Platts Interview Questions

Updated Mar 13, 2015

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Background fitting, java questions , opengl experience, visa status

Field Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Platts (Houston, TX) in November 2011.

Interview

Cumbersome- several meetings and had to develop a presentation.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

What negotiation? It was a taker it or leave it scenario.

Oracle Applications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Platts (New York, NY) in July 2011.

Interview

Had to attend a detailed phone interview with couple of guys after the staffing company arranged it.
    Finally visited office site for face to face interview with a panel.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to get back to consulting world?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiate in advance.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Platts (Singapore (Singapore)).

Interview

A recruitment firm arranged the interview. There were two rounds of interview. The first round centered around hard skills and getting to know the individual. The second round was based on the individual's soft skills (attitude, behaviour)

Editor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Platts.

Interview

I always wanted to work at Platts and was very happy when in December I got internal referral and my CV was sent to HR. In a couple of days I received a phone call from HR who wanted to arrange an interview for one of the editorial positions. I am coming from overseas and require a visa sponsorship, which usually can be a problem. HR confirmed by e-mail that they are willing to sponsor me if I pass an editorial test and go through the interview. I got an interview with Managing Editor and Editorial Director and then I did one hour editorial test. I enjoyed the interview process and was asked many interesting questions about current affairs and discuss some issues of the industry. My interviewees were friendly and meeting this kind of people really encouraged me to get the job at Platts. Test is not easy, but doable, especially if you prepare in advance. Usually HR would send the information about the test several days in advance and you will have time to prepare.
    I have not heard back from HR for 2 weeks and decided to follow up and get a feedback. I also found that they advertise new position on different desk where my language skills can be useful. I asked HR if I can be considered for this new position as well. HR got back to me straight away saying that they still deciding on the fist position and they are happy to consider me for new role too.
    My interview for the new role on different desk was scheduled in the beginning of January. I met Editor in Chief and Managing Editor. I didn't have to do the test again and my interview went very well according to HR's feedback. Still I was completely clueless about the result of my first interview. However on my second interview I was told that I successfully passed the test. In another 2 weeks I was invited for the second round of interviews for the second position I applied. I met Editor in Chief again and Editorial director, I also was introduced to some members of the team and was showed around the office. During the interview I also was told that the only reason I didn't get an offer for the first position I applied was the fact that it was maternity cover role and the company can only sponsor a visa for full-time positions. Very strange situation, as in the very beginning I was told by e-mail that they are OK to sponsor my visa, otherwise it was no point even to come for an interview.
    Next day I receive a very positive call from HR that my second interview went fantastic and hopefully I will receive a good news soon. He also asked me to send him a copy of my residence permit, as their visa agency wanted to start the process. I have not heard from Platts for a week and e-mailed HR and received back not so positive call, that HR couldn't reach hiring managers as they are away. Today after two and a half weeks I received a call from HR who told that they wanted to make me an offer, but decided to give a job to internal candidate as his role at another department was put at risk.

Results: 3 months of interviews, preparations, anxious waiting for feedback and I wonder if the positions I applied were even available or exciting. Honestly the common reason - "we proceed with more experienced candidate" would be much less heartbreaking. And I believe it shouldn't take 3 months not to give a job to someone.

Editorial Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Platts (London, England (UK)) in October 2014.

Interview

Average, I didn't actually know what to expect but I think the interviewer created a tense environment and was a bit edgy. I've heard about such interview strategy but I didn't expect it. I wasn't expecting an in-depth interview on the phone. And I felt the interviewer was questioning me and not interviewing me.

Interview Questions

• Given your professional qualification, this role won't suitable be for you. I do not see it as the next thing for you. Can you explain how this role fits into your future aspirations?   1 Answer

Senior Analyst Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Platts.

Interview

Written test and 2 rounds of interviews were quite challenging, but if you are in energy or media sectors, the test and interview may not be too difficult. Written test is about macro and micro economics and some writing pieces with some mathematics.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Platts?   1 Answer

Associate Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Platts (London, England (UK)) in August 2014.

Interview

Applied online and heard back from HR within a few days. Called into interview with the hiring manager which was very relaxed and covered Q's regarding my experience and ability to work under dealine pressure, in a team etc etc. Then moved onto more technical aspects of the oil market, its pricing and current regulatory issues and changes, this formed the bulk of the interview time. Was given a tour of the office and met a few employees.
    Didn't hear anything from HR after, so chased up (they weren't very organised throughout the process, had to do alot of chasing). Overall a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about Dodd-Frank regulation as it relates to the oil market.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Platts.

Interview

Introduced through a mutual contact to the Head of CDM. Interview was extremely positive with her ending by saying she wanted me to meet her manager when he is in town. I followed up with a thank you email and 2 days later she replied saying the scope of the role has changed and they will be in touch. After not hearing anything I chased her and she replied that there has been no change. Then 3 weeks after, the role was posted on the website. I contacted her again and she said they have already given an offer & I was not qualified as they wanted an ex-client of theirs or an oil and gas industry specialist - when I had asked her originally if my background was suitable she said it was great & said alot of people come in from outside of the industry with good sales experience. Why did she then waste both our time in calling me in? Especially my time as I prepared for over 10 hours..quite rude and not the type of person I would like to work for...

Editorial Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Platts (London, England (UK)) in June 2014.

Interview

I had an initial interview with the Operations Manager and an Editor. We talked about my experience and motivations, what I knew about the company and what I would be expected to do. That went pretty well and I was invited back 2 days later to meet a couple of members of the team, to do some tests on Excel, VBA, programming and for more questions. That seemed to go pretty well as well.
    Initially I was told that they wanted to make decision very very quickly but at the interview I was told they weren't going to hurry and make the wrong decision. The decision maker went away for a fortnight then decided to look for more candidates before making a decision, according to the recruiter. I'm still waiting to hear either way.