Pitney Bowes

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Pitney Bowes in October 2013.

First contact I received from them was a phone screening, this was about 3 weeks after submitting my resume and letters of recommendation to their web site. I was asked to attend an interview in 1 week.

I arrived at the interview and found it to be a "job fair" in which 10 ladies were at, we all thought it odd. I was called back to my individual interview with a very nice lady. She asked me behavioral and situation questions "Tell me a time when you dealt with a difficult customer?" Tell me your favorite type of boss? Tell me about your most recent boss? How have you handled conflict in a team setting? Tell me a time you went above and beyond for a customer?" Anyways, this went on for about an hour. She asked me to stay for a 2nd interview right away so I stayed.

Half an hour later, I was met by the hiring manager and she took me back for more of an abilities test. She ran the computer while I had to tell her what to click and what to type, it was odd, but it forced me to prove I could open an email, compose an email, open outlook, schedule a meeting via outlook calendar ect. So then I was sent home.

I got another call a week later to come to a 3rd interview. So I show up to that one and find about 6 ladies in the same room. This interview was 6 hours long and the group stayed together. We role played being the customer and the receptionist, we learned how to register a visitor's car. We took a tour of the actual buildings and met one of the real receptionists on campus. We then finished up with all of us demonstrating our ability to schedule a meeting via outlook 2013. They were graceful about most of us having never used this version since the look of it has drastically changed. I was told I would hear back within a week, I was called the very next day with my offer. At that point begins your drug testing (pee in a cup at a testing center) and background checks. The information you gave about your work history better be perfect down to the month and up to date supervisor contact info or they send you an email that they can't verify your employment history and you better send them documentation proving your work history. This part of the process took 2 weeks. Over all from start to finish, it took 7 weeks to actually start my first day.

Interview Questions
  • During the 2nd interview, I was asked to actually write an e-mail to the woman that just interviewed me in the 1st interview. The hiring manager says "and what was her name?" in a sly way. Then the lady typed as I told her what to type, I dictated a thank you letter.   View Answer
No negotiation, not even a time to ask questions, I still don't know if I can get a day off here and there--since I am hourly and non-benefited means I work year round. I feel like a product they farm out to bigger companies, they don't really care about me. This is evidenced by the large amount of us they hired at once and that I still haven't gotten my questions answered.