Piper Jaffray

Updated Nov 21, 2014

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Piper Jaffray in October 2014.

First round fit interview followed by superday. I was selected through on campus recruiting and contacted for a first round interview shortly after. HR department is good - they were swift in returning my emails and phone calls. Piper is a good hiring process. Just be prepared to the letter for the expected questions and you should be just fine.

Investment Banking SA Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Piper Jaffray in October 2014.

Pretty straightforward. Resume drop, first round phone interview with HR, superday in the office with a bunch of 2-on-1s. The interview was mainly fit, which makes sense because they have a smaller workforce. There were some tough questions but I never felt like they were being mean, they just want to see how you can articulate your thoughts and handle pressure.

Interview Questions
    • How do you determine the right discount rate for a firm other than WACC?   Answer Question

Equity Research Interview

Recruiter contacted me relatively late while I had another offer lined up, however I did decide to interview. I had three interviews: phone, face-to-face with analyst, and final round with senior analyst on the phone.

IT Support Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Piper Jaffray.

You really have to be patient about the interview process. It takes about a few weeks for the two phones interview and eventually a face to face interview is scheduled.

Fixed Income Sales, Trading, Underwriting Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Piper Jaffray in April 2014.

Called after about 2 weeks I applied from recruiter asking some brief questions then introduced me to interview process. Had an hour long interview - first half hour with sales assistant and the second half hour is with an underwriter. Talked to me about the culture and my responsibilities. The "test" was a written question regarding a bond amortization schedule. I completed that in about a day and handed it unsure. I was then told that I had a phone interview with upper-level management and he asked me the basic questions of "Why Piper" and "Why this industry".

Interview Questions
    • I was given a written "test" on amortization schedule for bonds. Even employer said that not many people get it right at all.   View Answer
    Flat rate for all interns.

Fixed Income Sales Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Piper Jaffray in March 2014.

I began talking to the firm about a year ago and shadowed the firm. I sent in the application in December and and interviewed with the firm in February. I accepted the job on march 6th. The interview process was pretty simple. A VP game in and we went through my resume, and talked about why I want to be in fixed income and how I would be a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you would fit in here in Fixed Income?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Piper Jaffray in February 2014.

I had a two on one interview with two analysts. The interview was all fit, no technical questions were asked. It lasted about half an hour and both interviewers were extremely nice. Good experience overall.

Interview Questions
    • All fit questions about my resume and why I am interested.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Piper Jaffray in January 2014.

They asked a number of technical questions about: dcf, comps, analysis, data analysis, transactions, premiums, working cap, equity market, credit markets, M&A.... everything under the sun. And the whole time it was just question after question about technical information. And the interview process was pretty straight forward. You know, your typical IB interview process, but stress on technicals

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Piper Jaffray in October 2013.

Applied through on-campus recruiting, had 1st round interview. Was called back for superday that same week. Flew up to SF and interviewed with 9 MD's, 1 associate and 1 analyst. All interviews were 2v1.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through a DCF.
      What is the cost of money?
      How does $x depreciation effect the 3 statements?

Answer Question

Equity Research Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Piper Jaffray.

I was very disappointed with the interview process at Piper Jaffray. I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter a few days later. I had an initial screening call with the recruiter later that week (after being rescheduled once) and then was set up to talk to the senior analyst I'd be working with the next week. She also had to reschedule once but we ended up having a great conversation and talked about next steps. I didn't hear back for a week so I emailed the analyst to follow up, no response. I waited another week before emailing the recruiter, no response. The recruiter called the next week to tell me that the senior analyst "really, really liked" me and thought I'd be a "great fit" and to ask my exact birth date so they could purchase a plane ticket to fly me in for a day of in-person interviews. Less than 24 hours later the recruiter called back to say they were not moving forward with me after all, with no explanation. I was shocked after her very positive feedback the day before and attempted to follow up with senior analyst, but again, she never returned my email or voicemail.

Interview Questions
    • Piper wouldn't have been able to exactly match my current salary but it was a bit of a career change for me and I told 2 different people 3 different times that I was fine with it. They apparently preferred to speculate about it being an issue for me rather than take my explanations at face value. Not a difficult question but definitely the most frustrating part of the interview process.   Answer Question