Pier 1 Imports

Updated Feb 23, 2015

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naples, FL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naples, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports.

Online - pretty standard

No negotiation

Other Interview Reviews for Pier 1 Imports

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Pier 1 Imports.

Group interview with several people applying for the position of sales associate. Total time was 45 minutes.

No negotiation phase.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports in December 2013.

Before the interview at Pier 1, I was offered a job elsewhere so I came to the interview very unprepared. I wanted the job if I could get it, but it wasn't a necessity. I came dressed in a blazer, black slacks, heels, a nice blouse and no jewelry, thinking that everyone would be in the same type of apparel. I arrived about fifteen minutes early to the scheduled interview time and was told by one of the sales associates to walk around the store until we were called in for the interview. The associates calmly asked if I was nervous and made small talk with me. They were very polite and well mannered. A few minutes later, the store manager searched around the store for all of us interviewees and we headed to the back in the "employees only" part of the store. The manager had set up about six different chairs that they sell all in a row. I took the fourth chair because it looked the comfiest and most appealing to me. Throughout the interview, the manager was giving us a history of that particular store. She told us about herself and how the employees and schedule work. She then proceeded with the interview questioning process. She randomly picked someone to answer first and then let everyone else answer in the order that they pleased. She only asked us two or three questions. She asked us to tell everyone a little bit about ourselves and what we are currently doing with our lives. The next questions was to explain some previous job duties or skills that we think would apply to this job at Pier 1. She also asked us about our availability. She didn't ask us anything out of the ordinary. The other people there were dressed pretty casually I would say. One woman wore a scarf to the interview with a zip-up sweater, jeans, and Uggs, and she was actually hired with me. Another young woman wore blue streaks in her hair to the interview, but after the interview was over the manager held her back and asked if she could remove the hair color. She was hired and came back with all brown hair.
    The people at Pier 1 are all different in their own way, as most employees are. Some are casual, some are meticulous, some come only to work and not socialize. All in all, the staff is easy to get along with. It's a very easy going job so far.

Interview Questions
    • The manager only asked three questions and they were not out of the ordinary. She simply asked us to tell a little about ourselves, our previous job experiences that would apply to this job, and about our availability.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports.

Very, very easy. Called and did phone interview, had group interview and was offered a job on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Had to try and sell a Halloween decoration during summer.   Answer Question
    None.

Anonymous Employee in Kissimmee, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Kissimmee, FL

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports in November 2013.

The interview was at 9am, and I had no idea the interview was before they opened. I walked up to the door at exactly 9:00 thinking the door would be open. Nope, I waited a few minutes but couldn't see anyone. I walked back to my car to call the store thinking maybe I had the wrong time. The manager answered and said she was at the door at 9 and she was already half way done with the interview(which she wasn't I could see the door from my car which I got there at 8am, the people I saw go in I thought was workers....), I walked in and she asked me the same questions as the other girls. She then asked about the rewards card and I told her what I knew of it(15% off on your birthday), which the other girls had no idea of it. She then asked us to roll play to sell, in the middle of mine the manager told me to hold on and walked away for 2 minutes, came back and I continued. Only to see the manager fixing the shelves and not looking.........I found it very rude since I was on time and wasn't expecting her to start the interview early. The other two girls she had her full attention too, I was the second person to go in the roll play. After that she said we would hear from a guy or get a thank you note if we didn't. I hope I get a thank you note...

Interview Questions
    • The questions she asked were easy, three things about yourself; about my last job; why pier one imports; and a time someone in sales helped me and how can I use that in the future; if I ever had a negative review and how did I handle it; this job you will be getting a lot of negative reviews its how they run things and if id be able to handle it; and if I knew about the rewards cards.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports in November 2013.

Applied online for a seasonal position and got a call about a month later for an interview. The interview questions were pretty standard: "Tell me about a time you worked with a difficult customer", "How do you handle challenges".

Interview Questions
    • Role play. Pier 1 is really big on role play as a training tool. During my interview I had to convince an uncertain customer to buy some candles.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, CT

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports in November 2013.

I applied in store along with a friend and we were taken as a pair through the whole process. After a few days, I called and spoke to the store manager who asked me to come in for a group interview. We were asked a few questions about experience and what we would do in certain situations. It was pretty comfortable but formal enough too.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do in a situation where a customer's child was being too rowdy in the store   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports.

I dropped off a résumé in person at the cash register, then got a call for an interview a few days later. Interview was pretty informal and friendly, got hired easily. It was a while back, so I don't exactly remember many of the questions. I do believe they asked something about why you liked Pier 1 Imports.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations. Perhaps a more experienced individual could negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hickory, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hickory, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports in October 2013.

I applied online after driving by the store. I received a call back within about a week asking to come in for an interview. I was interviewed by the manager of the store who was very friendly and easy to talk to. She asked general interview questions, a lot of which had to include examples from previous jobs. The first questions she asked were ones such as, "Tell me about yourself." The last question she asked was, "Why Pier 1?" In between those two, she had a list of about 6 questions that I think are asked at any Pier 1 interview. Just be as honest as you can and be yourself. She said she never does it but offered me a position on the spot. She said I answered all of the questions perfectly. I was very surprised!

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you received excellent customer service, and how would you bring aspects of that service to Pier 1?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. She said she offered the going rate for the holiday season employees.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports in October 2013.

I applied online (which is the only way) and I got called about a week or two before. I went in the interview and there was three other people interviewing with me. We all sat at a table and the manager started out by telling us that this was going to be very relaxed.

She asked some pretty basic questions but she did make us feel at ease with some jokes and a lot of smiling. I can honestly say it was the most stress free interview I had ever been on.

Afterwards, she informed us that it would take up to two weeks to let us know but that would call even if we didn't get the position so we're not waiting. I did however get a call three days later to come in for orientation.

Interview Questions
    • was there ever a rule or task you didn't agree with, whether it be at a job or school; and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    not much of a negotiation. I got a fair offer based on my experiences.