Platts Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2014
Updated Sep 3, 2014

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Background fitting, java questions , opengl experience, visa status

Field Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Platts in November 2011.

Cumbersome- several meetings and had to develop a presentation.

Interview Questions
    What negotiation? It was a taker it or leave it scenario.

Oracle Applications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Platts in July 2011.

Had to attend a detailed phone interview with couple of guys after the staffing company arranged it.
    Finally visited office site for face to face interview with a panel.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to get back to consulting world?   View Answer
    Negotiate in advance.

Senior Analyst Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Platts.

Written test and 2 rounds of interviews were quite challenging, but if you are in energy or media sectors, the test and interview may not be too difficult. Written test is about macro and micro economics and some writing pieces with some mathematics.

Associate Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Platts in August 2014.

Applied online and heard back from HR within a few days. Called into interview with the hiring manager which was very relaxed and covered Q's regarding my experience and ability to work under dealine pressure, in a team etc etc. Then moved onto more technical aspects of the oil market, its pricing and current regulatory issues and changes, this formed the bulk of the interview time. Was given a tour of the office and met a few employees.
    Didn't hear anything from HR after, so chased up (they weren't very organised throughout the process, had to do alot of chasing). Overall a positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about Dodd-Frank regulation as it relates to the oil market.   Answer Question

Client Development Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Platts.

Introduced through a mutual contact to the Head of CDM. Interview was extremely positive with her ending by saying she wanted me to meet her manager when he is in town. I followed up with a thank you email and 2 days later she replied saying the scope of the role has changed and they will be in touch. After not hearing anything I chased her and she replied that there has been no change. Then 3 weeks after, the role was posted on the website. I contacted her again and she said they have already given an offer & I was not qualified as they wanted an ex-client of theirs or an oil and gas industry specialist - when I had asked her originally if my background was suitable she said it was great & said alot of people come in from outside of the industry with good sales experience. Why did she then waste both our time in calling me in? Especially my time as I prepared for over 10 hours..quite rude and not the type of person I would like to work for...

Editorial Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Platts in June 2014.

I had an initial interview with the Operations Manager and an Editor. We talked about my experience and motivations, what I knew about the company and what I would be expected to do. That went pretty well and I was invited back 2 days later to meet a couple of members of the team, to do some tests on Excel, VBA, programming and for more questions. That seemed to go pretty well as well.
    Initially I was told that they wanted to make decision very very quickly but at the interview I was told they weren't going to hurry and make the wrong decision. The decision maker went away for a fortnight then decided to look for more candidates before making a decision, according to the recruiter. I'm still waiting to hear either way.

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Platts in September 2011.

Pretty straightforward, know the energy industry and analytical thinking

Reporter Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Platts in June 2011.

First HR called and did a short phone interview asking general questions about the company and my resume and work experience. I was think told a few days later I was invited to Platt's office in DC for a one on one interview with a senior staff editor.

The interview started off very difficult, the interviewer even said Platts has one of the most difficult in person interviews around. First I was asked questions about the company then I was asked general economics and energy questions:
    Supply and demand
    Where does electricity come from? hint its natural gas. Don't say anything wind or solar energy.
    What are other names for fossil fuels?
    What is the greenhouse effect?
    What are some greenhouse gasses besides CO2? - ex. methane gas

Then i needed to do a few math problems involving averages.
     Ex. If you knew the price of an energy commodity for July and knew price of the combined July and August price. How do you find the August price?

If you have the price of Sept and the price of the Sep/Oct/Nov bundle price can you find the individual price of Oct and the individual price of Nov? The answer is no, you can only find the average of the Oct and Nov bundles.

They were easy problems but my main concern was that they were too easy so I was looking for a trap. There wasn't a trap. Basically they wanted to see your reasoning skills.

After about an hour with the editor I spoke to his boss. This was more of a chat about who I was and what I could bring to the company. This informal type of interview lasted about 15 min.

Then I was shown around the office and met a few of the other reporters.

Interview Questions
    • Where does electricity come from? What is the greenhouse effect? What are some greenhouse gasses?   View Answer
    • If you have the price of an energy commodity for Sept and the price of the combined Sept/Oct/Nov bundle can you find the discrete price of Oct and Nov?   View Answer

Channel Partner Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Platts in February 2009.

The hiring process consisted in submitted my application online first. I was then shortlisted and called by HR for a first 30 min phone interview. 24-48 hours later I was asked for 3 more phone interviews respectively with the CFO, a sales director which happened other a two-week period. I then had a 1:1 Interview with the Channel Partner Director in London. All went very well and I was confident. I was not made an offer that time based purely on the desired location and Platts went on offering the role to someoone based in New-York. I was told if I could relocate, the job was mind.