Pier 1 Imports Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2014

2.1

103 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in November 2013.

Applied online for a seasonal position and got a call about a month later for an interview. The interview questions were pretty standard: "Tell me about a time you worked with a difficult customer", "How do you handle challenges".

Interview Questions
  • Role play. Pier 1 is really big on role play as a training tool. During my interview I had to convince an uncertain customer to buy some candles.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Pier 1 Imports

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kissimmee, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kissimmee, FL

I applied online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in November 2013.

The interview was at 9am, and I had no idea the interview was before they opened. I walked up to the door at exactly 9:00 thinking the door would be open. Nope, I waited a few minutes but couldn't see anyone. I walked back to my car to call the store thinking maybe I had the wrong time. The manager answered and said she was at the door at 9 and she was already half way done with the interview(which she wasn't I could see the door from my car which I got there at 8am, the people I saw go in I thought was workers....), I walked in and she asked me the same questions as the other girls. She then asked about the rewards card and I told her what I knew of it(15% off on your birthday), which the other girls had no idea of it. She then asked us to roll play to sell, in the middle of mine the manager told me to hold on and walked away for 2 minutes, came back and I continued. Only to see the manager fixing the shelves and not looking.........I found it very rude since I was on time and wasn't expecting her to start the interview early. The other two girls she had her full attention too, I was the second person to go in the roll play. After that she said we would hear from a guy or get a thank you note if we didn't. I hope I get a thank you note...

Interview Questions
    • The questions she asked were easy, three things about yourself; about my last job; why pier one imports; and a time someone in sales helped me and how can I use that in the future; if I ever had a negative review and how did I handle it; this job you will be getting a lot of negative reviews its how they run things and if id be able to handle it; and if I knew about the rewards cards.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports.

Very, very easy. Called and did phone interview, had group interview and was offered a job on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Had to try and sell a Halloween decoration during summer.   Answer Question
    None.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hickory, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hickory, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in October 2013.

I applied online after driving by the store. I received a call back within about a week asking to come in for an interview. I was interviewed by the manager of the store who was very friendly and easy to talk to. She asked general interview questions, a lot of which had to include examples from previous jobs. The first questions she asked were ones such as, "Tell me about yourself." The last question she asked was, "Why Pier 1?" In between those two, she had a list of about 6 questions that I think are asked at any Pier 1 interview. Just be as honest as you can and be yourself. She said she never does it but offered me a position on the spot. She said I answered all of the questions perfectly. I was very surprised!

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you received excellent customer service, and how would you bring aspects of that service to Pier 1?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. She said she offered the going rate for the holiday season employees.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports.

I dropped off a résumé in person at the cash register, then got a call for an interview a few days later. Interview was pretty informal and friendly, got hired easily. It was a while back, so I don't exactly remember many of the questions. I do believe they asked something about why you liked Pier 1 Imports.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations. Perhaps a more experienced individual could negotiate.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in August 2013.

I got a call shortly after making the application. Happened to be around the time for hiring more of an employee base for the holiday season. Interview started out normal enough, talk about past employers, why did I leave? What brought me to apply here? What type of work am I accustom to? Tell me about yourself. This last one isn't so much a question as it is an open ended discussion opportunity which turned the interview into an hour and a half long chat about pets, family, housing, friends, and more about pets and dogs. I got the job after the conversation made the interviewer laugh at my dog situation and say that she can relate. Liked my personality because she didn't have someone on board like myself and wanted a core staff of diverse personalities for dynamics.

Interview Questions
    • There was not really any question that was any more difficult or unusual than normal.   Answer Question
    They put a wage on the computer system and are awaiting for you to agree with it before submitting, although it doesn't seem like you can really say no. Pretty flat rate wage throughout the store unless you are anything more than a sales associate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in September 2010.

It was a group interview before the holidays in 2010. Three managers from different stores were present, and all three talked with everyone and asked questions. The atmosphere of the interview was convivial and fun, and since it was a group interview, everyone got a turn answering each question in a roundtable format.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports in September 2009.

Mine was a walk-in and was asked to come back right after I turned over the application that I had just filled out to the Team Lead (who was an absolute sweetheart). A few days after returned for the interview, a somewhat chilly sit down at first.

Sales Associate Interview

It was a basic interview discussing ways to start an emotional connection and ways to sell the Pier 1 Credit Card and making sure that you are comfortable with this. It was similar to any other retail interview. I was hired immediately and offered a low wage. I negotiated for an extra dollar, which is still low, but I was sure to advance quickly

Interview Questions
    they will start with a laughable wage like, 8 an hour. if you have experience, don't be afraid to sell yourself. my boss negotiated with my regional for 9.50 to start. it is still a low wage, but if you are desparate for a job, every penny helps

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Paramus, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Pier 1 Imports.

very easy, asked basic questions on past experience, what hours I was interested in working, why I choose to work at "Pier 1"

Interview Questions
    • Wasn't a question I couldn't answer, as I said very easy.   Answer Question
    They gave me an hourly amount, I was able to negotiate a little more.......