Piper Jaffray Interview Questions

Updated May 10, 2015

2.9

Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Piper Jaffray (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

Basically a generic phone interview then on campus interview at the location. The call was 30 minutes while the on campus was an hour long. The whole process was very smooth, however they do ask you to be alright with a low wage before they continue the interview process.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Piper Jaffray in January 2015.

Interview

Brief phone interview with HR rep, then invited to an in-person interview a week later.

I arrived at the office 5 minutes before my interview and checked in with reception and asked for the HR rep, as I was told. I waited and waited and waited in the lobby for the hiring manager to come...she was about 15 minutes late.

Interview went fine -- I walked away thinking I did really well and would've been a good fit. The hiring manager mentioned that there would be another person I'd need to interview with, should I make it to the next round.

I sent thank you emails that very afternoon. But I never heard back. No form email, no phone call, nothing.I can see not following up with every single candidate who applies online and never makes it to even a phone screen, but when you get this far in the process -- to the in-person interview, where a candidate needs to take time off of work to come in -- not following up is flat-out unprofessional.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Piper Jaffray (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

First round fit interview followed by superday. I was selected through on campus recruiting and contacted for a first round interview shortly after. HR department is good - they were swift in returning my emails and phone calls. Piper is a good hiring process. Just be prepared to the letter for the expected questions and you should be just fine.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Piper Jaffray in October 2014.

Interview

Pretty straightforward. Resume drop, first round phone interview with HR, superday in the office with a bunch of 2-on-1s. The interview was mainly fit, which makes sense because they have a smaller workforce. There were some tough questions but I never felt like they were being mean, they just want to see how you can articulate your thoughts and handle pressure.

Interview Questions

• How do you determine the right discount rate for a firm other than WACC?   Answer Question

Equity Research Interview

Interview

Recruiter contacted me relatively late while I had another offer lined up, however I did decide to interview. I had three interviews: phone, face-to-face with analyst, and final round with senior analyst on the phone.

IT Support Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Piper Jaffray.

Interview

You really have to be patient about the interview process. It takes about a few weeks for the two phones interview and eventually a face to face interview is scheduled.

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Piper Jaffray in April 2014.

Interview

Called after about 2 weeks I applied from recruiter asking some brief questions then introduced me to interview process. Had an hour long interview - first half hour with sales assistant and the second half hour is with an underwriter. Talked to me about the culture and my responsibilities. The "test" was a written question regarding a bond amortization schedule. I completed that in about a day and handed it unsure. I was then told that I had a phone interview with upper-level management and he asked me the basic questions of "Why Piper" and "Why this industry".

Interview Questions

• I was given a written "test" on amortization schedule for bonds. Even employer said that not many people get it right at all.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Flat rate for all interns.

Fixed Income Sales Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Piper Jaffray (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2014.

Interview

I began talking to the firm about a year ago and shadowed the firm. I sent in the application in December and and interviewed with the firm in February. I accepted the job on march 6th. The interview process was pretty simple. A VP game in and we went through my resume, and talked about why I want to be in fixed income and how I would be a good fit.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you would fit in here in Fixed Income?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Piper Jaffray (Charlotte, NC) in February 2014.

Interview

I had a two on one interview with two analysts. The interview was all fit, no technical questions were asked. It lasted about half an hour and both interviewers were extremely nice. Good experience overall.

Interview Questions

• All fit questions about my resume and why I am interested.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Piper Jaffray (Minneapolis, MN) in January 2014.

Interview

They asked a number of technical questions about: dcf, comps, analysis, data analysis, transactions, premiums, working cap, equity market, credit markets, M&A.... everything under the sun. And the whole time it was just question after question about technical information. And the interview process was pretty straight forward. You know, your typical IB interview process, but stress on technicals