Pixar Interview Questions

Updated Apr 8, 2015
Updated Apr 8, 2015

3.1

Human Resources Coordinator (Wellness and Benefits) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Pixar (Emeryville, CA).

Interview

The interview process took about 2 hours long. I met with 3 different people. 1) recruiter, interviewed for about 30 minutes. Basically going over my resume and experience 2) HR Manager, interviewed for about 45 minutes going over my resume, experience and job description 3) HR Manager, Benefits, interviewed for about an hour going over my experience in benefits, wellness, overall HR. My 5 year goals and why I was looking to leave my current job. She then went into detail about what the position entailed.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your experience working with coordinating benefits, how many people oversaw benefits and how many employees etc. Are you familiar with wellness programs?   Answer Question

Render Pipeline Specialist Interview

Interview

This I think is the "oddest" interview experience that I've had so far: one that technically ever happened. Typically, the way I understand the job seeking process to work is like this: 1) a candidate responds to a job advertisement offered by a company, 2) the company auto-responds notifying the candidate with the usual spiel about not everyone is contacted/we'll contact you if you're a match/etc.3) At this point either you never hear back from them again (typical) or their HR contacts you to do an initial screening and things move forward (for better or worse) from there. However, I suppose there's a third type of scenario: the one in which you are being considered, but are never told until after you're not being considered any more.

I received a letter concerning the Render Pipeline position and how, after careful consideration and review of other candidates, I wasn't selected. Rejection is nothing knew to me, so I was in no way upset or put off to be told as much. The thing that slightly bothered me was that I had no idea I was even being considered. It's probably juvenile, but for me it's like being invited for a party: I'd like to know I was at least invited at some point before I'm told out of the blue I'm not going to be allowed to join in the festivities. Ultimately, this isn't a "bad" experience at all, just an odd one for me and perhaps something to be aware of when it comes to applying for work with studios like Pixar. In a way, it is technically a good thing, insofar that I at least know that they will be courteous enough to let me know they did at some point look at my resume despite not being obligated to.

Interview Questions

• None...never knew I was being actively considered as a candidate.   Answer Question

Pixar Undergraduate Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Pixar.

Interview

I applied through my school's job portal. The interviewers came to my school and interviewed a handful of students for a variety of positions. They were very nice. One of them was a recruiter, one was a technical director, the other was an animator.

Interview Questions

• Tell me exactly what was your responsibility for this group project.   Answer Question

Undergraduate Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Pixar in January 2015.

Interview

I applied through my university's job portal and was scheduled to interview when Pixar visited my school. The recruiter was sick, so I only interviewed with the animator, but he was very friendly and nice. He gave me great advice and encouraged me to update my reel before the internship deadline. I'm not sure when to expect a response if there is one.

Interview Questions

• How did I approach animating a shot? What my process was like.   Answer Question

Operations/Overhead Department Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Pixar (Emeryville, CA).

Interview

Started out very well in the first two rounds over the phone. However, the onsite interview felt like I was talking with an entirely different company. I think there needs to be more coaching for those who will be interviewers. The behavioral and situational questions that were asked seemed incomplete with a lot of unexplained variables. Perhaps they make sense for someone already working at Pixar, but not to an outsider. This could be the reason why they have such a high time to fill rate for open positions. This one in particular has been open for over 5 months.

The second negative takeaway that I have was how long the interview process is. After interviewing for a month to get to the 3rd round interview I asked how many more rounds there were. The response I received was, that there were another 4 rounds of onsite interviews to go. Since I am currently employed, I got a little worried because anyone attempting to interview while still employed knows that there are only so many doctors appointments and sick days you can use before your manager becomes suspicious. Even though working at Pixar would have been cool and a recognizable name to have on my resume, I am relieved that I exited the interview process after only one face-to-face interview. I would have been upset had I invested anymore time or risked my own job security for another 3-4 rounds of interviews to only find out that you were not the right fit for the position.

Interview Questions

• There were a number of behavioral/situational questions that were asked. All of them were very subjective and relied on internal company knowledge like past precedence. Although the interviewers said that there is no single "right" answer, there really is. The feeling I got was that the interviewer is looking for you to give them the same answer that they would give for the question. If you don't, you are not a match or a good fit. No thinking outside of the box.   Answer Question

Production Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pixar (San Francisco, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied through the Pixar website, and was referred from a current employee. I was contacted within a few weeks for a phone screen, and then asked to come back for an in-person interview. Someone else was hired while I was trying to schedule my in-person interview, and only found out after making many, many calls over several days.

Technical Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Pixar (Richmond, CA).

Interview

It was more than 10 years ago. I submitted my resume and demo reel through someone who worked there. After 3 months I got a phone call. In a few weeks I had my face to face interview. The interview process were about 3 - 4 hours with 3 different groups of people.

Interview Questions

• Thankfully my work on my demo reel was quite recent. They asked me quite a lot of technical questions about how I did certain things and I still remembered how I did it. The whole experience was quite pleasant.   Answer Question

Negotiation

At the time I didn't have a lot of industry experience. I tried to bargain a bit more, but they didn't give it to me. Then later I heard that they had a standard pay for people fresh out of college with a master degree with no experience. My pay was slightly lower than that.

Assistant Editor/New Media Operator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Pixar.

Interview

The process took a long time - two months. Consisted of the normal HR phone Screen, phone call w manager, than flown in for half day team meetings of 2:2 / 3:3. The first two interviews were fairly easy. the final interview was pretty tough ; though my reel wasn't looked at, a good mix of technical and personal questions. the personal questions kinda threw me off abit. (Fav movie, something not on your resume you want us to know)... Wanted to know about workflows, work enviornments of past...I felt the questions got tougher as the process went along, and I got a bit more 'nervous'. Everyone seemed really friendly & smart though. HR was very prompt along the way in getting back to me, but, they were about 2 weeks delayed for every part of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Do you like to rip apart a quicktime file, and know how its written + created ? Tell me something about you not on the resume that would make you stand out. Greatest challenge overcome at work.   Answer Question

Technical Director Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Pixar in March 2014.

Interview

Basically they asked a lot of details in my reel. They ask for as detailed as possible to make sure you truly did the stuff you showed in your own reel. Many question you cannot be prepared, but if you work out everything in your demo reel it will be fine .

Production Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pixar (Emeryville, CA).

Interview

There are several rounds of interviews. First, I had to pass a phone screening which was more to confirm basic details about myself. After I passed, I was invited to the Pixar campus for a series of in person interviews. First, I interviewed with the recruiter that had initially done the phone screening. Second, I interviewed with the hiring manager. He was the most intense interviewer. Kind, but fairly serious. Lastly, I interviewed with 2 associate producers of the movie I was to work on. Both very friendly, very personable, and when I left I defintely had the impression that it had gone well.

Interview Questions

• I was surprised at how much they wanted to know what I thought my future plans or future roles might be. They want to know what you 'd ultimately like to be doing in your career, and how Pixar might fit into that.   Answer Question