Pier 1 Imports

Average Difficulty
97 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in August 2013.

Interview Details – I got a call shortly after making the application. Happened to be around the time for hiring more of an employee base for the holiday season. Interview started out normal enough, talk about past employers, why did I leave? What brought me to apply here? What type of work am I accustom to? Tell me about yourself. This last one isn't so much a question as it is an open ended discussion opportunity which turned the interview into an hour and a half long chat about pets, family, housing, friends, and more about pets and dogs. I got the job after the conversation made the interviewer laugh at my dog situation and say that she can relate. Liked my personality because she didn't have someone on board like myself and wanted a core staff of diverse personalities for dynamics.

Interview Question – There was not really any question that was any more difficult or unusual than normal.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They put a wage on the computer system and are awaiting for you to agree with it before submitting, although it doesn't seem like you can really say no. Pretty flat rate wage throughout the store unless you are anything more than a sales associate.

Memphis, TN

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in September 2010.

Interview Details – It was a group interview before the holidays in 2010. Three managers from different stores were present, and all three talked with everyone and asked questions. The atmosphere of the interview was convivial and fun, and since it was a group interview, everyone got a turn answering each question in a roundtable format.

Interview Question – What is your favorite reality TV show?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in September 2009.

Interview Details – Mine was a walk-in and was asked to come back right after I turned over the application that I had just filled out to the Team Lead (who was an absolute sweetheart). A few days after returned for the interview, a somewhat chilly sit down at first.

Interviewed at Pier 1 Imports

Interview Details – It was a basic interview discussing ways to start an emotional connection and ways to sell the Pier 1 Credit Card and making sure that you are comfortable with this. It was similar to any other retail interview. I was hired immediately and offered a low wage. I negotiated for an extra dollar, which is still low, but I was sure to advance quickly

Interview Question – I was not asked any unexpected or difficult questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – they will start with a laughable wage like, 8 an hour. if you have experience, don't be afraid to sell yourself. my boss negotiated with my regional for 9.50 to start. it is still a low wage, but if you are desparate for a job, every penny helps

Paramus, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports.

Interview Details – very easy, asked basic questions on past experience, what hours I was interested in working, why I choose to work at "Pier 1"

Interview Question – Wasn't a question I couldn't answer, as I said very easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They gave me an hourly amount, I was able to negotiate a little more.......

Tuscaloosa, AL

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in October 2012.

Interview Details – The interview was a group interview and it was very specific, at that time I was told I would only be holiday help even though I stayed past the holidays. I got hired on the spot so I only had one interview.

Interview Question – I had no hard questions during my interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was not one.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for the job online, and got a call 2 days later and she scheduled me for an interview 2 days after that. It was a group interview that ended up being just me and 1 other girl. It was VERY laid back, and fun! Got hired on the spot.

Interview Question – Explain one situation where you went above or beyond expectations in customer service.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate

Sales Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in July 2013.

Interview Details – I first submitted my application online. About a month later I had gotten a call regarding the application. I was asked a few questions about myself and about the company; such as why I wanted to work at Pier 1 Imports. The actual interview itself was very relaxed, group of about 4 people.

Interview Question – There was no most difficult question, everything was straight forward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, but I was offered above what I thought I would start out at.

Thornton, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in June 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and within a week i was interviewed over the phone by the assistant store manager, then I was given an in person interview the following week, after the interview I was hired in about a week, then began the two week long training process. Interview was pretty straightforward and typical for retail including questions about retail experience and customer service. Over the phone I was asked things like "if a customer was looking to decorate her living room, what kind of questions would you ask her?". The store was slightly busy so I had to wait awhile, and walking through the stock room to get to the office was a little bit crowded.

Interview Question – I was asked about dealing with a difficult customer and asked to give a specific incidence I had experienced. Thinking of a specific situation was just difficult to do on the spot   Answer Question

Rockville, MD

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in November 2012.

Interview Details – I applied in mid-November. They were advertising that they were hiring seasonal associates. I filled out my application in the store (which I guess is no longer an option) and spoke to the store manager after completing my application. Within a few days, less than a week, I was called in for an interview with one of the two assistant store managers (ASM). The interview was pretty straight-forward for a retail position, Mostly questions about previous retail experience, customer service and sales techniques. A few days after that, the store manager called and offered me a position. The actual interview was relatively informal and took place on the floor, at one of the dining tables on display.

Interview Question – For me, the hardest questions are always when they ask when you gave or recieved good customer service because I have trouble coming up with something right there on the spot. Another question some people might find tough was add-on sales; the interviewer asked me what I would recommend to a customer who was interested in a dining table. I think I recommended like table runners and new plates or a sideboard. All in all I didn't think it was a very tough interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I made $10/hr at my previous retail position and that's I asked for on my application, and that's what they gave me. I really did need a job at the time and didn't really try to negotiate for more money. That said, 9-10 dollars is about the average starting salary for everyone I work with....and what they're still earning.