Piper Jaffray Interview Questions

Updated Sep 24, 2014
Updated Sep 24, 2014

Equity Research Interview

Recruiter contacted me relatively late while I had another offer lined up, however I did decide to interview. I had three interviews: phone, face-to-face with analyst, and final round with senior analyst on the phone.

IT Support Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Piper Jaffray.

You really have to be patient about the interview process. It takes about a few weeks for the two phones interview and eventually a face to face interview is scheduled.

Fixed Income Sales, Trading, Underwriting Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Piper Jaffray in April 2014.

Called after about 2 weeks I applied from recruiter asking some brief questions then introduced me to interview process. Had an hour long interview - first half hour with sales assistant and the second half hour is with an underwriter. Talked to me about the culture and my responsibilities. The "test" was a written question regarding a bond amortization schedule. I completed that in about a day and handed it unsure. I was then told that I had a phone interview with upper-level management and he asked me the basic questions of "Why Piper" and "Why this industry".

Interview Questions
    • I was given a written "test" on amortization schedule for bonds. Even employer said that not many people get it right at all.   View Answer
    Flat rate for all interns.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Piper Jaffray in February 2014.

I had a two on one interview with two analysts. The interview was all fit, no technical questions were asked. It lasted about half an hour and both interviewers were extremely nice. Good experience overall.

Interview Questions
    • All fit questions about my resume and why I am interested.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Piper Jaffray in January 2014.

They asked a number of technical questions about: dcf, comps, analysis, data analysis, transactions, premiums, working cap, equity market, credit markets, M&A.... everything under the sun. And the whole time it was just question after question about technical information. And the interview process was pretty straight forward. You know, your typical IB interview process, but stress on technicals

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Piper Jaffray in October 2013.

Applied through on-campus recruiting, had 1st round interview. Was called back for superday that same week. Flew up to SF and interviewed with 9 MD's, 1 associate and 1 analyst. All interviews were 2v1.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through a DCF.
      What is the cost of money?
      How does $x depreciation effect the 3 statements?
        Answer Question

Equity Research Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Piper Jaffray.

I was very disappointed with the interview process at Piper Jaffray. I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter a few days later. I had an initial screening call with the recruiter later that week (after being rescheduled once) and then was set up to talk to the senior analyst I'd be working with the next week. She also had to reschedule once but we ended up having a great conversation and talked about next steps. I didn't hear back for a week so I emailed the analyst to follow up, no response. I waited another week before emailing the recruiter, no response. The recruiter called the next week to tell me that the senior analyst "really, really liked" me and thought I'd be a "great fit" and to ask my exact birth date so they could purchase a plane ticket to fly me in for a day of in-person interviews. Less than 24 hours later the recruiter called back to say they were not moving forward with me after all, with no explanation. I was shocked after her very positive feedback the day before and attempted to follow up with senior analyst, but again, she never returned my email or voicemail.

Interview Questions
    • Piper wouldn't have been able to exactly match my current salary but it was a bit of a career change for me and I told 2 different people 3 different times that I was fine with it. They apparently preferred to speculate about it being an issue for me rather than take my explanations at face value. Not a difficult question but definitely the most frustrating part of the interview process.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Piper Jaffray.

Interviewer was late two times and canceled. Was not notified until at least two hours after each interview time. Recruiter apologized and when I had the final interview, it seemed rushed. They spent maybe fifteen minutes going over very common questions. Considering the fact that they are considered a prestigious company and they definitely have an air of elitism, I found the interview process ridiculously simple and easy. You would think they have some sort of skills and aptitude test to further determine abilities, especially in the technical sense (Excel, Access, etc). Additionally, though the environment at Piper Jaffray may be quick, it is rushed, hurried, and inefficient. The interview process should shed a lot of light on the results-oriented environment at Piper. Funny thing is, that result seems to be rarely reached.

Interview Questions
    • None. Maybe what is your weakness? Since they are such a fast paced company, I went with the answer "I can't relax, I feel like I always have to work more." yadda yadda   Answer Question

Better job offer elsewhere.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Very friendly process. I had practically no finance experience and Piper was my first finance interview of the banking recruiting process. I learned a lot in their process, actually, since each interviewer asked similar questions to his or her predecessor. The advantage was that if I screwed up in one interview, I would know the right answer in the next. They're completely okay with you making mistakes so long as you're open to learning. Personality mattered a ton -- I really, really liked those folks.

Interview Questions
    • One of my interviewers was a former economics PhD student, and we went way into the theory behind the risk free rate   Answer Question

Offer from a bulge bracket

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Piper Jaffray in January 2013.

Straight forward, just a few rounds and focus. kinow your resume inside and out and enjou the process as it goes by.Be sure to have fun and dont let it control you if you feel you are doing badly; It is jsut part of the experience to jump through highly presured hoops and once it ends you will see the light.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through your resume. Then asking ridiculous questions. Why Piper Jaffray and why in the middle market. What opportunities do you see here and where do you see yourself in 10 years. What are some interesting deals you have heard of involving us and what would you do the same   View Answer
    Straight forward. Not too much to negotiate as it is banking and pretty standard across the board

Worked for Piper Jaffray? Contribute to the Community!