PitchBook Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2015

Business Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PitchBook (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I applied online and got an HR phone call interview a couple of weeks after submitting. The online application was pretty simple and much is simply fill in the blanks if you have a fully updated linkedin. Pretty straightforward, although the conversation was pretty scripted. Got through the phone call but was informed the company was going to continue on with other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions: why finance? why sales? what is private equity and venture capital? what do you understand Pitchbook does?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PitchBook.

Interview

Had a great interview experience and met some very nice people who worked there. It went very positively over all. I got a tour of their office and got a sense of what the company is like as a culture. Spoke to 4 people and they each had a lot to say about PitchBook as a company and what it's like to work there.

Marketing Interview

Interview

Average interview. Interviewer said she wanted me to meet with more team members and thought I was a great fit. Then I never heard back - even after I emailed 3 times. Just follow through... it really is that simple.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at PitchBook (Seattle, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

I was contacted rather quickly for a phone interview after I submitted my resume thinking "wow, the recruiter is on point". It took us a bit over week before we could schedule anything because she was out of the office for a week. The phone interview was smooth and very pleasant. Over a week later I got called in for in-house interview with 2 team leads followed by the Director of Research and it was capped with a caliper/personality test. The interviews were very informational. They asked relevant and challenging questions. The Director really tested my knowledge on data analysis and finance based on an analysis that I've done before. My only disappointment with the process is that after the interview the recruiter told me that I will hear back by early next week, but came Wednesday next week I got an email from the recruiter saying that the hiring team is busy and will let me know final decisions "no later than Friday". Friday came and I heard nothing. I followed up next Monday only to be again told that the team was busy and that the decisions will be made soon and I will be informed as soon as possible. It wasn't until Wednesday that I received a generic email saying basically "thank you, but we don't want you at this time". There wasn't even any acknowledgement that I was being made to wait for longer than promised, or that they had not being competent enough to make decisions within their own promised timeline. I can say that the people there are great from my observation. The company and its product seem great, but they really need to be a little more considerate of their candidates.

Interview Questions

• What do you bring to the table?   1 Answer
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at PitchBook.

Interview

The interview was ok, kind of disorganized. The people I were originally supposed to meet decided to take their time walking back from another meeting and made me wait 20 min. Then the recruiter came back into the room to tell me that they would not be making it and had two random employees conduct the interview. They were very kind and professional. Overall it was a ok experience. Did not get the job, rather a messy email with no professional courtesy, saying that they moved on to other clients.

Interview Questions

• Talk about you knowledge about what venture capitalist companies do.   1 Answer

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at PitchBook (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

After reading the reviews on here I wasn't sure what to expect getting on the phone with the sr. recruiter. I was pleasantly surprised to find a bubbly voice on the other end. She asked me how my day was going and then she told me what to expect on the call (most places don't do that). It was a pretty standard interview with some more difficult questions thrown in. I didn't know much about PE/VC going into the call but the recruiter was able to explain it to me very well. I had a very long list of questions for her and she took the time to answer all of them in depth. I had the interview on a monday and was told by the end of the week she would be in touch. Friday afternoon I received a very nice email saying they were moving forward with other candidates. My experience was very positive even though it didn't work out, I think many people write reviews that are upset they didn't get a job.

Customer Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at PitchBook (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone interview: The HR person spoke extremely fast, I could barely follow her questions. The usual interview questions. The funny thing with those untrained HR people is you ask them a general question about the company and they give you a totally unrelated answer!!

Data Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PitchBook.

Interview

Horrible experience. On the phone interview, the recruiter was an hr and a half late, but I was nice enough and waited till the recruiter was free to talk to me. A week later the recruiter emailed me to come into the office for an in person interview, I responded to her email 3 times to let her know my time availability, I didnt hear back from her till a week and a half later. That following week I came in for the in person interview. First round was with two employees on the research team, the interview was about 30 minutes. I was supposed to have a second interview with the director of research right after but the recruiter told me the director got stuck in a meeting and I had to come in another day for a follow up interview. I did not hear from the recruiter till a week later and she told me they decided to go with another candidate. I think the whole interview process was total BS especially when I know I was well qualified for this entry level position. The company probably just wanted to hire someone with less experience so they can low ball them on their salary. Complete waste of time, the recruiters are unprofressional and unorganized. Do not bother wasting your time applying to this company

Data Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PitchBook in March 2015.

Interview

The first step is an interview with HR. It's more of a chance for them to talk more about the company and the role. This is a relatively easy and simple interview, and I thought it went fairly well. The next round is another set of phone interviews with two more people. It's been a while so I don't remember what exactly their roles were, but one of the people that interviewed me had not been working there for too long, and seemed rather uninterested. He gave me really brief and vague answers, and just seemed so unhappy to be talking to me. This obviously did not leave me with a very positive impression of the company. The questions were not too difficult though and most of them are aligned with what can be found on here actually.

Interview Questions

• In your own words, what is Venture Capital and Private Equity? What do you know about PitchBook?   Answer Question

Client Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at PitchBook (Seattle, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied and got contact by the recruiter to set up a phone interview. Did an initial phone screen with a recruiter and then I did another phone interview with the manager of the team. After that I went to the office and interviewed again with another individual. Basically just meeting the team of people to make sure it was a good fit for everyone.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about VC and PE? Why do you want to work at Pitchbook? Describe a time where you dealt with an unruly customer, and how did you fix the situation? Background on account management roles   Answer Question