Pilot Flying J Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015

2.4

Fuel Payables Interview

Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pilot Flying J in March 2015.

Very unhappy with the interviewer and very happy they didn't offer me the position. Interviewer was unable to understand why I would want to find a new job if I already had one, even though I explained very diplomatically that I was not happy or challenged enough in my current position I knew after that question that no matter what I said this person did not like me and I would not be offered a position. Apparently this is a normal interview process for this company, it is too bad, they have probably passed on many high quality employees.

Regional Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in West Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pilot Flying J in January 2015.

Broken

I attempted to apply for a position as a Regional Manager but the link on the job post only directed me to a Store Manager job description. Checking the company website, there wasn't even a Regional Manager job description, so I applied through the only means available: the Store Manager application process.
    A week or so later, I was emailed by a real person - thinking this is exactly the type of small, intimate organization I want to work for...and they have 650 stores! - telling me that I was not selected to move forward in the Store Manager interviews.
    Of course, I had to send a clarifying email to this real person so that he was aware that:
    A) I wasn't some super over qualified schmoe applying for a job as a Store Manager and expecting a crazy high salary. I wanted to make sure he knew what position I actually wanted.
    And;
    B) Someone was aware of the link error on their job posts...which I had seen multiples of in the time between applying and the aforementioned email. The mistake wasn't getting corrected.
    In the week(s) since I sent that email, I have heard nothing back about a Regional Manager role actually existing. Unless you count the continued job posts for a Regional Manager that still link to the Store Manager job description.
    Maybe this is exactly the type of company I don't want to work for...that's the type of company that got me into this unemployment situation in the first place.

Interview Questions
    • The most challenging aspect of interviewing with this company is figuring out how to get through their own dysfunction.   View Answer

Maintenance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ontario, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Ontario, OR

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Pilot Flying J in January 2015.

The interview was short and I was asked basic questions. The questions were very easy to answer and both interviewers were polite and friendly throughout the process. I left with the feeling that it had gone very well and that they had asked enough about me to really get an understanding of the type of employee I would be for them.

Interview Questions
    • What separates you apart from other individuals who have applied?   Answer Question

Guest Service Leader Interview

I was already working in a position within the store. The regional manager never called, came by or even so much as emailed when I was ready for promotion. They gave a minimal raise for the two step promotion.

Interview Questions
    • It would have been nice to have an actual conversation with the Regional Manager during the 7 weeks from receiving paperwork for background check, through the training and post training. Absolutely no conversations, emails, or reflection of training.   Answer Question
    I took the promotion unaware of the actual raise, I was told we would discuss after training, it appeared on first check in training, when I asked to discuss the amount with the regional, I was told he would revisit post training, NEVER happened. Every attempt I made to actually speak to the Regional Manager, was in vain he didn't return emails or calls.

Retail Sales Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Pilot Flying J in December 2014.

1st phone interview was cancelled by e-mail 5 minutes after phone interview should have begun. The ensuing 2nd phone interview was 40 minutes late.
    The face to face on premise interview was more productive. General Manager interviewed me 1st for about 30 minutes or so. A very good discussion we had. She introduced me to her Manager 1 of the Retail Store and he interviewed me for about 20 minutes. Both very good and productive interviews. Interview was the day after Christmas and I should be hearing about another interview, unfortunately after the New Year's Holiday. It seemed clear to me, the 3rd interview was going to be more of the position and rate that I would be offered!

Interview Questions
    • There were 3 questions that were unexpected, 1 about how I was able as a manager to get along so well with my employee's and what I did with the 1 I couldn't get along with. I don't like to talk about myself, the other 2 questions were name 3 things good and 3 things bad about myself...   View Answer

Logistics Coordinator Interview

The whole process took less than two weeks. There was one interview, and an online personality/IQ test. The interview lasted about 45 minutes. It was fairly laid back, it was more of a conversation where they tried to find out about what kind of person I was. There were not really any 'tough' questions. The online test took about a 90 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • 'How do you respond to stressful situations? Give an example'   View Answer

Retail Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Pilot Flying J in October 2014.

Received an e-mail from a Pilot Flying j recruiter asking for available times within the next 10 business days for a phone interview. Replied to the recruiter and set the time and date. When the recruiter called, he was very short and rude with me saying he was extremely busy and he could only give me 15 minutes "Since we are hiring so many new people." This should have been my first clue. He started with my work history and about a minute into my conversation he said "hold on my boss is calling" and abruptly put me on hold.

When he returned after a couple of minutes, he began to ask me questions why I had left my previous jobs. This was the entire focus of the rest of the very short interview. I had been with one of my previous employers for almost 12 years and when he began to inquire about this position his tone and attitude became very rude, accusatory and aggressive. I explained that there was limited opportunity to advance and my career had become stagnant, so wanting more opportunity, I opened my own business. His reply was "I don't understand? I have been here 23 years and I'm happy with my job. I don't want more or to go anywhere else, so what was the real reason?" Really? This is a professional recruiter with a multi-billion dollar company? As if he and I had the same aspirations, motivation and drive for success. Not a single inquiry about responsibilities, management style, accomplishments, or behavioral questions. I have been terminated from 1 job in my 30 year working history and had never been with any organization less than 4 years. My reason for leaving in each and every case was a desire to better my position, income or opportunity. His focus was directed towards why I left and that was all. Oh, and during our 15-20 minutes, he put me on hold a second time for 3-4 minutes again.

This is the most unprofessional interview I have ever been a part of and could not see myself working for this company. I can only imagine the rest of the management structure within this organization if this is the pipeline that feeds their hiring.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, just awkward, rude, condescending, aggressive and accusatory. Very short.   Answer Question

Corporate Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Pilot Flying J.

Three interviews, just getting to know you they asked allot of personal questions about traveling away from family. If you work with other managers and willing to train other employees. Tell us about your previous employer and what would they think of you.

Below expectations

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pilot Flying J.

Everything went well I was selected for final interview with the Area Manager. The area manager seem to be racist as he told me to clean shave as he knew that it is because of a religious belief and my bear was not even two inches long. Discrimination!!!!!!! LOSERS!!!

Software Engineer/Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pilot Flying J in September 2014.

The interview consisted of 4 technical assessments, a technical interview over the phone, and 6 personality assessments all before a personal on-site interview was conducted. The personal on-site interview included a panel of 6 people with an hour of rapid fire questions about my work history followed by 3 whiteboard questions, of which 1 was solving a problem using pseudo-code, one was database centered, and one was a brain teaser.

Before the personal interview had begun, I was ready to decline any offer based solely on the corporate culture communicated to me by former employees of the company; however, the fact that, during the whiteboard questions, the interviewers had several short discussions about work which did not pertain to the interview and at one point interviewers were entering and exiting the room as they pleased solidified my resolve to decline any offer. in addition to this when asked about what tools they used for continuous integration, automated testing, and automated builds, they said they had none and seemed unconcerned that these were not being performed. It also seemed to me that they were unconcerned as to whether unit testing was being done at all.

In the end, they did not move forward with an offer. The reasons given were that I expressed a desire to move away from desktop application development (note that the position was advertised as a web application development position) and that I did not spend any time out of work developing software gratis.

Overall, the entire interview process was excessively long, excruciating, and demeaning.

Interview Questions
    • Supply a method that decides if a given string is a palindrome.   View Answer
    • There are 3 boxes. One has blue marbles. One has white marbles. One has both color marbles. All boxes are incorrectly labeled. Each box has a crank which dispenses exactly one marble at a time. what is the minimum number of times a crank must be turned in order to determine the correct labels for the boxes?   View Answer