Pier 1 Imports Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2015

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports (Costa Mesa, CA).

Interview

I dropped off a résumé in person at the cash register, then got a call for an interview a few days later. Interview was pretty informal and friendly, got hired easily. It was a while back, so I don't exactly remember many of the questions. I do believe they asked something about why you liked Pier 1 Imports.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations. Perhaps a more experienced individual could negotiate.

Other Interview Reviews for Pier 1 Imports

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hickory, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports (Hickory, NC) in October 2013.

Interview

I applied online after driving by the store. I received a call back within about a week asking to come in for an interview. I was interviewed by the manager of the store who was very friendly and easy to talk to. She asked general interview questions, a lot of which had to include examples from previous jobs. The first questions she asked were ones such as, "Tell me about yourself." The last question she asked was, "Why Pier 1?" In between those two, she had a list of about 6 questions that I think are asked at any Pier 1 interview. Just be as honest as you can and be yourself. She said she never does it but offered me a position on the spot. She said I answered all of the questions perfectly. I was very surprised!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you received excellent customer service, and how would you bring aspects of that service to Pier 1?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. She said she offered the going rate for the holiday season employees.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports (New York, NY) in October 2013.

Interview

I applied online (which is the only way) and I got called about a week or two before. I went in the interview and there was three other people interviewing with me. We all sat at a table and the manager started out by telling us that this was going to be very relaxed.

She asked some pretty basic questions but she did make us feel at ease with some jokes and a lot of smiling. I can honestly say it was the most stress free interview I had ever been on.

Afterwards, she informed us that it would take up to two weeks to let us know but that would call even if we didn't get the position so we're not waiting. I did however get a call three days later to come in for orientation.

Interview Questions

• was there ever a rule or task you didn't agree with, whether it be at a job or school; and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

not much of a negotiation. I got a fair offer based on my experiences.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawrence, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports (Lawrence, KS) in October 2013.

Interview

Started with a phone interview, then a group interview involving 2 managers and 3 candidates. Basic retail behavioral questions and roleplaying to sell the Pier 1 card. It wasn't a challenging interview, but I personally hate group interviews and the questions were mainly based on retail.

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

It was a basic interview discussing ways to start an emotional connection and ways to sell the Pier 1 Credit Card and making sure that you are comfortable with this. It was similar to any other retail interview. I was hired immediately and offered a low wage. I negotiated for an extra dollar, which is still low, but I was sure to advance quickly

Interview Questions

Negotiation

they will start with a laughable wage like, 8 an hour. if you have experience, don't be afraid to sell yourself. my boss negotiated with my regional for 9.50 to start. it is still a low wage, but if you are desparate for a job, every penny helps

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports in September 2013.

Interview

I applied online and a few weeks later I received a call from the manager asking me to come in and interview. It was a group interview and there were 5 other women there. First we walked around the store and the manager asked us questions about how we would help a customer in several different situations. Like if they were having a party how would we guide them to the correct items based on their needs, or if they were looking for gifts, what questions would we ask to help them find what they needed.

Then we went to her office and we talked about corporate goals, the Pier 1 card, and working well with other people. You weren't put on the spot really, you could volunteer your thoughts if you had something to say. Of course the people who talked the most were the 3 that got hired, and were also the most stylish and professional looking.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate. I now feel like I could have gotten $9 instead of $8.75 if I had tried.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports (Chicago, IL) in September 2013.

Interview

I applied for a sales associate position and received a call from the store manager the next morning. I set up for an interview for the following week. Very basic questions. Many were role play. After the interview, I was told that i would be notified within a week to let me know if I was hired. The store manager called me three days later, and told me that she wanted to hire me. Just a side note, during the application process, expect to take a personality test.

Interview Questions

• Using role play, sell me a couch, and add on additional items.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports (Paramus, NJ).

Interview

very easy, asked basic questions on past experience, what hours I was interested in working, why I choose to work at "Pier 1"

Interview Questions

• Wasn't a question I couldn't answer, as I said very easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They gave me an hourly amount, I was able to negotiate a little more.......

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports in August 2013.

Interview

I got a call shortly after making the application. Happened to be around the time for hiring more of an employee base for the holiday season. Interview started out normal enough, talk about past employers, why did I leave? What brought me to apply here? What type of work am I accustom to? Tell me about yourself. This last one isn't so much a question as it is an open ended discussion opportunity which turned the interview into an hour and a half long chat about pets, family, housing, friends, and more about pets and dogs. I got the job after the conversation made the interviewer laugh at my dog situation and say that she can relate. Liked my personality because she didn't have someone on board like myself and wanted a core staff of diverse personalities for dynamics.

Interview Questions

• There was not really any question that was any more difficult or unusual than normal.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They put a wage on the computer system and are awaiting for you to agree with it before submitting, although it doesn't seem like you can really say no. Pretty flat rate wage throughout the store unless you are anything more than a sales associate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Pier 1 Imports (Albuquerque, NM) in August 2013.

Interview

I applied online and within a week I had been contacted and scheduled for an interview. The company needed to hire a few associates for two separate locations so my interview was a group interview. There were 8 of us interviewed, and for an awkward situation, the managers made it as comfortable for us as possible. The questions were fairly simple. They asked us about situations in which we had experienced great customer service and not so great customer service, what we could bring to the company, and personal experiences on how we have handled making mistakes. We also did a role play on providing customer service. Overall, the interview was a fun learning experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I received a call from the store manager a day later, she offered me the job, I accepted, and within a couple days I began training. It was a very quick and easy process.