Pivotal Labs

34 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Pivotal Labs.

Interview Details – Applied online, phone screening by HR person, 1-1 onsite by hiring manager. After that, I was told there would be an assignment and another much longer on-site interview. They sent me a rejection email and I really feel this company respects all candidates and their time. Gave me great impression.

Interview Question – It was casual. Was asked about which job I enjoyed most. On the other hand, I was not quite sure if consulting was what I wanted to do, and I had many questions. The hiring manger was willing to explain each of my questions.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pivotal Labs in March 2014.

Interview Details – Initially contacted by HR after submitting application through their online job portal. Set up an onsite technical interview for the beginning of the following week. Contact with the recruiter was consistent and on point.

As for the interview itself, it was exactly as others on Glassdoor had previously described: I was asked to build a Set from scratch using TDD while pair programming with the interviewer. Definitely a process unique to the Pivotal way of software development. The interviewer came across as more cold than others I've talked with. Not mean or anything, but certainly not very friendly.

Ultimately I got a response two days later saying that, while they liked me, they didn't think I had enough experience to fill the position they needed at the time. They did encourage me to reach out again after I pick up some more experience.

Interview Question – Just one: Build a Set from scratch using TDD while pair programming in a language you're unfamiliar with.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Pivotal Labs.

Interview Details – Recruiting process was very long and drawn out with huge gaps between communications from recruiters and frequent changes in contact points.

First interview was a remote pairing interview. It was a fairly simple exercise.

Second interview was again a remote pairing interview. It was longer and more detailed, but still a contrived scenario on an interview source base.

Third interview was supposed to be a full day of pairing, which was cut to a half day due to inclement weather pounding NYC. Most of the people I met were great, but pairing proved annoying at best. The interviewer/pair seemed annoyed to be working on the project we were assigned, and oscillated between overly helpful and intentionally holding back. Perhaps it was just a bad day for him or me.

Bottom line, this company requires a fairly significant time commitment to the hiring process. While there is nothing wrong with that, it is a bit annoying to have it all be wasted in a crap shoot of a single pairing exercise.

Interview Question – There were no direct questions, only assignments.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tester Interview

Tester

I applied online and interviewed at Pivotal Labs.

Interview Details – Phone/Google hangout kind of interview followed by onsite few days later.
Phone interview was simple and onsite was paired with someone .
No offer.
Asked for feedback but recruiter never got back.

Interview Question – Paired up with someone and started working along with that person.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Product Designer Interview

Product Designer

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Pivotal Labs.

Interview Details – I was originally contacted by a recruiter from Pivotal Labs. She was nice, and we spoke for maybe 10 minutes. I then had a Skype interview with the Hiring Manager two weeks later. We did a whiteboard interview, and everything went super well. He asked me to mockup the exercise, and they would fly me out to present it in person. He specifically said only to spend 8 hours on it. I did it, and I was proud of what I provided to them. Two days later, I received a generic "we've taken a pass" email. I received nothing else. 8 hours worth of work without an ounce of feedback or explanation. Needless to say, I won't be reapplying anytime soon... or ever again.

Interview Question – They really, really love ping pong. Be prepared.   Answer Question

Product Designer User Experience/UI Interview

Product Designer User Experience/UI
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pivotal Labs in February 2014.

Interview Details – I initially spoke with a recruiting firm for a brief interview screening - then I was set up to meet with a Design Director. He missed our first call so we rescheduled. We had a great call, it lasted about 30 mins and he wanted to move forward so he advised me that the recruiting firm would set up another time to meet with a design manager as well as a few others from the team and I would be asked to share my work and experience and do a design challenge.

I met with the team in the SF office, spent about an hour sharing my work and experience. We then moved onto the design challenge. My expertise is in Visual Design, not UX so I was a bit surprised on how heavily we focused on UX. I did the challenge, which was an app for ping pong players within the office. It needed ton include a leaderboard, a way of knowing if someone is available to play, and a way to record who won the game.

Interview Question – The UX heavy design challenge was unexpected, for someone who focuses more on visual design.   Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

Product Designer

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Pivotal Labs.

Interview Details – In the beginning the process seemed wonderful. They asked me to come in for an interview and I was there for multiple hours. I loved the experience. They asked me to then complete a design challenge. It took me 3 days of work and I was really proud of it. I invested a lot of time and they seemed to really like my work. I came in for a second interview and I was there for close to 5 hours, I had lunch with the team, and they asked me again if I was interested in an apprenticeship with them.

They told me that the hr lady was briefly out of town and she would be in contact with me soon. Two weeks go by and I here nothing. This is incredibly rude. I emailed them about my status and they said they're still interviewing other candidates and they'd let me know in a few days. A week and a half goes by and nothing. Finally I emailed them saying that I've waited long enough and that they need to just give me a yes or no.

They turned me down apparently because I wanted an immediate response. This is New York. It is downright immoral to delay giving me answer by a month.

Interview Question – There weren't really any.   Answer Question

Senior UI Designer Interview

Senior UI Designer

I applied online and interviewed at Pivotal Labs.

Interview Details – I felt the process was a bit disorganized. I had a phone screen which was forgotten on their behalf and later rescheduled. Then I had an in-person interview, where I was instructed to map out an app (despite the fact that I am a visual designer, and was applying for a visual design role). I was told they'd get back to me within two days; I haven't heard back (it's been several weeks now).

Interview Question – Map out the IA/user flows for an app.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Pivotal Labs

Interview Details – Applied online in the career site, get response in 2 days. Went through the first round. It was a Skype interview. The interview content is TDD and pair programming, in TDD I'm asked to build a set.
Specific question: JUnit syntax, Set's operation, the complexity analysis of dynamic array. Not hard problems, get response from them the day after.

Interview Question – nothing hard.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Pivotal Labs

Interview Details – First interview - Asked to implement a set in Java using TDD. Second interview - 4 hour coding session with actual employee on actual client work with TDD.

Interview Question – It really wasn't TDD. He kept asking questions that could have easily been tested out. Sort of a combination of things.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Pivotal Labs

Worked for Pivotal Labs? Contribute to the Community!