Pixar Interview Questions

Updated Aug 19, 2015

3.1

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pixar.

Interview

After applying to many jobs, I received a call from a recruiter 4 days before my college graduation for the summer internship. She asked me a few questions to see if I was a good fit before putting me in touch with someone from HR to schedule an on-site interview which ended up being two days after the initial call. I had four interviews with teams of two, all on different projects-shorts, features, development. I was in a conference room the whole time and each team came to me, followed by a brief follow up with the recruiter. It was the most intense interview process I've experienced, but it's also the largest company I've applied for-it was the real deal and I loved every minute of it! The application process itself was about two months, but I was contacted and told I didn't get the internship within a week and a half, so once you've gotten started, it was very fast!

Interview Questions

• Many of the questions asked were really to just get to know you as a person and see how you'dd gel with the team. Regrettably, I was not as prepared as I should have been with running a major school event and finals.   Answer Question

Production Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pixar.

Interview

This was some time ago but for their internships, they conducted all phone interviews. There were 5 rounds or so, and numerous people on the line at each interview. They went around the room and each person asked you a specific question.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you worked with a difficult person and how did you manage that?   Answer Question

Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pixar (Emeryville, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Teams of interviewers come by in half hour increments and ask questions. Overall, I would say that it was very convivial. I got the sense that they figured the people they were interviewing were all qualified to do the work, and it was more a question of who fit in to the company and people the best.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pixar (Emeryville, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied two months before receiving any word from them, had a phone screening and then received a follow up a couple days later. The interview was on campus and had two rounds: the first half-hour with two employees and the second half-hour with one of them. They were very friendly, yet kept both a professional and personal atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• Qualities that college taught me that would help me with the job.\   Answer Question

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pixar in April 2015.

Interview

During the phone interview, I was told that there would be a Skype interview and then an in-person interview. The process for this job, in particular, went very quickly because of their immediate need for a PA. The Skype interview was an hour. In the first half hour, I met three people from Pixar. In the second half hour, I met three other people from Pixar. All of these people will be working on the film for which I was applying to assist and they were all very friendly. Some of the questions they asked pertained to my resume, some about my work style and how the people around me perceive me, and some about my interest in Pixar. Unfortunately, I did not get the job but they were very timely with their follow up email so I knew within a few days after the interview. The interview was difficult mostly because it was over Skype, which often doesn't allow for a real connection.

Interview Questions

• 1. What was a mistake you have made and how did you go about fixing it (or perhaps not fix it)?   Answer Question
    • 2. What is a task that you had to teach yourself recently while completing it?   Answer Question
    • 3. Please go into further detail about such and such on your resume.   Answer Question
    • 4. With what type of supervisor do you work best?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Pixar (Emeryville, CA).

Interview

The interview process took about 2 hours long. I met with 3 different people. 1) recruiter, interviewed for about 30 minutes. Basically going over my resume and experience 2) HR Manager, interviewed for about 45 minutes going over my resume, experience and job description 3) HR Manager, Benefits, interviewed for about an hour going over my experience in benefits, wellness, overall HR. My 5 year goals and why I was looking to leave my current job. She then went into detail about what the position entailed.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your experience working with coordinating benefits, how many people oversaw benefits and how many employees etc. Are you familiar with wellness programs?   Answer Question

Videographer & Documentary Assistant Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Pixar (Emeryville, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Initial phone interview with recruiter was very conversational and relaxed. We went over my resume and she asked if I had any questions, saying that she would be in touch. After a week I contacted the recruiter because I was getting other offers and they bumped up my on-site interview. On-site interview with 6 staff members, 3 meetings in teams of 2. Very relaxed and fun. I heard back within a month.

Interview Questions

Interview

This I think is the "oddest" interview experience that I've had so far: one that technically ever happened. Typically, the way I understand the job seeking process to work is like this: 1) a candidate responds to a job advertisement offered by a company, 2) the company auto-responds notifying the candidate with the usual spiel about not everyone is contacted/we'll contact you if you're a match/etc.3) At this point either you never hear back from them again (typical) or their HR contacts you to do an initial screening and things move forward (for better or worse) from there. However, I suppose there's a third type of scenario: the one in which you are being considered, but are never told until after you're not being considered any more. I received a letter concerning the Render Pipeline position and how, after careful consideration and review of other candidates, I wasn't selected. Rejection is nothing knew to me, so I was in no way upset or put off to be told as much. The thing that slightly bothered me was that I had no idea I was even being considered. It's probably juvenile, but for me it's like being invited for a party: I'd like to know I was at least invited at some point before I'm told out of the blue I'm not going to be allowed to join in the festivities. Ultimately, this isn't a "bad" experience at all, just an odd one for me and perhaps something to be aware of when it comes to applying for work with studios like Pixar. In a way, it is technically a good thing, insofar that I at least know that they will be courteous enough to let me know they did at some point look at my resume despite not being obligated to.

Interview Questions

• None...never knew I was being actively considered as a candidate.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Pixar.

Interview

I applied through my school's job portal. The interviewers came to my school and interviewed a handful of students for a variety of positions. They were very nice. One of them was a recruiter, one was a technical director, the other was an animator.

Interview Questions

• Tell me exactly what was your responsibility for this group project.   Answer Question

Undergraduate Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Pixar in January 2015.

Interview

I applied through my university's job portal and was scheduled to interview when Pixar visited my school. The recruiter was sick, so I only interviewed with the animator, but he was very friendly and nice. He gave me great advice and encouraged me to update my reel before the internship deadline. I'm not sure when to expect a response if there is one.

Interview Questions

• How did I approach animating a shot? What my process was like.   Answer Question