Pilot Flying J Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

2.4

Retail Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Pilot Flying J (Cartersville, GA) in August 2014.

Interview

Very detailed review so hopefully this will help some people out. The online application had questions you'd expect for such a position. I put down my start date (end of month) as well as my available hours and that once I start an internship in the fall, I'd only be able to work evenings and weekends. I applied on Friday and got a call Monday to come in for an interview. I went in for the interview later that afternoon. The manager that was supposed to interview me wasn't there so it ended up being another supervisor. We sat in the McDonald's next door which I thought was odd but I soon found out why. More on that in a minute. The interview was easy, way too easy. I've worked for two major retailers and even their lowest positions had more in depth interviews than this one. The only interview-type questions were "tell me about yourself" and "tell me about a time you dealt with an angry customer." We talked about my availability, where I reiterated I couldn't start for 3 weeks. There was never an official offer, just "when can you fill out paperwork?" She didn't know when I should come back so she said she'd call me in a couple hours. She did and we set up a time this morning. This is when I found out why interviews are held in the McDonald's. I walked through the nice, clean store back to the office. It was disgusting. The floor was filthy, the chairs were ripped and dirty, the printer was covered in some kind of gunk. The lady (same one who interviewed me) was on the phone and told me to wait a minute. I realized that it was a personal call, not work-related. She finally got off of it and took me back to a kiosk to do new hire electronic paperwork. Again, disgusting. It was in a tiny room with the dryers. There was a trucker bringing in his laundry and he could barely squeeze in (he was very nice, I have a feeling the customers would've been the only positive). The kiosk was filthy, I didn't even want to touch the keyboard. I filled out typical tax forms but when I went to print copies for my own records, the printer was out of ink and paper. I went back to the office where, once again, the lady was on her phone, complaining and cussing to someone. I'm not a prude, bad language doesn't usually offend me but it should be a no no in the workplace. I had to wait a good 15 minutes before she finally hung up. Then she didn't know the password to the HR system so she had someone else call an ex-manager for it. She's finally entering everything into the system when she informs me that I'll start this Thursday. Umm, no. I reminded her of my available date and she looked shocked, "I don't remember talking about that." Well, yes we did and it was on my application. Then she asked why. I felt like that was personal and really none of her business. She said she couldn't put me in as starting that late so she'd talk to the new manager about it in 2 weeks. The final red flag went up and I said "thanks but no thanks." I just needed a temporary, part-time job so I wasn't too picky but I knew this would be bad for any period of time. I don't put much stock in online reviews but I wish I'd listened to the ones on here and not wasted my time. To sum it up in two words: unprofessional and disgusting.

Interview Questions

Unprofessional leadership and disgusting employee areas.

Maintenance Interview

Interview

very profesional in the interview process the manager was professiona; very prompt in making a decision and punctual in sending a return call i would recommend this employer to anyone serious about providing good customer service

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Pilot Flying J (Castaic, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

Just talk a lot about customer service or talk about the general manager hometown "Kentucky" and you're in same-day. As long as you are an republican and willing to press your lips on the general manager behind you have a job.

Interview Questions

• there is know difficult questions your basically hired on the spot   Answer Question

Retail Cashier/Maintenance Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Pilot Flying J (Vandalia, OH) in July 2014.

Interview

Applied online and was called to set up an interview the next day. Arrived for interview around 10 minutes early. Met with the manager of the store and we conducted the interview inside the Subway (which I thought was kind of weird.) The Manager was very nice and the interview was very easy. In the 10 minute interview, we discussed my employment history, why I left previous employers, my experience level, and what I knew about the company. At the end of the interview, he said that he would contact me Friday (Interviewed on Wednesday) with a decision, because he still had a few more interviews to conduct. Overall, the interview was very easy and quick.

Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Pilot Flying J.

Interview

Took about three weeks. Was first contacted by a recruiter over the phone, then set up with an interview with the district manager of that area (I was interviewing for a location that was still in construction). He pushed me forward to an interview with my soon-to-be General Manager. Process was fair, and pay was comparable to the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when had to manage a difficult associate   Answer Question

Cashier and Cinnabon Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Pilot Flying J (Gary, IN) in June 2014.

Interview

I had to waIt for the manager who was very friendly, she asked me a lot of questions and asked me to tell her about myself, she then had me shadow employees as they worked and then shook my hand and said she'd call if interested.

Negotiation

no negotiation

Restaurant General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Pilot Flying J in June 2014.

Interview

The company needs to be more accurate in the jobs they post. I recently applied for a Restaurant General Manager. When I was already into the interview he rudely corrected me that the position he was interviewing was not the one I applied for. Very unprofessional for the biggest truck stop chain in the country. Appears like they are going to be critical of employee responsibilities and lax/disorganized about their responsibilities to the people who work for them.

Interview Questions

• No difficult or unexpected questions. He just asked about my past work history and what I know about the company.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Pilot Flying J (New Braunfels, TX) in June 2014.

Interview

received a phone call from a recruiter who offered me a job less than what I was applying for and sarcastically said "why would you want that position" and then basically question my pay from previous employers. needles to say I didn't pursue such a negative experience

Interview Questions

• Really the whole 3 minutes of the sarcastic interview was myself defending what I made at a previous employer and why would I want to advance!!   Answer Question

Retail Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pilot Flying J (Jackson, TN).

Interview

Had to wait for the interviewer 40 minutes longer than the 10 minute interview lasted. Very fast and asked basic interview questions: When is your availability, asked about previous work experience.

Co-Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Pilot Flying J.

Interview

Submitted app was contacted by O'tool