Playdom

2.7

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Mobile Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Playdom in October 2013.

Telephone interviews with recruiter, then a team leader. Then I was failed by a Chinese senior software manager after I finished my interview with the second interviewer(I was scheduled to meet 9 interviewers). I was told by my recruiter coordinator that the manager thinks my culture does not fit. BTW, the interviews questions are easy. The way to quit my onsite interview with such a ridiculous reason makes me believe that even if I was admitted, I would not work happily in this team.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, except you know nothing about what this manager is thinking about even if the interview goes well.   Answer Question

Senior Flash Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Playdom in August 2013.

Kind of hit-or-miss. Mostly very good, though demanding, interviews, and some were pointless, and a couple were no-shows.

The process was coordinated by a recruiter and a contact at Disney Interactive. At this level, it was all streamlined and professional. The actual Playdom interviews, however, were wildly inconsistent.

All told: Two phone interviews, one Skype interview (with 3-5 interviewers), one onsite interview (with 5 interviewers).

First phone interview was a nontechnical screening.

Second phone interview was with an engineer. He was supposed to call me, but didn't. No email or anything. I emailed my contact, but heard nothing, so I just waited by the phone.

Afterward he apologized, saying he had been busy, and we set up another time. The second attempt went well: he asked an open-ended question about how I would solve a real-world problem, writing a simple soccer game simulation, a very relevant problem. It was an opportunity to show off my understanding of all aspects: programming methods, user input, physics models, animation techniques. I felt like I nailed this one, and we seemed to have a really good rapport by the end.

The Skype session: This was supposed to be a series of 4 45-minute interviews with engineers. The first engineer didn't show (called in sick), so I sat around for 45 minutes. The other interviews were quite technical, asking me to solve various abstract programming problems, and some specific and technical Flash questions. One interviewee used collabedit to watch me write code to solve a problem. I was permitted to code in any language I felt comfortable in (I used C and a little pseudocode).

For the onsite interview: Disney paid for the airfare and a rental car in Palo Alto. It was a hectic day of interviews, bookended by meetings with my Disney contact. He was friendly and made me feel pretty comfortable. At the end, he even asked me to review the interviews, which I thought was pretty cool. In all, a very professional experience.

The interviews themselves were *wildly* varying, and I had to stay on my toes. I was put in a tiny office with a whiteboard, and the interviewers came to me. Each was supposed to last about an hour.

Some of the interviewers asked very tricky technical problems and I had to whiteboard a solution. Some required writing actual C code. One interviewer actively challenged everything I said, which I took to be a very welcome addition to the interview--made me think on my feet and defend my choices. It reminded me of graduate school.

One interviewer had a very thick accent and spoke quietly, and I had a lot of trouble understanding. He had the most challenging problems (the type where the solution is tricky, either you see it or you don't). I don't think I fared very well.

One interview was a complete, hilarious loss. The young-looking engineer doing the interview was a game specialist, and he opened by asking me what games I liked to play, and if I consider myself a gamer. I listed a few (I play games, but I'm not hardcore) and as I spoke, he looked bored and started messing with his phone. (I took this as part of the interview at the time.) When I told him I had just finished Rockstar's L.A. Noire, he said, "Yeah, that game was pretty big. Like TWO YEARS ago." He then said he had another meeting and excused himself. In total this interview was less than 15 minutes.

My contact told me I'd hear from them within 24 hours. It took more than a week, and I found out I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions
    • Given 2 parallel rows of N equally-spaced dots, and N line segments, each connecting a dot from each row, give an algorithm to efficiently remove the least number of segments to eliminate all segment crossings.

--I could me misrepresenting the problem, as it was mumbled into the table with a very thick accent. I didn't get the solution. I didn't even understand the solution after the interviewer revealed it, though it involved dynamic programming.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Playdom in February 2013.

its standard HR and Interview process as with other SF companies.

Interview Questions

found that its not a good company to join overall, no growth in career, salary or company itself.

Senioer Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Playdom in September 2012.

The interview process (3 phone calls, onsite and offer) took less than 2 weeks.
    Very professional and straight forward

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not difficult, they tested my ability to work with people and the process I use to find and recognize good candidates.   Answer Question
    I did not need to negotiate. The offer was quite generous.

Game Services Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Playdom in July 2012.

Internal referral, so it was a bit last minute / thrown together. I never did receive a list of who I was meeting with, or even how many people I would be meeting with.

For a lead position, I met with one of the two managers on the team, the other lead, and two of the analysts. Wrap up was with the VP for the organization.

Interview Questions
    • None of them were unexpected or difficult. I think the one that caught me most off guard was "Do you want this job? Yes or no?"   Answer Question
    They called with an offer significantly lower than I expected, and I countered with what I had been led to expect. They came back with exactly what I wanted. (I found out later, I had been offered the salary for the wrong position, initially.)

Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Playdom in June 2012.

A colleague referred me to the hiring manager. A quick phone screen later I was scheduled to go onsite for a full round of interviews. HR scheduled the interview with a 3 people panel, but had to reschedule it out for a week, as the hiring manager was not in town on the day of the interview.
    Sitting in the lobby waiting for the first person on my panel to come by, I realized that Playdom exists as a separate brand than Disney, and seem to have no branding/feel as Disney. The first person on my schedule never materialized, hence the HR representative came out and gave me a tour of the place. The second person on my panel was someone who was put on the schedule at the last second and seemed quite junior. He asked me really high level questions on my background and my interests. He kept looking at the watch, hoping that they next person on the panel would show up. The next person arrived 15 minutes late, and asked me the same question on my background. He asked me some high level questions on process, the industry, and my thoughts on the same. Finally, I had a conversation with the hiring manager who explained the position in more detail. He asked me about my background (again!), and let me ask questions.

The company still seems like an early startup - not organized, no platforms, no process. Overall, it seemed like the company needs some growing up to do, before it can attract serious talent.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think about mobile gaming - trends, future, strategy?   Answer Question

User Acquisition Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Playdom in December 2011.

Office staff were very friendly. The team members who interviewed me were very smart and analytical.

The interview consisted a interview 30min with 2 team members, 1 senior analyst, and finally the manager. The 3 rounds of interview were behavioral / experience, then programming / math, and then asking questions about user acquisition. Overall the process was very positive and exciting, however you need to be very experienced in SQL to apply.

Product Manager - Virals Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Playdom in November 2011.

Initial phone interview with an HR recruiter to talk about my resume, technical skills and what my interest was in the position. I was explained the interview process and setup for an interview with the hiring manager.

The following week I had a 30 minute conversation with the hiring manager where we discussed the position, the company's culture and my background. After the phone call, I was scheduled for a Skype panel interview.

I met with 4 employees total including the manager. I was asked to basic workplace behavior questions, as well as what I could contribute to the organization.

Interview Questions
    • Do you think Steve Jobs was a good Product Manager? Why?   Answer Question
    • What considerations do you need to take into account when designing for mobile vs. desktop?   Answer Question
    • What is multivariate testing?   Answer Question

Had a more more competitive offer

Some Analyst/Data Scientist Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Playdom in September 2011.

Out the blue one day, I received an email from one of the directors. He got hold on my resume from another colleague in the industry. He has a job opening that is perfect for me. He was very excited to talk to me. Spoke via email, then phone. Finally brought me in for an interview.

The interview was for the entire day. 1:1 with all the other analysts (mostly PhD holders of course). Questions mostly consist of the usual 5 year plan, short problems pertaining to statistical/mathematical concepts. Apparently, some of my strengths pertaining to machine learning are not quite valued here.If you want to build smarter social games, you need machine learning. Whatever.

They emphasized a lot on SQL. I am not a SQL developer. That is not my job function. But of course, I know the basics of SQL. If required and as needed, I can retrieve/insert/join tables.

Interestingly, enough the last interviewer mentioned that he don't see the need to scrutinize the candidate with pointless SQL questions. Because as a PhD holder, if you need to use a certain tool, you research and learn on your own. I concur.

DIMG bought Playdom. What I heard is most Playdom employees cashed out and left. There are the few that stayed but no sure about the future. Yes Zygna is the main competitor.

Front-end Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Playdom in August 2011.

I was referred by one of their current employees; I gave them a number of positions I was interested in and was interviewed for my first pick - front-end engineer. They setup a phone interview with one of their software engineers. The interview went well, at least I thought so, the only problem was that the gentlemen had a very thick Indian accent, which caused a lot of frustration at times. The questions were more or less straightforward and generic, considering the diversity of technologies they work with within the group (Objective-C, C++, Flash, Javascript, etc.). I wish I was given a list of what technologies I would be quizzed on so that I could prepare more; it was not obvious from the job posting.

What really annoyed me was the lack of response afterwards. I e-mailed them a few days after and the HR lady replied apologizing and saying she we'll get back to me with feedback. I got nothing. It took the person who referred me complaining to HR to get them to write me an e-mail saying I have an impressing skillset yet they will be going with someone else.