Playdom Interview Questions & Reviews

2.9

BI Live Ops Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Playdom in April 2013.

I submitted my resume via an employee referral and didn't hear anything for 3 weeks. Once I got a response, the process moved very quickly.

I had an initial interview with the hiring manager, then 3 2-person interviews with employees and managers from various disciplines. We covered some technical questions, my familiarity with the product, and some career/fit questions.

There were a few repeated questions between the interviews, which suggested that the interviewers weren't coordinating with each other.

Interview Questions
    The hiring manager and HR representative pushed for approval to get me a higher salary than had been approved, plus a hiring bonus.

Senior Mobile Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Playdom in October 2013.

Telephone interviews with recruiter, then a team leader. Then I was failed by a Chinese senior software manager after I finished my interview with the second interviewer(I was scheduled to meet 9 interviewers). I was told by my recruiter coordinator that the manager thinks my culture does not fit. BTW, the interviews questions are easy. The way to quit my onsite interview with such a ridiculous reason makes me believe that even if I was admitted, I would not work happily in this team.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, except you know nothing about what this manager is thinking about even if the interview goes well.   Answer Question

Senior Flash Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Playdom in August 2013.

Kind of hit-or-miss. Mostly very good, though demanding, interviews, and some were pointless, and a couple were no-shows.

The process was coordinated by a recruiter and a contact at Disney Interactive. At this level, it was all streamlined and professional. The actual Playdom interviews, however, were wildly inconsistent.

All told: Two phone interviews, one Skype interview (with 3-5 interviewers), one onsite interview (with 5 interviewers).

First phone interview was a nontechnical screening.

Second phone interview was with an engineer. He was supposed to call me, but didn't. No email or anything. I emailed my contact, but heard nothing, so I just waited by the phone.

Afterward he apologized, saying he had been busy, and we set up another time. The second attempt went well: he asked an open-ended question about how I would solve a real-world problem, writing a simple soccer game simulation, a very relevant problem. It was an opportunity to show off my understanding of all aspects: programming methods, user input, physics models, animation techniques. I felt like I nailed this one, and we seemed to have a really good rapport by the end.

The Skype session: This was supposed to be a series of 4 45-minute interviews with engineers. The first engineer didn't show (called in sick), so I sat around for 45 minutes. The other interviews were quite technical, asking me to solve various abstract programming problems, and some specific and technical Flash questions. One interviewee used collabedit to watch me write code to solve a problem. I was permitted to code in any language I felt comfortable in (I used C and a little pseudocode).

For the onsite interview: Disney paid for the airfare and a rental car in Palo Alto. It was a hectic day of interviews, bookended by meetings with my Disney contact. He was friendly and made me feel pretty comfortable. At the end, he even asked me to review the interviews, which I thought was pretty cool. In all, a very professional experience.

The interviews themselves were *wildly* varying, and I had to stay on my toes. I was put in a tiny office with a whiteboard, and the interviewers came to me. Each was supposed to last about an hour.

Some of the interviewers asked very tricky technical problems and I had to whiteboard a solution. Some required writing actual C code. One interviewer actively challenged everything I said, which I took to be a very welcome addition to the interview--made me think on my feet and defend my choices. It reminded me of graduate school.

One interviewer had a very thick accent and spoke quietly, and I had a lot of trouble understanding. He had the most challenging problems (the type where the solution is tricky, either you see it or you don't). I don't think I fared very well.

One interview was a complete, hilarious loss. The young-looking engineer doing the interview was a game specialist, and he opened by asking me what games I liked to play, and if I consider myself a gamer. I listed a few (I play games, but I'm not hardcore) and as I spoke, he looked bored and started messing with his phone. (I took this as part of the interview at the time.) When I told him I had just finished Rockstar's L.A. Noire, he said, "Yeah, that game was pretty big. Like TWO YEARS ago." He then said he had another meeting and excused himself. In total this interview was less than 15 minutes.

My contact told me I'd hear from them within 24 hours. It took more than a week, and I found out I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions
    • Given 2 parallel rows of N equally-spaced dots, and N line segments, each connecting a dot from each row, give an algorithm to efficiently remove the least number of segments to eliminate all segment crossings.

--I could me misrepresenting the problem, as it was mumbled into the table with a very thick accent. I didn't get the solution. I didn't even understand the solution after the interviewer revealed it, though it involved dynamic programming.
        Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Playdom.

a recruiter contacted me with the open position and sent me an open question. I replied with my solution and she arranged an on-site right away. They were nice enough to pay my air tickets as well.

Interview Questions
    • Find the longest sub sequence of an integer array.   View Answer

Game Services Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Playdom in July 2012.

Internal referral, so it was a bit last minute / thrown together. I never did receive a list of who I was meeting with, or even how many people I would be meeting with.

For a lead position, I met with one of the two managers on the team, the other lead, and two of the analysts. Wrap up was with the VP for the organization.

Interview Questions
    • None of them were unexpected or difficult. I think the one that caught me most off guard was "Do you want this job? Yes or no?"   Answer Question
    They called with an offer significantly lower than I expected, and I countered with what I had been led to expect. They came back with exactly what I wanted. (I found out later, I had been offered the salary for the wrong position, initially.)

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Playdom in February 2013.

its standard HR and Interview process as with other SF companies.

Interview Questions

found that its not a good company to join overall, no growth in career, salary or company itself.

Game Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Playdom in February 2012.

Initial communication was very fast for a production push was needed. After first being introduced through a shared contact, I was given a phone interview where I talked with the lead designer and one of our producers. They were pleasant to speak with and seemed interested in hiring me on. I was scheduled for a in-person interview where I met four other members of the team who proceeded to ask me questions pertaining to their game. After the basic interview process, I was asked questions pertaining to the industry and overall opinions of games as well as supporting my arguments. I left the interview pleasantly surprised by the team and soon after was offered a position in the company.

Interview Questions
    • Two questions spring to mind: being asked what my favorite game is and how much would I work for   View Answer
    As this was an entry-level position with no prior experience, there wasn't much to negotiate. I gladly accepted as the team seemed good to work with and the offer was enough to start.

Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Playdom in December 2011.

Interview was very casual, which helped to ease nervousness.

They brought in 2-3 employees of different disciplines to ask questions, which was expected since company cultural fit is important in an Agile shop.

The final round of questions were from an HR rep, and the discipline leads. They asked some questions that really had me digging deep to answer. It was more of a question to reveal a person's character, drive, motivations, etc. This was the first time I found myself having to think very deeply, which they knew and had allotted time for.

I was finally given an art test to take home and complete, while tracking my time doing so. Being entry level for a new industry domain, I guess I was too honest in reporting how long the art test took me to complete.

The producer replied cordially that my current skill level did not match up with their needs, but definitely to reapply when I've gained some experience.

Interview Questions
    • For the sake of keeping their interview's integrity, I will not reveal the difficult question. They're a good shop and I'd only want the best fit people to earn their way into it.   Answer Question

Senioer Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Playdom in September 2012.

The interview process (3 phone calls, onsite and offer) took less than 2 weeks.
    Very professional and straight forward

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not difficult, they tested my ability to work with people and the process I use to find and recognize good candidates.   Answer Question
    I did not need to negotiate. The offer was quite generous.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Playdom in May 2011.

The interviews were set up quickly and professionally managed. The initial set of interviews included 3 interviews set up on the same day with people on my team. The last interview was with a technical expert who mostly focused on computer science knowledge and posed questions for me to solve on the fly.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult or unexpected questions. There were the usual questions you would expect from a similar Google or Microsoft interview like how to balance an AVL tree and details about C++ and Java and various software (linux questions, mysql questions, etc.)   Answer Question
    I told them what I was expecting and we went back and forth a couple of times before I accepted. It took only a few days.

Worked for Playdom? Contribute to the Community!