Pixar

Pixar Interview Questions in Emeryville, CA

2.9

Operations/Overhead Department Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Pixar.

Started out very well in the first two rounds over the phone. However, the onsite interview felt like I was talking with an entirely different company. I think there needs to be more coaching for those who will be interviewers. The behavioral and situational questions that were asked seemed incomplete with a lot of unexplained variables. Perhaps they make sense for someone already working at Pixar, but not to an outsider. This could be the reason why they have such a high time to fill rate for open positions. This one in particular has been open for over 5 months.

The second negative takeaway that I have was how long the interview process is. After interviewing for a month to get to the 3rd round interview I asked how many more rounds there were. The response I received was, that there were another 4 rounds of onsite interviews to go. Since I am currently employed, I got a little worried because anyone attempting to interview while still employed knows that there are only so many doctors appointments and sick days you can use before your manager becomes suspicious. Even though working at Pixar would have been cool and a recognizable name to have on my resume, I am relieved that I exited the interview process after only one face-to-face interview. I would have been upset had I invested anymore time or risked my own job security for another 3-4 rounds of interviews to only find out that you were not the right fit for the position.

Interview Questions
    • There were a number of behavioral/situational questions that were asked. All of them were very subjective and relied on internal company knowledge like past precedence. Although the interviewers said that there is no single "right" answer, there really is. The feeling I got was that the interviewer is looking for you to give them the same answer that they would give for the question. If you don't, you are not a match or a good fit. No thinking outside of the box.   Answer Question

Production Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pixar.

There are several rounds of interviews. First, I had to pass a phone screening which was more to confirm basic details about myself. After I passed, I was invited to the Pixar campus for a series of in person interviews. First, I interviewed with the recruiter that had initially done the phone screening. Second, I interviewed with the hiring manager. He was the most intense interviewer. Kind, but fairly serious. Lastly, I interviewed with 2 associate producers of the movie I was to work on. Both very friendly, very personable, and when I left I defintely had the impression that it had gone well.

Interview Questions
    • I was surprised at how much they wanted to know what I thought my future plans or future roles might be. They want to know what you 'd ultimately like to be doing in your career, and how Pixar might fit into that.   Answer Question

Technical Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Pixar.

The interview process was streamlined, though my reel disappeared on their side once or twice. Had to go through a phone interview, then got flown in for a full day of interviews in groups of two or three.

CV and Reel is to know whether your level of work qualifies.
    Phone interview is to get doubts out of the way and remove on any ambiguity. Hard questions here.
    On Site Interview is rather to gauge whether you are a personality match. Mostly easy and friendly. Small talk and some work related questions.

Interview Questions
    • As a large company the area of work we offer will be smaller than what you've done before. How do you feel about that?   Answer Question
    Negiate your best starting salary. Don't be afraid to ask for what you think you're worth even if it is Pixar.

Pixar University Trainer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pixar.

Pixar is filled with amazing and inspiring people. Some of them may not be very well prepared to interview. There is a broad array of needs, and they often have very specific skills requirements. As a producer of top quality work, they can afford to be picky. The interviewees consisted of many people from several facets of the group. Very thorough.

Interview Questions
    • Difficulty when interviewed by the technical artists, who sat in silence, with no questions.   Answer Question

Management Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Pixar in October 2011.

I interviewed with 9 people total. Some 1:1 some 1:2. A few of the Systems Managers I interviewed with came across as unhappy and disgruntled employees, which made the interview extremely uncomfortable. Because it is Pixar, without thinking things through, if offered the position I probably would have accepted and would have found myself surrounded by many unhappy employees. My advice is to do as much research on the departments before you apply to make sure it will be the right fit.

Macintosh Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Pixar in May 2011.

The phone screening was great and the hiring manager was very friendly and clear about the job duties and work environment. The junior recruiter I worked with was prompt and courteous but the Sr recruiter I worked with was very slow to return emails and waited 3 weeks to tell me that I hadn't been selected for the position while she was on vacation. The interview process was really well executed, I was escorted to a nice conference room and offered refreshments and different people came in to meet with me throughout a few hours time.

Interview Questions
    • Everyone I met was friendly and warm but I was asked some of the old google challenge questions like, "why is a manhole cover round" and "how many golf balls fit in a school bus" etc... I got the feeling that the guy who asked those questions just wanted to see me squirm and it felt like a waste of time.   Answer Question

Cafe Host Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Pixar in April 2011.

Worked for several months through a temp agency. Then got interviewed for the opportunity to become full-time/permanent.

Marketing & Promotions Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pixar in November 2010.

The HR rep was awesome and very friendly. The interview was difficult and stressful, but I thought I had a great chance. Oh well.

Pixar Undergraduate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Pixar in April 2010.

After sending in my resume and demo reel, I didn't hear back from them for a long time, but one day out of the blue got an email from a recruiter. Saying they wanted to do a phone screen. When they sent back the list of interviewers I became really intimidated since they were giants in their fields. During the phone screen, it was very cordial, but they asked very specific and technical questions about parts of my reel.

Pixar Undergraduate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Pixar in April 2010.

Everything went smooth with HR and I was scheduled a group phone interview with 7 TD's from within the company. The interview was intimidating and stressful, but managed to keep my cool and get through it. They asked technical questions about my reel, so know your work and know it well. Also know what you could improve on it.

Interview Questions
    • Which project (from my reel) is your favorite and what would you do to make it better?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. They payed for my housing and also a decent hourly+overtime wage.