees from surrounding stores and that she still hadn't looked at my interview notes and the company didn't want the manager to hire anyone during their relay. Then she said that she would get back to me early next week with either another interview or a job offer and another week has gone by and still nothing!!! It's been 3 weeks since my interview. You would think they would have the decency to call me and say their going in another direction or that they have hired someone else. I feel like they're making me wait as their last resort, it's rude and a waste of my time.

Interview Questions
    • If a stubborn customer has a coupon that's expired and insisting they should still be able to use it, what would you do?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports in January 2008.

I walked in, filled out the application. An assistant manager looked it over and said she would call me if they needed someone in that position. Two days later I got the call and we scheduled an interview. The assistant manager who was training to be a store manager interviewed me. She asked questions like what would you do if a customer asked a question and you didn't know the answer; can you work under a lot of pressure, can you multitalsk, lift heavy boxes, work different shifts... She also asked me to tell her about a time that I had to help an upset or angry customer and about a time when I did not agree with my store's policy and what i did about it. And of course where do you see yourself in 5 years...

Interview Questions
    • Desribe a situation when you had to help an angry or uspet customer.   Answer Question
    I didn't really negotiate. She offered 7.50 and I took it. But a sidenote: Since I had managerial experience I was offered a full time assistant manager position 6 months later. Work hard, don't gossip, and be dependable and you could move up.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports in May 2009.

The interview process was short and sweet. I filled out an application, spoke with the manager for a few minutes and scheduled an interview for the following week. During the interview the manager asked me a set of corporate issued questions about my knowledge, skills and abilities. I was also asked what I knew about Pier 1. Of course I had the good sense to research the company prior to the interview. Since I am also a customer of Pier 1, I already knew the merchandise mix.

The manager was very friendly and put me at ease. The manager ended the interview by requesting references.

I left the interview quite pleased and as expected, I received an offer within 10 days.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had an upset/angry customer and how did you resolve the problem to the customer's satisfaction?   Answer Question
    • What 5 words would your friends use to describe you?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. The company is in transition right now so don't expect a salary much more than minimum wage.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports in August 2010.

She asked basic interview questions "describe a time when you had an unhappy customer...etc" and then role-played me selling her a candle.