PlayNetwork

3 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Receptionist Interview

Receptionist

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at PlayNetwork.

Interview Details – Phone interview, in person interview with HR then managers

Interview Question – How do you align with the Guiding Principles?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was able to negotiate almost $5 more an hour.

Very Easy Interview

Music & Messaging Coordinator Interview

Music & Messaging Coordinator
Redmond, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at PlayNetwork in January 2012.

Interview Details – I applied on December 28 and, after 2 interviews, received a rejection email on January 25. Although the job was described as an entry-level position, the questions asked in the telephone interview (conducted by an HR person who has no background in media) indicated a level of responsibility that went far beyond production & support basics. Which was fine with me. All to the good, it seemed initially. A week later, I was asked to interview in person with the managers whose departments I would have served on a 50/50 basis. This was on the Friday after the snow & ice storm; getting to PlayNetwork's Redmond facility proved difficult in those weather conditions. The bus routes that serve the company's stretch of NE 148th were on re-route, meaning they did not stop anywhere near the office park. Undeterred, I slogged through 15 blocks of slush to make the interview, an action that ought to have spoken volumes re my resourcefulness & determination, but apparently didn't.

The 2 managers gushed endlessly with praise over my cover letter & resume, singling out adjective choices of which they were particularly fond. It was scarcely like an interview at all, more like a fireside chat. They talked and talked; i interjected observations here and there, and they only asked 1 or 2 direct questions during our 40-minute session. Even more so than in the phone screen, it was clear that they would tailor the role to encompass my wide range of talents. The job description said nothing about copy writing or recording voice-overs, but the managers seemed eager to extract the maximum for a salary that was only in the low to mid 30s. They went on and on and on re how impressed they were with my background, but that they had to interview dozens of other applicants. (?) The next day, I followed up with a thank-you note to HR, including a link to an audio sampler of mine that I had uploaded to Box.net. Oddly enough, for an audio production job, they had not requested tangible proof of audio expertise. As it turns out, no one at PlayNetwork listened to the file, and the 5 references I supplied were not contacted. No one at PlayNetwork read my LinkedIn profile or the references contained therein. What, then, was the decision based on? My advice to other candidates regarding this company: don't even bother.

Interview Question – There really were no questions, mostly industry chatter.

Lots of boasting about the company's roster of clients, plus slightly worried-sounding dismissals of the company's competitors.
  Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at PlayNetwork in May 2012.

Interview Details – My overall impression of this company is that they are extremely disorganized as a whole.

I applied online through LinkedIn and about a week later I received an email from the recruiter asking if I wanted to set up a time for a phone interview. The phone interview went fairly well; it was clear to both of us that I was overqualified for the position but the pay was good for the position and the recruiter assured me there would be plenty of room for advancement. The following day they sent me an email asking if I'd like to come in for a physical interview about a week later.

Just a bit of warning--the building is not directly on the street. You have to drive through the parking lot a little ways to find it. When I arrived for my interview at 8am the building was dark inside. I tried both doors and they were locked. I began going through my phone to see if I had a number to call but then the manager of the department opened the door to let me in. Ok, not a big deal. Let's do this. The manager led me into a conference room and we sat down. He was reading my resume (for the first time, apparently) and occasionally asked me a question or two about something in it. Mostly it was just me sitting there while he was reading. When he finished, we talked a bit about the position and the company; I asked about opportunities for learning and/or advancement and he assured me there is plenty. The overall feeling I got was that they liked me enough already and this interview was just a technicality.

Once the interview part was over he told me I needed to do some quick skills assessments on a computer. He first said we were going to go across the street to offices over there but then he thought we could use the computer in the conference room. Neither he nor the computer were ready for these assessments. After watching him fiddle with the computer for almost 10 minutes, it seemed ready to go. He walked me around the corner and showed me where he'd be and told me to come grab him when I was finished. The assessments were extremely simple--basic tasks in Outlook, find info in their database, a typing test, and a writing sample. Outlook was not set up on this computer, so I did that. Apparently he logged in to the computer with his own user profile because it ended up being his email. Awkward! I completed the tasks without reading anything and went and got him. We ended the interview on the note that they would be making a decision by the end of the week and that I would definitely hear from them either way.

On Friday afternoon I still hadn't heard anything so I sent an email to the recruiter asking if she had any news for me. She was out of town for the next couple of weeks. I then sent an email to the interviewer asking the same thing. On Monday I received an email from their system telling me I was not selected. On Friday that week I received a response from the interviewer saying they had not yet filled the position but he would let me know once they do. A week after that I received ANOTHER email from their system telling me I wasn't selected.

Interview Question – The skill assessments were unexpected. I wish I had known about them prior to going in because they ended up making me late to my current position.   Answer Question

Worked for PlayNetwork? Contribute to the Community!