Pixar

Relevance Date Difficulty

Operations/Overhead Department Interview

Operations/Overhead Department
Emeryville, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Pixar.

Interview Details – Started out very well in the first two rounds over the phone. However, the onsite interview felt like I was talking with an entirely different company. I think there needs to be more coaching for those who will be interviewers. The behavioral and situational questions that were asked seemed incomplete with a lot of unexplained variables. Perhaps they make sense for someone already working at Pixar, but not to an outsider. This could be the reason why they have such a high time to fill rate for open positions. This one in particular has been open for over 5 months.

The second negative takeaway that I have was how long the interview process is. After interviewing for a month to get to the 3rd round interview I asked how many more rounds there were. The response I received was, that there were another 4 rounds of onsite interviews to go. Since I am currently employed, I got a little worried because anyone attempting to interview while still employed knows that there are only so many doctors appointments and sick days you can use before your manager becomes suspicious. Even though working at Pixar would have been cool and a recognizable name to have on my resume, I am relieved that I exited the interview process after only one face-to-face interview. I would have been upset had I invested anymore time or risked my own job security for another 3-4 rounds of interviews to only find out that you were not the right fit for the position.

Interview Question – There were a number of behavioral/situational questions that were asked. All of them were very subjective and relied on internal company knowledge like past precedence. Although the interviewers said that there is no single "right" answer, there really is. The feeling I got was that the interviewer is looking for you to give them the same answer that they would give for the question. If you don't, you are not a match or a good fit. No thinking outside of the box.   Answer Question

Technical Director

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Pixar in March 2014.

Interview Details – Basically they asked a lot of details in my reel. They ask for as detailed as possible to make sure you truly did the stuff you showed in your own reel. Many question you cannot be prepared, but if you work out everything in your demo reel it will be fine .

Interview Question – how many lights did you used in your shot?   Answer Question

Richmond, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Pixar.

Interview Details – It was more than 10 years ago. I submitted my resume and demo reel through someone who worked there. After 3 months I got a phone call. In a few weeks I had my face to face interview. The interview process were about 3 - 4 hours with 3 different groups of people.

Interview Question – Thankfully my work on my demo reel was quite recent. They asked me quite a lot of technical questions about how I did certain things and I still remembered how I did it. The whole experience was quite pleasant.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – At the time I didn't have a lot of industry experience. I tried to bargain a bit more, but they didn't give it to me. Then later I heard that they had a standard pay for people fresh out of college with a master degree with no experience. My pay was slightly lower than that.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Assistant Editor/New Media Operator Interview

Assistant Editor/New Media Operator

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Pixar.

Interview Details – The process took a long time - two months. Consisted of the normal HR phone Screen, phone call w manager, than flown in for half day team meetings of 2:2 / 3:3. The first two interviews were fairly easy. the final interview was pretty tough ; though my reel wasn't looked at, a good mix of technical and personal questions. the personal questions kinda threw me off abit. (Fav movie, something not on your resume you want us to know)... Wanted to know about workflows, work enviornments of past...I felt the questions got tougher as the process went along, and I got a bit more 'nervous'. Everyone seemed really friendly & smart though. HR was very prompt along the way in getting back to me, but, they were about 2 weeks delayed for every part of the interview.

Interview Question – Do you like to rip apart a quicktime file, and know how its written + created ? Tell me something about you not on the resume that would make you stand out. Greatest challenge overcome at work.   Answer Question

Cafe Host Interview

Cafe Host
Emeryville, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Pixar in April 2011.

Interview Details – Worked for several months through a temp agency. Then got interviewed for the opportunity to become full-time/permanent.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Production Assistant Interview

Production Assistant
Emeryville, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pixar.

Interview Details – There are several rounds of interviews. First, I had to pass a phone screening which was more to confirm basic details about myself. After I passed, I was invited to the Pixar campus for a series of in person interviews. First, I interviewed with the recruiter that had initially done the phone screening. Second, I interviewed with the hiring manager. He was the most intense interviewer. Kind, but fairly serious. Lastly, I interviewed with 2 associate producers of the movie I was to work on. Both very friendly, very personable, and when I left I defintely had the impression that it had gone well.

Interview Question – I was surprised at how much they wanted to know what I thought my future plans or future roles might be. They want to know what you 'd ultimately like to be doing in your career, and how Pixar might fit into that.   Answer Question

Emeryville, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Pixar.

Interview Details – The interview process was streamlined, though my reel disappeared on their side once or twice. Had to go through a phone interview, then got flown in for a full day of interviews in groups of two or three.

CV and Reel is to know whether your level of work qualifies.
Phone interview is to get doubts out of the way and remove on any ambiguity. Hard questions here.
On Site Interview is rather to gauge whether you are a personality match. Mostly easy and friendly. Small talk and some work related questions.

Interview Question – As a large company the area of work we offer will be smaller than what you've done before. How do you feel about that?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negiate your best starting salary. Don't be afraid to ask for what you think you're worth even if it is Pixar.

Lighting Technical Director Interview

Lighting Technical Director

I applied in-person and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Pixar.

Interview Details – it took almost all day long. I met 5-6 groups and talked same things again and again. it was good to meet all most every leads and supes.

Interview Question – not much   Answer Question

Contract Work Interview

Contract Work

Interview Details – Slow and delayed over a period of months. It appears that everyone, including the HR people, are over worked.

Negotiation Details – Yes, negotiated and received the compensation requested.

Macintosh Engineer Interview

Macintosh Engineer
Emeryville, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Pixar in May 2011.

Interview Details – The phone screening was great and the hiring manager was very friendly and clear about the job duties and work environment. The junior recruiter I worked with was prompt and courteous but the Sr recruiter I worked with was very slow to return emails and waited 3 weeks to tell me that I hadn't been selected for the position while she was on vacation. The interview process was really well executed, I was escorted to a nice conference room and offered refreshments and different people came in to meet with me throughout a few hours time.

Interview Question – Everyone I met was friendly and warm but I was asked some of the old google challenge questions like, "why is a manhole cover round" and "how many golf balls fit in a school bus" etc... I got the feeling that the guy who asked those questions just wanted to see me squirm and it felt like a waste of time.   Answer Question

Worked for Pixar? Contribute to the Community!