PitchBook

Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Writer Interview

Financial Writer
Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at PitchBook in September 2012.

Interview Details – The entire process took a week from the submission of my resume to signing an offer. The on-site interview was extremely long. I interviewed with 5 different people, including the CEO, and took the Caliper, which takes forever. I got a parking ticket because my meter expired and I didn't want to leave the interview to add time to it.

Interview Question – "If you were a fruit, which one would you be?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I refused to provide my salary history because the startup I worked for before this job had no money and sometimes paid me in trade/food vouchers, or "forgot" to pay me altogether. I also had random/odd jobs during grad school, which didn't pay well, but I didn't think that should be an indication of what I'm worth. The recruiter (who is no longer with the company) didn't like that, but I held my ground. I was able to negotiate my salary to about 15% higher than what they initially offered.

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at PitchBook in June 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview followed by in person 1:1 and meeting with CEO. Skills test. Standard interview BS--what is private equity? What do you know about it? Really, middle of the road questions. Met

Interview Question – What was the hardest challenge you've faced? How did you deal with it? Not the most unexpected question, but perhaps the most annoying.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager
Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PitchBook.

Interview Details – The initial communication was started with a current employee I have known for several years. I had three interviews with the team and my initial perception was that the people at PitchBook are incredibly smart, focused and friendly. This was confirmed as I have been working with the company for close to a year now. The office culture can't be beat and the location is amazing.

Interview Question – Do you feel prepared to work in a fast paced, start up environment?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The negotiation went well and I was very happy with the outcome.

Marketing Communications Associate Interview

Marketing Communications Associate
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at PitchBook in May 2014.

Interview Details – HR responded quickly to schedule a phone interview. The HR manager was both friendly and smart and was a welcome change from most of my other "corporate style" phone interviews. At the end of the call, I had a good understanding of the office culture and the job responsibilities and was even more excited about the opportunity to work at PitchBook.

Interview Questions

• From your perspective, what is the difference between btob and btoc copy writing?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you were on a team, what was your role and what did you learn?   Answer Question

Marketing Position Interview

Marketing Position

I applied online and interviewed at PitchBook.

Interview Details – Applied online, and quickly was given a phone interview. Phone interview was standard enough -- questions about experience, knowledge of the industry and company, etc. Was then emailed to set up a time to come into the office and meet the team, and that's when things went off the rails.

I provided the HR rep with times I was available, and never heard back. So, a week-and-a-half later, I emailed again to check in and see if we could try again to set something up. Once again, the rep asked for available times and they were provided. Another two weeks went by before being emailed again to make another attempt at setting up an in-person interview, and almost 72 hours later, I've yet to hear back for that, as well.

Interview Question – Nothing particular.   Answer Question

Director of Business Development Interview

Director of Business Development

I applied online and interviewed at PitchBook.

Interview Details – Met with VP of Sales and CEO. Very straightforward

Interview Question – Very straightforward other than it seemed like they were more interested in convincing me that the company was worth working for than vetting me as an employee.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pretty much got shot down on every request I made.

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PitchBook.

Interview Details – 2 Phone Interviews
In person interview with 3 Associates

Interview Question – Tell me everything you know about Private Equity (so vague)   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PitchBook in December 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty intense. There was an initial interview that covered my background, base knowledge of the VC/PE industry, level of interest, culture fit, etc. The next step was a series of interviews. There were 3 individuals who came through one at a time to interview for 3 hours all at one time. At the end, there was a Caliper test given that took about 2 hours to finish. I also met with the CEO at the end of the interview for about 10 minutes.

Interview Question – Describe a process that I have improved upon in a past position. How did I come up with it? Is the process still in implementation? How would I do it differently today?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Use your past experience and education to negotiate salary and bonus.

Marketing Position Interview

Marketing Position

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at PitchBook.

Interview Details – Started off with the CEO contacting me via LinkedIn, then a HR representative called me for a phone interview. Met for two interviews afterwards, then took a personality test. Had no response from them after that. I called, e-mailed, and nothing. Very unprofessional. Don't have people wait around, just tell them no

Interview Question – What do you know about venture capital?   Answer Question

PitchBook Response

May 15, 2013Talent Development Manager

We apologize that we missed following up with you, and welcome you to reach out to us directly to share your concern. We strive for a positive candidate experience every time, and would be happy to ... More

Client Development Associate Interview

Client Development Associate
Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at PitchBook in April 2013.

Interview Details – My experience with the PitchBook interview process was nothing short of ideal.

I spent 4 hours meeting with a variety of associates: HR, managers, individuals I'd be training with, and associates currently in the role. I found the latter to be most helpful, as they were candid in giving me a keen sense of day-to-day. The interview ended with a personality/ logic test. All conversations were comfortable and positive. Genuinely nice people.

The following week, they invited me back for interviews with the CEO and VP of Sales. Both conversations felt natural and very few behavioral questions were asked.

The HR department was incredibly responsive throughout the 2 weeks. I felt comfortable asking questions.

Overall, I'd describe my interviews as professional, friendly, and insightful. The timely responses from HR were especially convenient.

Interview Question – If your manager asked you to handle a situation a certain way, but you did not agree, how would you address it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Fair. This role has commission incentive, so not much negotiation potential. HR was available for questions (via phone/ email) at all hours - even on weekends!

Interviews for Top Jobs at PitchBook

Worked for PitchBook? Contribute to the Community!