Plexus

Updated Dec 15, 2014

2.8

Product Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Neenah, WI

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Plexus in April 2011.

Phone interview was brief and to the point. Prior experience, company values - overall just a screening.

Tour of the company followed at my next visit. The premises are impressive on the manufacturing floor.

In person interview was quite difficult. Round-Robin style group interview took place after I took 15 minutes to present myself and my prior experiences. The group interview was difficult mainly because each interviewer had a specific set of questions to ask, and each question could compound off the previous answer you gave. Be careful with what examples that you use from your previous experience.

Technical questions were present but minimal for an engineering position. Total time elapsed for the interview was 1 hour 30 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • You are given a box with 4 holes. The holes are not in proper alignment within the assembly. What do you do to fix the problem?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Plexus in August 2009.

For any customer-facing position, Plexus utilizes a rigorous interview process. This will typically consist of a one or more phone interviews (for external candidates) followed by an invitation to interview in person. This will start with a candidate-prepared PowerPoint presentation presented to an interview team of 6 to 10 people. Following this will be one-on-one interviews with approximtely 6 individuals on the interview team. The team will compare notes and the candidate will be informed of the hiring decision anywhere from 1 to 30 days later.

Interview Questions
    • Describe why you are a good fit for this position.   View Answer

Program Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Plexus in July 2014.

Interestingly, had to prepare and deliver a PowerPoint presentation on why I should be hired. Wasn't given the presentation template until the night before and had to email it by 9:00am the next day. HR Recruiter thought it was a great presentation although the audience provided very little feedback. Audience was another HR person, 3 program managers and the operations manager.

Interview Questions
    • How do you organize and prepare yourself for a busy day?   View Answer

Design Engineer Graduate Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bayan Lepas (Malaysia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bayan Lepas (Malaysia)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Plexus.

Process was quick and efficient. Possibly because I had a previous interview for another position with a hiring manager related to the department, so the initial interview used material and feedback from the previous interview.

For the sake of convenience and efficiency I'll merge the reviews of both interviews into one since it was for a very similar position.

First interview was very technical since it was an interview for a junior executive position. Continuously throughout the interview the hiring manager was probing my knowledge in the technical area to ascertain if I had knowledge in areas either dealing directly with the job or related to the job scope. There was a lot of interaction and enthusiasm which is a very inspiring aspect which I observed to be severely lacking in most interviews with other employers. There was some discussion and some teaching/learning of new things on a whiteboard - which was used as material for questions which followed. A week after the interview I was informed that unfortunately a more experienced candidate got the job, but they soon referred me to a very similar position(only with the title of graduate trainee and the option to learn from an array of other departments before being converted to permanent). This leads me to the second interview.

Second interview was not so technical, but more of a behaviourial analysis and aptitude analysis, determining which departments or areas I was more inclined towards, in addition to gauging my passion. The director of operations introduced me to the different functional managers and had us exchange knowledge, further affirming and categorizing areas in which I am interested in, or could improve on. After meeting the other managers, it further augmented my interest in the company as the motivation, enthusiasm, and knowledge I observed in the manager during the previous interview did not appear to be a one-off occurence.

Interview Questions
    • Some questions that were asked(may not be exact question, but rather as I understood or remember them):

Q: Explain or share knowledge of RTOS(Real-Time Operating System)
      A: I didn't know what they were, but was offered a brief explanation.

Q: Now that you know what RTOS is, given a printer, would you rather use a RTOS or a regular operating system such as, windows or linux in it.
      A: No correct answer, but rather the interviewer wished to see my train of thought.

Q: Have you heard of an Interrupt before?
      A: I didn't know but they shared with me what it was. Google it up, Interrupt handler.

Q: Given a function:
      int func(int *x)
      int t;
      t = *x * *x;
      return t;
      }
      A: I think ths is simple enough, it's a function which squares the value at the given memory location.

Q: And here's the relatively tough one. You are given a microprocessor and a square clock wave entering it. The clock wave has a maximum frequency of 250hz. Within a tolerance of 25%-75%, design a function within the microprocessor which interates at a certain interval, x, which will calculate the average frequency of the input clock wave.

A: At first I didn't get the answer but after some illustration, the picture became clearer. What you want to do is store the previous state recorded, and then check it with current state(whether it be 0 or 1) then execute a +1 to a counter if previous state = 0 and current state = 1. Answer I gave was something like this:

void loop()
      {
      static int prev, counter, freq, x;
      int curr;

if(prev==0 && curr = 1)
      counter++;
      x++;

freq = counter/(x)(t);
      }

x counts the number of times the function iterates regardless of whether it has detected a change in state. t on the other hand is the timing of the loop function, found by converting the 250hz into seconds(4ms) and then taking the value of 25% - 75% of that 4ms.

Analog Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Plexus in October 2010.

The first interviewer was a new engineer coming to recruit for Plexus. The on-site interview first started with a benefits briefing followed by technical questions. The technical questions were presented by two engineers. The subject was about circuit analysis and practical components. After this I spoke two different managers. One was a project manager and the other was a staffing manager. I spoke to the project manager first and he asked about my college experience and projects that I have worked on. He also asked what I would do to design a headphone amplifier. The staffing manager would be given projects and then assign manpower to those specific projects. The project manager would be in charge of said projects. If you had a problem, then you could go and see the staffing manager. The staffing manager asked me where I felt that I could fit in. I faltered and said that I could see myself in any position. I should have stated a more assertive answer. Finally there was a group interview at lunch, which was a behavioral interview. I should have expressed myself more freely and more confidently. I learned a lot from this process and will become better at this process.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Plexus in March 2012.

The Interview session is simple. However candidates need to know more about EMS industry, EMS environment, PCBA experience, EMS culture. Customer sudden upsize demand, last minute PO, many ECO activities, RMA is high return.

Interview Questions
    Basic pay need to higher as the internal increment and promotion is very very limited.

Senior Embedded Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Plexus.

Applied from India through linkedin for a Malaysia based position. Initially they ask you to fill up a skill set form wherein you list the competencies for the mentioned platforms/tools/programming languages etc. Based on the information they decide to proceed. Got a confirmation for technical skype call with functional manager in Malaysia. The call lasted for 1.5 hrs with majority of the questions based on embedded C. Not very difficult. Finally one design question on describing various modules of vending machine from embedded developer point of view. The call went fine. Finally manager asked about the salary expectation. I had done a little research on the salary part prior to the interview and based on the information available it seemed Malaysia did not offer much significant advantage in terms of compensation. I mentioned 5 times the monthly living cost which was probably too much to ask for.

HR did not bother to give any feedback proactively as well as not even after asking for it.

Interview Questions
    • int x=20,y=35;
      x=y++ + x++;

ptr+=2;
      printf("%s\n",ptr);
      *temp = *ptr++;
      printf("%s\n",ptr);

What is the final value of port1?
      unsigned short port1 = 0x1212FF22;

int const a;
      const int *a;
      int * const a;
      int const * a const;

Please comment on the following interrupt service routine code:
      __interrupt double compute_area(double radius)
          double area = PI * radius * radius;
          printf("\nArea = %f", area);
          return area;

#define SQR( a ) a*a
      printf("Answer is %d\n",SQR(6+1));

Review his function and identify any issues or problems with this function

char* GetNewStringAsUppercase(char* string1)
          int i=0;
          char string2[20];
          while (i<20 && *(string1+i) != '\0')
              string2[i] = toupper (*(string1+i));
              ++i;
          string2[i] = '\0';
          return string2;

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Neenah, WI

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Plexus.

Talked to a recruiter at a career fair, then the next day (or 2 days later) had an interview on campus. Pretty routine interview asking me about my resume and experiences. He said he'd recommend me for the next step, and a week or two later I got an email from them. I drove out to Neenah WI (they paid for gas and the hotel), and had an all day interview consisting of a tour, meeting with HR (they went over benefits, which I thought was really weird), and a couple of skills tests. One test was about the software process (requirements, design, implementation, etc), and one was a programming test. They said they had the same test for all skill levels, and I missed a fair amount of questions. Got an offer a week later via email.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think I want to hear
      Had other skills questions

Answer Question

They only gave me about a week to decide, the offer was quite a bit lower than others I had gotten (though still quite reasonable), and it was out in Neenah WI - I got a job closer to home

Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo Grove, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Plexus.

Phone interview and two on-site visits. HR intern handled most of the arrangements. Good impressions, site does a very good job of house-keeping, which provides a deceptively good impression. Staff is very well qualified; however, middle to upper management a slight smug.

Interview Questions
    • Heavily regulated by the FDA and ISO, have familiarity with these as they relate to the medical sector. Obviously, level of familiarity should be commensurate to the position.   Answer Question
    Very open, however, I had a previous professional relationship w/ the hiring manager and so it was not antagonistic in the least.

Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Plexus.

was young and looking to move West to enjoy the Rocky Mountains.
    The hiring engagement was pretty straight forward. The initial HR representative that I spoke to seemed a bit unpolished, but once you get through to a hiring manger it is much better. For electrical engineering positions you should expect a standard battery of technical questions starting from basic to more advanced – dust off you college text books. People were friendly and seemed to like their jobs. It took a long time for them to tell me one way or another if I got the job. I did not appreciate that.

Interview Questions
    • A standard set of technical questions starting from basic to more advanced and an informal lunch for asking questions.   Answer Question