Pixar

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pixar in August 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a phone interview request from a Pixar recruiter two weeks later. She scheduled me an interview 2 weeks later....It lasted for 30 mins with 2 s/w engineers frm the team....They asked really basic questions from C++, and one basic ques from graphics. Also, they asked 1 behavioral ques......while I answered all questions really well....2 days later I got an email stating they are moving ahead with other candidates. I don't know......I feel I haven't been given a fair chance.....dey hardly interviewed me....probably coz they already had some other candidates in mind....they didn't ask me to even explain any of my projects....or even ask me why am I interested in Pixar/that position. I was soo disappointed.
The interviewers were very friendly though......

Interview Questions

• Difference between virtual and static methods.   View Answer
  • const func, mutable keyword. Tell us a scenario where mutable is used.   Answer Question
  • Dot product and cross product differences and their uses.   Answer Question
  • Tell us about a team project , how did u divide tasks...if you lead the team...and how did you plan?   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Software Engineering Intern
Emeryville, CA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Pixar in March 2008.

Interview Details – I got an on-campus interview first with another Software Engineer. They asked some technical questions as well as behavioral questions. Overall it was a 30 minute interview. Then I got a phone call from the recruiter, stating that Pixar was interested, and went on to the second stage of the interview. I then interviewed with two managers from the Tools group. The interview consistent of coding questions regarding C++ and object-oriented design. They also asked me questions about my previous work experience.

Interview Question – What is polymorphism?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No I did not negotiate since it was just an internship.

Emeryville, CA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Pixar in March 2009.

Interview Details – Was contacted by the recruiter, 2-3 rounds of phone interviews, all of which were group interviews (3-4 on conference mic). Half the questions were general software engineering, half were specific to computer graphics.

Interview Question – How do textures work?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Pixar.

Interview Details – Had an on-campus interview, then many (3-4) phone interviews with specific teams after that.

All interviews asked C++ questions. The first interview was a screening, and the interviews afterwards were with specific teams. Each team had specific needs they were looking for. One team asked OpenGL/GPU algorithms, and others asked general C++/Python questions.

Interview Question – Explain Ambient Occlusion.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Pixar

Worked for Pixar? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pixar Software Engineer Intern interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Pixar employees and interview candidates.