Pier 1 Imports

Average Difficulty
96 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for a sales associate position and received a call from the store manager the next morning. I set up for an interview for the following week. Very basic questions. Many were role play. After the interview, I was told that i would be notified within a week to let me know if I was hired. The store manager called me three days later, and told me that she wanted to hire me. Just a side note, during the application process, expect to take a personality test.

Interview Question – Using role play, sell me a couch, and add on additional items.   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and a few weeks later I received a call from the manager asking me to come in and interview. It was a group interview and there were 5 other women there. First we walked around the store and the manager asked us questions about how we would help a customer in several different situations. Like if they were having a party how would we guide them to the correct items based on their needs, or if they were looking for gifts, what questions would we ask to help them find what they needed.

Then we went to her office and we talked about corporate goals, the Pier 1 card, and working well with other people. You weren't put on the spot really, you could volunteer your thoughts if you had something to say. Of course the people who talked the most were the 3 that got hired, and were also the most stylish and professional looking.

Interview Question – None of the questions were particularly difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate. I now feel like I could have gotten $9 instead of $8.75 if I had tried.

Naples, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports.

Interview Details – Online - pretty standard

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and interviewed at Pier 1 Imports.

Interview Details – Group interview with several people applying for the position of sales associate. Total time was 45 minutes.

Interview Question – Why should I hire you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online for a seasonal position and got a call about a month later for an interview. The interview questions were pretty standard: "Tell me about a time you worked with a difficult customer", "How do you handle challenges".

Interview Question – Role play. Pier 1 is really big on role play as a training tool. During my interview I had to convince an uncertain customer to buy some candles.   Answer Question

Kissimmee, FL

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in November 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was at 9am, and I had no idea the interview was before they opened. I walked up to the door at exactly 9:00 thinking the door would be open. Nope, I waited a few minutes but couldn't see anyone. I walked back to my car to call the store thinking maybe I had the wrong time. The manager answered and said she was at the door at 9 and she was already half way done with the interview(which she wasn't I could see the door from my car which I got there at 8am, the people I saw go in I thought was workers....), I walked in and she asked me the same questions as the other girls. She then asked about the rewards card and I told her what I knew of it(15% off on your birthday), which the other girls had no idea of it. She then asked us to roll play to sell, in the middle of mine the manager told me to hold on and walked away for 2 minutes, came back and I continued. Only to see the manager fixing the shelves and not looking.........I found it very rude since I was on time and wasn't expecting her to start the interview early. The other two girls she had her full attention too, I was the second person to go in the roll play. After that she said we would hear from a guy or get a thank you note if we didn't. I hope I get a thank you note...

Interview Question – The questions she asked were easy, three things about yourself; about my last job; why pier one imports; and a time someone in sales helped me and how can I use that in the future; if I ever had a negative review and how did I handle it; this job you will be getting a lot of negative reviews its how they run things and if id be able to handle it; and if I knew about the rewards cards.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports.

Interview Details – Very, very easy. Called and did phone interview, had group interview and was offered a job on the spot.

Interview Question – Had to try and sell a Halloween decoration during summer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Hickory, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online after driving by the store. I received a call back within about a week asking to come in for an interview. I was interviewed by the manager of the store who was very friendly and easy to talk to. She asked general interview questions, a lot of which had to include examples from previous jobs. The first questions she asked were ones such as, "Tell me about yourself." The last question she asked was, "Why Pier 1?" In between those two, she had a list of about 6 questions that I think are asked at any Pier 1 interview. Just be as honest as you can and be yourself. She said she never does it but offered me a position on the spot. She said I answered all of the questions perfectly. I was very surprised!

Interview Question – Describe a time when you received excellent customer service, and how would you bring aspects of that service to Pier 1?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. She said she offered the going rate for the holiday season employees.

Costa Mesa, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports.

Interview Details – I dropped off a résumé in person at the cash register, then got a call for an interview a few days later. Interview was pretty informal and friendly, got hired easily. It was a while back, so I don't exactly remember many of the questions. I do believe they asked something about why you liked Pier 1 Imports.

Interview Question – Cannot recall what questions were asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. Perhaps a more experienced individual could negotiate.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in August 2013.

Interview Details – I got a call shortly after making the application. Happened to be around the time for hiring more of an employee base for the holiday season. Interview started out normal enough, talk about past employers, why did I leave? What brought me to apply here? What type of work am I accustom to? Tell me about yourself. This last one isn't so much a question as it is an open ended discussion opportunity which turned the interview into an hour and a half long chat about pets, family, housing, friends, and more about pets and dogs. I got the job after the conversation made the interviewer laugh at my dog situation and say that she can relate. Liked my personality because she didn't have someone on board like myself and wanted a core staff of diverse personalities for dynamics.

Interview Question – There was not really any question that was any more difficult or unusual than normal.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They put a wage on the computer system and are awaiting for you to agree with it before submitting, although it doesn't seem like you can really say no. Pretty flat rate wage throughout the store unless you are anything more than a sales associate.